SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Rode it in to work today, it did great!

Although most of you think I'm some kind of mechanical wizard like Larry (igofar), (yeah, I've done a lot of work to these bikes, but not necessarily mechanical), I'm not a wizard. I totally amaze myself when I tear down the front of a ST1300 engine, replace parts (like the waterpump, clutch, clutch slave,etc) and put it all back together and it not only works, but doesn't leak either! So I'm thrilled at the results on this bike!

When I bought this bike it only had about 1,500 miles on it, so changing the oil, filter, rear end oil and coolant. And installing all new tupperware on it, including the instruments and new(er) mufflers, it didn't require too much mechanical.

Over the (almost) 5 years and 65,000 miles, I have replaced/rebuilt the following mechanical:

1. Throttlebody wax assembly (never idled properly when I first bought it)
2. Rear brake locked up while putting on new pads, required:
2.a. SMC rebuild
2.b. Rear Brake MC rebuild
2.c. Rear Brake Caliber rebuild
3. Clutch Slave replaced (clutch was slipping, thought I would try this first - although it didn't fix my problem, it was over due)
4. Clutch plates/springs replaced (this fixed the slipping clutch)
5. Waterpump replaced (replaced the waterpump in the original front cover - it showed signs that it was starting to leak)
6. Replaced Forks (I was not convinced that the forks were the original. They looked to have had more than 1,500 miles on them.)
7. One turn signal connector was broken off and had to be replaced.

Top Bottom