A Little Rest For The ST and Temecula Steve

I hope you're good... no wheelies, drag racing, back roads yeah.... but I wouldn't do em on the weekends..... Went down 76 from Vista > Henshaw > Anza > mountain Center (before the fire) two weeks ago, on a Wednesday, VERY little traffic..... very nice...... (LITTLE TRAFFIC).

You'll probably need some Jacuzzi time afterwards :)

steve

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Great news. Steve got out on his first ride today since his surgery!

We met up early in the morning at the 76 Station in Temecula where we usually meet up, and rode Highway 79 east as far as Santa Ysabel, which is near Julian. Perfect temperatures and almost zero traffic. Took a break at Dudley's Bakery which is famous for its fresh-baked bread. For the return ride we decided to throw in some twisties and great scenery and go across Mesa Grande on the way to Highway 76.

Mesa Grande was such great fun that we decided to take the east grade of Palomar Mountain (S7) and stop at Mother's restaurant for a few minutes. The then took the south grade (S6), which is mostly very tight twisties back to Highway 76, and then on back to Temecula.

Great Ride, Steve. I'm so glad to have my riding buddy back!

Rick

Attachments

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Rick, sounds like a good ride! Glad Steve was able to get out and do some riding! :D

WOW Steve!.... I didn't think you'd go that many miles on your first ride back out!!!

How many miles did you travel? I think there are 480 small muscles in and along our spines. Do you feel all of yours?

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
WOW Steve!.... I didn't think you'd go that many miles on your first ride back out!!!

How many miles did you travel? I think there are 480 small muscles in and along our spines. Do you feel all of yours?
Actually, the ride was probably only about 135 miles for Steve, but they were QUALITY miles! Highway 79 is a mellow country road with gentle turns, but the ride across Mesa Grande has some great twisties. The east grade of Palomar mountain is fantastic, but the south grade is very technical. Steve got in a mix of riding with the exception of slab. We're blessed with some great roads around here!

I'm sure he'll chime in here at some point soon. Hopefully, his back is feeling OK.

Rick

Thanks Rick. Yes we are blessed living and riding in So. Cal! I sometimes wonder why I was born here and not in some 3rd world country!

i also am looking into an FJR....... AE. My left hand and arm aren't what they used to be :-( I will wait until winter when prices are down. I did successfully place my clutch lever onto the throttle side and use my right thumb to work the clutch lever. It's interesting...... a learning curve for sure....sl

OP
OP
Temecula Steve
Bike
1999 BMW R1100S
They were indeed quality miles! Hardly any traffic on the road and reasonable temps for the whole ride. Didn't bother me a bit although at the end of the day I was a little tired. I have to thank my physical therapist for getting me to this point so quick. Kudos to Bill Collins at APEX Physical Therapy! Of course he put me through the ringer this morning but I loved every moment of it. Thanks Rick for a great ride!

OP
OP
Temecula Steve
Bike
1999 BMW R1100S
Well, sometimes things just don't work out the way you want them to. I picked up 20 pounds exactly where I didn't want them to be as a result of the surgery and down time. So I joined a gym that also had a pool to attack the fat. A half hour on the machines and a half hour in the pool. Three weeks into the program I lost half the weight but then something was just not right. The cursed numbness in my feet changed into a sensation that I can only describe as a feeling like the soles of my feet had been smacked repeatedly with a ball peen hammer. I expected to see bruising on the bottom of my feet but they looked normal. I thought maybe this was just a transition and that my nerves were firing up. Also was having a sensation that something was tearing in my back along my beltline and really had to work to stand up straight. So I stop by my physical therapist (been done with therapy for 2 weeks) just to get some feedback about the change. Long story short, it seems I may have compromised the next level up on my spine. The jury is still out but I had to back way off on my workout. It seems I might have been working a little too aggressively. So after a week of backing off, I've gained back half of what I lost. It's strange how I can't remember how I felt prior to the surgery but if I had to do this all over again, I'm not sure if I'd do it again. We'll see how this works out.

Steve,
We met at the Phys Therapist's office. I'm also steve. So sorry to hear about this........ it's a common (and logical) problem. I suppose that is why they developed artificial discs.

Today, I go back under the knife. Revision (as in re-visit) and (re-pair) the previous c-spine surgery. Today, they're to fuse 3 levels. maybe I'll get my arm and hands back.....maybe not. We'll see.

My ladyfriend says, death and dying is a progression. HA! I got a kick out of that when it came out of her mouth! So right she was! Closer and closer we get to the ground, until we just become part of it again....

Let us know what transpires with your lower back. ME? Even w/sucessfull surgery, I don't think I'll be able to withstand my head bobbing around in the wind wash of other traffic, especally with the weight of a helmet....... might have to move to another state w/o helmet laws....

DonMac

My backyard
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Steve,
We met at the Phys Therapist's office. I'm also steve. So sorry to hear about this........ it's a common (and logical) problem. I suppose that is why they developed artificial discs.

Today, I go back under the knife. Revision (as in re-visit) and (re-pair) the previous c-spine surgery. Today, they're to fuse 3 levels. maybe I'll get my arm and hands back.....maybe not. We'll see.

My ladyfriend says, death and dying is a progression. HA! I got a kick out of that when it came out of her mouth! So right she was! Closer and closer we get to the ground, until we just become part of it again....

Let us know what transpires with your lower back. ME? Even w/sucessfull surgery, I don't think I'll be able to withstand my head bobbing around in the wind wash of other traffic, especally with the weight of a helmet....... might have to move to another state w/o helmet laws....
There's always Idaho.

OP
OP
Temecula Steve
Bike
1999 BMW R1100S
Well good news! It seems this was a warning shot across the bow so to speak. It still hurts like hell but that's why there's pain killers. I'll be back doing more physical therapy and maybe this time I'll pay closer attention so that I get it right. The thing I appreciated the most from the Doc was his explanation of what it would feel like if I did compromise the next level. Not knowing what was up just made me crazy.

OP
OP
Temecula Steve
Bike
1999 BMW R1100S
Well I think I've about injured all parts in my lower torso. Blew out my knee last week and this morning I managed to fracture my left foot while out hiking with dogs. Can't have a cast or boot as that will just jack up my back which is bad enough as it is. All that's left is injuring my upper torso - broken arms, dislocations, head injuries. This is not panning out to be one of my best years but we still have a couple months to turn it around.

OP
OP
Temecula Steve
Bike
1999 BMW R1100S
Finally some good news. On my first ride post surgery I got a speeding ticket just miles from making it home. Well I finally got the good news that the citation was dismissed. God love Trial by Written Declaration as that's now 2 citations that I've had dismissed. I think I'll have to hit the road this Sunday!

OP
OP
Temecula Steve
Bike
1999 BMW R1100S
Well, I finally had to let the ST go. It was a static accident waiting to happen. Another back surgery 4 weeks ago. Ended up breaking one of the screws in my back. Had a reverse laminectomy and a fusion above and below the original fusion. Replaced the ST with a BMW R1100S. Waiting for the risers and peg lowering kit to complete the set up for me. I've only ridden the bike about 10 feet cause I know the wife and surgeon would both shoot me on sight. I made sure the new owner of the ST was aware of this site as it's probably the greatest resource you could have. Look for me out there soon!

Top Bottom