Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Carolina to Austin TX 4/29/13

Bike
    2009 ST1300ABS
    My Gallery

South Carolina to Austin TX 4/29/13

Hey there, I'll be popping my ST cherry a week from today starting off on the coast and heading back to Austin as fast as possible. So if any of you have strong opinions about places to avoid or hit, please feel free to share. I'll be posting my novice experience when I get back!
    When was the last time you bought an ST1300 in another state before ever even seeing one Ron?
    Oh, that would have been 4/16/13

Bike
    2005 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Re: South Carolina to Austin TX 4/29/13

For starters, tell us exactly where you are starting, and where you are going, then maybe we can reveal some places to be careful and some places to run.
    Tom
    STOC# 7303
    Travels since August 2006 on TOMSST

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2009 ST1300ABS
    My Gallery

Good idea - I'm new to this!

I start in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. My goal is to get back to Austin, Texas as quickly as possible - more of a bike collection trip than a scenic tour. It looks like I'll be stopping for scattered thunderstorms along the way as I set off on Monday.

It seems that I go via Atlanta Georgia, and then I can either take the I10 or I20 towards Texas.

From all the recommendations I've had so far - everyone here has been very helpful - it looks like I'll be shooting for 500 miles in the first day, 450 on the second and then finish up on day three.

Going I20 which would put me:
    night one in Birmingham, Alabama. I figure a big city would have a cheap place to stay so I can soak in a tub, but really I'm clueless.
    night two in Shreveport, Louisiana. Then back home.

Going I10 would put me:

night one in Montgomery, Alabama
    night two in Crowley, Louisiana. Then back home.

I think I've driven I10 before and found it to be fairly pot-holed - that was about 8 years ago. I'm wondering if I20 is a nicer ride in terms of eating up miles?

Thanks for any insight - I'm very new to this!

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I20 from Shreveport over to Dallas isn't too bad, but the traffic on IH35 southbound may drive you crazy. You'd probably be happier grabbing 43 up by Marshall, Texas, and then take that down to Highway 79. You can run 79 all the way into Round Rock and miss the IH35 construction up north of Waco. 79 is pretty nice two and 4 lane all the way down, just mind your speed since the small towns along the way gotta make revenue somehow. I run 79 back and forth to Longview to visit my inlaws a couple times a year.
    Jason Fox -
    06 ST1300 - darkside w/ Falken's Ziex ZE-512
    http://jasonfj.blogspot.com/

Bike
    2011 BMW R1200GS
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Not sure how much of a novice you are but if you are true novice I would offer the following advice. Your plan looks very doable but I would suggest that you dont overdo it. If you get tired before getting to any of your stopping points that you have laid out then stop someplace earlier. Riding while you are fatigued is not a good practice. Looks like your total trip is approximately 1200 miles and change. You have allotted 3 days so even if you divided the trip up into thirds that is only 400 miles a day you would still be making good progress.

If you take the I-20 route then consider taking 459 around Birmingham. There are a lot of places to stay off of 459. There is pretty decent place to eat not too far off of 459 and 280 on Green Valley Rd. called Mudtown. It gets a thumbs up in my book. Actually, if you can make it to Tuscaloosa there is an awesome Italian food place downtown called DePalma's.

You will probably get very tired of the slab. If your time frame permits you might see if you can route yourself on some secondary roads.

Be prepared for a ton of traffic if you go through Atlanta.

Good luck on your trip and ride safe.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2009 ST1300ABS
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by JasonFJ View Post
    I20 from Shreveport over to Dallas isn't too bad, but the traffic on IH35 southbound may drive you crazy.
    Cool - thanks! This is a bit of a novice question, but do you sometimes just drive at night to avoid the people? I hear you about I35. Might be the longest part of the whole trip

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2009 ST1300ABS
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Ken H View Post
    Not sure how much of a novice ...
    If you take the I-20 route then consider taking 459 around Birmingham. There are a lot of places to stay off of 459. There is pretty decent place to eat not too far off of 459 and 280 on Green Valley Rd. called Mudtown. It gets a thumbs up in my book. Actually, if you can make it to Tuscaloosa there is an awesome Italian food place downtown called DePalma's.

Be prepared for a ton of traffic if you go through Atlanta.

Good luck on your trip and ride safe.
    thanks- I'm not a novice biker, just a novice St1300 rider and a rusty biker. I haven't flexed my "everyone is trying to kill me" muscle on a bike in a long time.

Good point about Atlanta and traffic - I'll take your advice. And I'll stop if I'm tired.

I drink about a coffee a day - is it best practice to avoid caffeine on long trips (aside from the bladder effects)?

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by RonMalibu View Post
    Cool - thanks! This is a bit of a novice question, but do you sometimes just drive at night to avoid the people? I hear you about I35. Might be the longest part of the whole trip
    Not really, dodging deer is more nerve wracking. Hitting a deer isn't on my "do again" list

Bike
    2005 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Your fastest route would be to get on I-20 at Florence. If you can give me your start location in MB, I can recommend the best route from MB to I-20 in Florence. Go straight thru Atlanta on I-20. A 7AM MB departure will put you in mid-Atlanta about 12:30PM

If you are planning to stop around Birmingham. make it Exit 140, and visit the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum. They are open 'til 6PM, seven days a week in April. There is an America's Best Value Motel at that exit, and you should get there before 3PM, 490 miles for the day. Or, you could go further on I-459 after your Barber break to get on the far side of B'ham for the night so as to avoid the morning rush hour. Barber is worth the time and admission fee of $15.

I yield to others for the rest of the trip.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2009 ST1300ABS
    My Gallery

Thanks Tom - I think the earliest I can leave Myrtle Beach (Mr. Joe White Avenue!) will be about 10am. I'll take you up on your suggestions as the thunderstorms permit! Thanks

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast