BT023 - Bridgestone recommendations

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is an explanation that the product manager for Bridgestone Europe gave me in repsonse to my query as to why the BT023 standard version was approved for the ST1100 and the GT version was the one that was approved for the ST1300.

Hi John,
Thank you for getting back to me.
Yes, the BT-023 standard version is approved for the ST1100 as advised in my previous mail.
The BT-023 GT was indeed produced for heavier bikes but that does not mean it will work to the required standard on all heavy bikes. It actually works very well on some much lighter bikes too. All tyres have to be tested and one cannot just assume that because the bike is heavy the GT spec is the tyre to use.
The standard is not “just approved for the ST1100 because we do not make a GT version!” It’s approved because we have tested it and it passes our stringent test criteria. We do not just recommend a pair of tyres without testing them first or because another variant is not made in a particular size.
It’s not just about weight, it’s about the whole make-up of the bike, like the quality of the suspension. Tyres have their own unique self-damping properties and sometimes the standard tyre will suit a particular bike better, even if it’s a heavy bike!
The ST1300 is a different bike with a different weight, different aerodynamics and different weight distribution. It’s a different bike! They cannot be compared as like for like. As advised, just because one tyre works on the ST1300 does not mean it will work on the ST1100 and this can be said for many other bikes and their varying models.
I trust this helps you to understand?
Many thanks and again, thank you for your mails.
Kind Regards,

The content of this post is not the original. I deleted that in error. I'm pretty sure that this email is what was contained in the original post of 9 years ago. The information is certainly agood insight into the tyre recommendations provided by manufacturer. Reading between the lines it is also possible to deduce that just because a tyre is made in a size that fits your bike, it doesn't follow that it is the recommended for that model. The manufacturers recommendations are the things to go by, not the size.

Last edited:
Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I went with the BT023 GT's on my ST1300 due to the fact that I pull a fully loaded trailer and with a pillion on board. 15,500 Km's on them now and I hoping on another 5000 Km's until they are down to the wear bars.
Thanks for confirming that they are recommended for the ST1300.

Bike
05 ST1300
went with the BT023 GT's on my ST1300
Hi Al,

Is this the same tire you helped me with at your place last Sept? I know it's an 023, but if its a GT or not, I'm not sure. I remember talking to you about 2 different 023's but I'm not sure which one I got. I like how it handles, performs etc. Without checking the numbers, I think there's about 5k miles on it and no signs of wear yet. But it'll get a good run starting June 3rd or so; I'm going to finish the run across northern Canada that AZLouie started last year. Looks like about 8k miles. Actually, today was the 1st ride with it since my plate expired last Sept and I put 'er into hibernation. Felt awsum

Sat hi to the Missus

Art F

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hi Al,
Is this the same tire you helped me with at your place last Sept? I know it's an 023, but if its a GT or not, I'm not sure.
Hi Art
That was the first set of BT023 non GT's that I bought. They never made GT's for our ST's back then when I bought my first set. At first Bridgestone only made GT's for BMW. After a year or so, they started making GT models for our ST's. So out of that set I bought, I used the non GT on the rear and you got the front. So, I have never had a non GT on the front. Thinking that my front GT will out last my rear GT by about 5 km on this go around, I may change it out as a set in 5000 Km's. Glad to hear your like the BT023. My advice is keep the front at 42-43 psi cold. No cupping or scalloping on mine with 15500 Km's on it.
Have a nice ride heading east this summer. I'm heading west to Vancouver Island to go to WeSToc.

Bike
ST1300 '08
I wonder what the theory would be if one has upgraded the suspension on an ST1300 (no longer stock). anyone?

I've been using PR2's for the last 14,000 miles or so, but am considering going back to B-stone for my next set. I have Sonic springs up front.

thats a fantastic read...... I recently had a company quote me for 023gts and went to have them fitted R I R O.... when I went to inspect they had fitted o20s.... I went beserek.... the ***** behind the counter spouted legalites and responsibilities .... I replies with my money ... my life ... my choice . When they offered to fit my oid ones back on.... i declined ststing I could not tust their monkey fitter to offer the same duty of care...... wont be going back there in a hurry.

Top Bottom