ST1100 won't start when hot

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
I discovered this evening the ST doesn't go too well when it's wet either,

note to myself,do not wash the bike,just clean the lights!!
If this is the case you have electrical problems. I have ridden my '91 hundreds of miles in heavy rain with nary a miss. Even now without a front fairing (see avatar) rain has no effect on the bike.

Bike
1993 ST1100
STOC #
I spray mine down several times with a hose to get the grime loose, wash with soap and rinse it. Dry it off and go ride. I concur with the above post, you have electrical issues to sort out.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I discovered this evening the ST doesn't go too well when it's wet either
So its about time for some service and TLC...
ACF-50 is a hot tip to protect and nurture all the electrical connections...

Like Ralph have I spent hundreds of miles and days in really heavy weather, never had any issue.

note to myself,do not wash the bike,just clean the lights!!
Yeah-right... with that some real problems will arise...

My STs receive a full* wash (with cleaners and wax-polish) twice a year, and 'hosing down' whenever required...
* important is a good rinse afterwards, as also motorcycle cleaners/shampoos can/will cause corrosion if not washed off properly...

Bike
Vstrom 650
So its about time for some service and TLC...
Between over tightening bolts and trying to drown her the poor ST is getting it tough Martin :)

I've had her in heavy rain plenty of times,never an issue,some water must have got in the wrong place yesterday just,the torrential rain we came through at the Northwest 200 last year was as bad as she'll ever see and she never missed a beat in that.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
some water must have got in the wrong place yesterday just
If been parked on the side-stand, the RHS plug holes come to mind... even with them caps having that "umbrella", the hole can fill up, shortening the cap.
So no big deal, lets enjoy the weather :wink:

Bike
Vstrom 650
If been parked on the side-stand, the RHS plug holes come to mind... even with them caps having that "umbrella", the hole can fill up, shortening the cap.
I think you got it first go Martin,thanks. that's most like what happened, ah well anyone following my posts will know what not to do.

I was going to this 2014 thread. Two people said if it equipped with a vapor canister for California emissions or the like, and the canister is saturated, hot conditions will cause the bowl vent lines to suck fuel back in from the canister and flood the cylinders whiles it's sitting after a hot ride. Mine is doing the exact same thing. It's not the coils or ECM. It's not PAIR or the vacuum fuel shut off valve. It's the canister! Take the whole canister system out and make sure to block any vacuum leaks. Vent all the carbs together just under the front of the air cleaner housing to atmosphere like the non California st1100's without abs and traction control are. Vent the fuel cap down my the lower frame to atmosphere. All this hot soak stuff should go away. If not, then maybe check the coils. It fixed mine at 5000-10,000ft above sea level right away. Got rid of my fuel cut off valve and threw in away. Diaphram still was good and pliable. But after a $125US tow bill, I didn't want anything left that may cause problem. I'm making mine as clean as possible for worry free travel! Really can't believe only 2 people spoke up about the canister and nobody ran with it! That's the problem! Get rid of that if you have one!

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Sounds to me like it's flooded. I would replace the fuel shut-off diaphram and re-install and see what happens. You may have some sticky / leaky float needles, too. Maybe it's time to pull and clean the carbs.

The OEM carb needle & seats are expensive. There are cheaper after market needle & seats that fit - I have a set in my ST1100. I think they were for a VFR1100 with Keihn carbs.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
hot conditions will cause the bowl vent lines to suck fuel back in from the canister and flood the cylinders whiles it's sitting after a hot ride
The blocked or restricted vent will cause flooding on a hot engine however it's not sucking the fuel from the canister. Since the hot expanding fuel in the float bowl cant escape through the vent it pressurizes the bowl (Boyle's Law) and forces most if not all of the fuel from the Float bowls out the venturi nozzle right into the intake manifold and down through any open valves into the cylinder. When the engine is running there is a purge system that will remove the vapors from the canister but this is not active when the engine is off. Venting the Bowls directly to the air can allow dirt into the bowls causing issue down the road. If you are venting to the atmosphere I would suggest running the vent hose up to the air cleaner where it can encounter clean air. Carbureted Bikes and cars without cannisters usually vent to the air-cleaner. That helps balance the bowl vent pressure with the overall air intake so a clogged air filter is less likely to act like a fuel enrichment choke.

Last edited:
Top Bottom