ST1300 heat - problem SOLVED.

STOC #
Lots of discussion and pictures, so I posted an article on my own site. I completed this last year, but wanted plenty of time for testing before declaring the solution works. IT DOES. My solution is a combination of things others have done, plus more of my own work.

See www.donferrario.com/st1300 for details. Enjoy the tips. Feel free to discuss here. I plan to be at Addison, NY, on 5/5/2012, so if anyone wants to check it out they are welcome. I live nearby, so if some of you want to have a tech session after lunch and perform this procedure on your bike we can do it that day.

Here's a tease:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info - looks like your solution will make a big difference. I'm new to the ST (just bought my bike this week). What happens when you have to work on stuff down in there? I imagine all that foil will get in the way??

OP
OP
CarSalesman
STOC #
The foil does not interfere with anything that normally needs maintenance. Worst case, grab it and rip it out of the way. The whole roll is $25, and will do at least four bikes.

Bike
06 ST
What about the over heating concern? The heat is contained and not venting off. Block up a radiator and see what happens. Dave B.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
I like how you've gone about solving this. I do have one question, though: I assume from the write-up and the pictures that you have closed off all external air to the air box area. How are the throttle bodies getting enough air?

OP
OP
CarSalesman
STOC #
SoontoBe - the feed to the air cleaner is not closed off. The engine air intake is not part of the closed off area. See the picture at the top of this thread, the air intake is the black plastic scoop on the far right side (front).

Dave - this area has no impact on engine cooling. Its a water cooled engine. If anything the modifications would enhance engine cooling, because the original design traps heated air coming off the radiator. That air is definitely not helping the engine to stay cool.

Last edited:

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I looked at the website and understand what you are sealing off around the airbox, but the pictures of the parts for the cowling had me confused. The pockets on the fairing take up most of this area so how and where are you putting the heat barrier. The other thing I am having trouble understanding is that the frame is bolted directly to the engine, so all heat from the engine will be transferred to the frame like a large heatsink. So I'm not understanding how just redirecting the hot air from the radiator would cool the frame.

Sent from my RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Tmac79

Tim
Bike
06 ST1300
I'm going to have to try this... my sensitive bits are still tingling in a bad way from the ride home today. 127 degrees at the back of the tank.

OP
OP
CarSalesman
STOC #
I looked at the website and understand what you are sealing off around the airbox, but the pictures of the parts for the cowling had me confused. The pockets on the fairing take up most of this area so how and where are you putting the heat barrier. The other thing I am having trouble understanding is that the frame is bolted directly to the engine, so all heat from the engine will be transferred to the frame like a large heatsink. So I'm not understanding how just redirecting the hot air from the radiator would cool the frame.
Sorry for the delay - have not been here for a while. For both the cowl pockets and the frame, you can't cool them. All you can do is reduce the amount of hot air hitting them. The barrier around the pockets is thin, and yes it does make reinstalling the fairing difficult. Do what you can. The frame is the big issue, no way you will ever eliminate the heat transfer, but by directing air off the radiator away from the frame you can significantly reduce the effect. Every bit of hot air you direct out of the cowling helps.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Well, I decided that since I already had some "Cool It - Thermo Guard" material and the tape I would give this a try. The Thermal Guard material is 1/4" felt material with a foil barrier on one side. I used the tape to make a foil barrier on the other side side where needed. One ripped fuel line, stripped air box screw , and dropped tank later I finished the job. I removed the airbox and sealed around the frame as you did. I did not try to put the big sheets of material over the frame by the pockets as to many farkles has already created a clearance issue in these areas. I also stuffed this material between the frame and gas tank on bother sides of the bike in an attempt to eliminate any hot air from flowing out of these areas. I had to go back and use a piece to make a barrier between where the side panel under the seat and the frame meet. I already had a a barrier in place under the seat mounting bracket that flowed up under the frame and fuel tank. That is why I had the material to start with. So far I think there has been a reduction in the heat on my legs, but waiting to do some more testing to claim this as a success.

I had all ready cut out the inner fairings and wrapped the exhaust in an attempt to cure the heat issues in the past. Sorry I didn't take any pictures yet as I was a little upset about ripping the fuel line when I raised the tank. Guess that is why you shouldn't remove the cable that restricts how far back you can pull the tank.

I'll follow up with the results after I've had more time to test this out.

Sent from my RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

Bike
2014 st1300AE
STOC #
thank you, I had previously just taken the inner cowling a out and still dealt with a substantial amount of heat. your solution works amazingly well. totally differant bike. the only heat I feel now is from the lowest part of the bike where the heat shields are for the exhaust, when I'm riding in running shoes on a hot day.
ill take it all apart in the winter and recut some of the material to a more exact size.

Glad to hear it worked for you as well.
Hi i just wanted to thank you for the helpful guide i will be doing this by the weekend as im getting the stuff tonight.
because the tank tilts i had wondered about putting spacers on the front bolts thereby tilting the tank up slightly and creating a gap all around which i would assume would let hot air escape.
if i had i thermometer i would get temp readings then install foil in the gaps then try it then add more and and more till it lowers
because im unsure if you need it in all the places as i assume the tank area alone would make a big difference or did you do that already and had to keep adding more till it was right?
anyway thanks for being the only person to create a working solution

so i just did the install and one thing i noticed was there is a rubber flap that is held on by free pins at the front which when you lift you can see straight down which needed sealing as well so using 5inch wide strips this it what i did
1. lifted the flap placed a strip under the hoses pinned on the metal pins at the front from side to side or sitting on the bike left to right i then replaced the flap and taped each end up against the frame.
2. placed another strip across the flap as above
3. from front to back taped two strips per side.
3. for the rear i folded a strip pulled in under the hoses then opened it out. placed a few more strips tucked into that area to really bulk it out

the tank now stays cold its a massive difference. the lower fairings still heat up so i was going to wrap them but i because come winter i want a little heat.
great job thank you.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
06 ST1300
Who would have though the answer to roasted chestnuts would look a lot like a baked potato.

As much as I love my ST, I hate all that Tupperware with snaps and pins and hex heads and magic stay on stuff. I'm not offended by the sight of a screw heads in logical places. But Mr. Honda has a better idea.

I may give this a go as I'm getting heat coming up between the seat and tank to the point that I've arrive routinely with heat rash on my inner thighs.

Don't dwell on that OK? It was just a FYI moment.

OP
OP
CarSalesman
STOC #
Number1: Good tip on sealing below the flap.

There is a lot of discussion here and elsewhere about the foil panels around the throttle body area. Maybe that's my fault because thats where my photo instructions start. Please understand that while sealing the throttle body area is important, that is a secondary area. The primary source of heat is the radiator. The process includes foil panels behind the radiator which deflect the heat out to the sides. My instructions are a layering process. The outermost layer is the most important, and that is behind the radiator. If all you do is seal the engine to the frame around the throttle bodies, you will be disappointed.

Whatever you do, don't seal the area at the back of the gas tank to the top of the engine. Thats how the heat gets out. From there seal the panels below the seat so the heat can escape underneath. Its gotta go somewhere.

Top Bottom