ST1300 heat - problem SOLVED.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I've not had good results with header wrap on various types of bikes.
I found it caused the engine to run hotter on several bikes.
I also restored a vintage Honda TLR 200 Trials bike, and wrapped the header, and found at the end of the season, the wrap caused the header pipe to almost rust completely through.
I don't like stuff that will trap moisture.
I've still found that if you work hard to make sure the bike is in perfect state of tune, that your heat issues will correct themselves.
Anyone ever notice that NOBODY complained about heat issues when the bikes were brand new? I can't recall reading or hearing anything about heat issues from the magazine reviews etc.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Anyone ever notice that NOBODY complained about heat issues when the bikes were brand new? I can't recall reading or hearing anything about heat issues from the magazine reviews etc.
There were a bunch of owners complaining when the ST1300 was released. Mother Honda added additional heat shields on the 2004 to try and help alleviate the issue. I've been a member of this board since 2004. There have ALWAYS been people complaining about the heat.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
There were a bunch of owners complaining when the ST1300 was released. Mother Honda added additional heat shields on the 2004 to try and help alleviate the issue. I've been a member of this board since 2004. There have ALWAYS been people complaining about the heat.
Not after they left my garage :rolleyes:

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm no ST expert but I do know that venting heat away from the engine and out of the fairing is the most helpful thing you can do. You need the air to pass over the engine to help cool it. That heats the air up and it has to be expelled.

Sealing off all the openings is like taking an oven, the area defined as above the motor, under the tank and between the frame rails (the engine compartment) and giving it more insulation.

jbird24

Baker Air Wings, search the web!! Much improved. roughly 120 US dollars.

Baker Air Wings, search the web!! Much improved. roughly 120 US dollars.
Hey Jbird,
I had been curious about the Baker air wings. I’m happy to hear they worked for you. A couple of questions…

Where did you mount them? Pictures perhaps?

Is the object to direct heat away from the machine/rider or to direct ambient air toward the rider?

Have you had the chance to try them in extreme conditions? I.e. high humidity above 90°

I live in Central Florida and didn’t ride much at all last summer due to the heat issue. I’m going to try the highly touted throttle body synch but I’m on the lookout for a Plan B.

Thanks, Tom

jbird24

Im in New york. Ive tested in 80 degreees thus far, and yes they direct warm air in or out

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
What your looking at is Heat Damage that melted not only the inside of the body panels, but also melted the knock sensor switch like candle wax :doh1:
I've only seen this type of damage on bikes that had the foil treatment done :nuts:
I had the tupperware off my 1300 for the first time to access the connector for the rear brake light switch (more on that later).

I found exactly the same heat signature on the lower edge of my right middle cowl. No insulation installed. Bike has about 4.5k mi on the odometer. This damage doesn't take long if the temperature is right... er, wrong! apparently.

I have used the mesh cool seat cover for my 2004 ST1300.
It is working for me. I cut it to overlap the fuel tank.
When I seat on ST1300, there's always air gap between fuel tank and me by the cool seat cover.

KakaoTalk_20200903_043200126.jpgKakaoTalk_20200903_043200541.jpg

I have used the mesh cool seat cover for my 2004 ST1300. It is working for me. I cut it to overlap the fuel tank. When I seat on ST1300, there's always air gap between fuel tank and me by the cool seat cover. KakaoTalk_20200903_043200126.jpgKakaoTalk_20200903_043200541.jpg
I have used the mesh cool seat cover for my 2004 ST1300.
It is working for me. I cut it to overlap the fuel tank.
When I seat on ST1300, there's always air gap between fuel tank and me by the cool seat cover.

KakaoTalk_20200903_043200126.jpgKakaoTalk_20200903_043200541.jpg
I use the same cable tied tight underneath. Great in direct sunlight keeping the seat cool and great in the rain keeping it from pooling to around my groin.

Does anyone remove the lower fairing to get rid of heat ? Maybe that black cover that's over the tip over bars ?
I don't have my bike yet so I don't know how many pieces the fairing has.
Looking at pictures, it looks like the fairing that covers the light goes all the way down to a very low fairing that goes all the way back to the rear wheel.
Could that plastic that goes all the way back and the cover that is over the tip over bars be removed ? Would the main fairing still be stable ?
Would that mod move a lot more air ?

JJ

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Texas has been in a oven for over a month, 104° f today, 111°f the other day. Had my Tupperware off to trace wires (for fog-running lights) and decided to leave the black bottom fairing panels off for now, haven't rode it yet, but I'll report if it helps any

No complaints here with the 2008 - have never considered modding it.

Might be the blistering heat we have here in Texas that quells any heat output by the bike.

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Gave it a ride in the heat of the day, think I'm on to something. Before my feet and lower legs were getting roasted, this seems to dissipate the from the exhaust much better, even the seat-tank area feels cooler, I think it's giving the heat a place to escape

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
@RichKat it seems absolutely logical that the bottom 2 Tupperware bits will allow more airflow around the exhausts, thus cooler temps.
At the same time, even riding in the sweltering steambath of our Alabama summer, my 2008 1300 has never been excessively hot, even in stop and go traffic.
I'm always in long pants, jacket (usually mesh), gloves and full face.
Sure I'm sweating, but not because of engine heat.
Just another data point, I guess.
"I feel like a number." -- Bob Seger

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
This is an old thread, But, It's hot again in Texas, 104 today, and the heat from my ST is here too. Replaced a oil cooler line last Saturday, Had my airbox off, and it just dawned on me, the big rubber mat above the throttle bodies and below the airbox, I AIN'T GOT ONE, no wonder it's so hot. I'll have to do something about that this weekend

This is an old thread, But, It's hot again in Texas, 104 today, and the heat from my ST is here too. Replaced a oil cooler line last Saturday, Had my airbox off, and it just dawned on me, the big rubber mat above the throttle bodies and below the airbox, I AIN'T GOT ONE, no wonder it's so hot. I'll have to do something about that this weekend
Good luck with the throttle bodies removal yeah without that matt your tank will cook. I haven't got the foil fix on my new bike under the tank only under the seat so maybe a throttle body sync solves it somewhat. The main fixes are.
Foil fix
header wrap
aftermarket silencers
3d seat mesh cover xxl adapted to fit gives air flow under your butt remove during winter
3/2 seat mod so the seat is more level and your not against the tank

My ideas i haven't tried yet
spacers on the front tank bolts to give a gap for heat to escape
front air tubes into the cable gaps at the front to duct cold air under the tank
removal of air box and filter to replace with K&N filter on each hole so the air in is cooling the area as well

Top Bottom