Renewing Velcro?

JLamb

1991 ST1100
Bike
1991 ST-1100
I have a favorite pair of summer gloves that I hate to let go - but the velcro wrist closure is pretty well shot. Is there any way to renew velcro short of replacement? Looking at them I cant see any reason why it wont hold well - the hooks look like hooks - the loops - well hard to tell - look like carpet... Can the loop side just sort of give up? It feels like only a few of the hooks are grabbing - 3 or 4 pops as you peel them apart rather than the rrrrrrrip! that is normal for velcro. Lots of surface area - maybe 3 sq. inches. Hate to throw them away but they arent much good if they come off...

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Everything I have with velcro eventually has the velcro give up, usually before the rest of it.
I think the hooks stay ok but the loops fray and turn into fuzz.

maybe trimming some of the fuzz down and cleaning out the hooks would give you a little more time?

Onicabbit

Tailess Cabbit!
Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour
STOC #
the broken loops are preventing the hooks from grabbing the good loops that are left. you can probably just replace the loop side.

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
I've used contact cement to lay new Velcro over the old. In some cases, I've removed the old first.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
If it's sewed on, you should be able to break the stitches and install new Velcro.

--Mark

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Your local seamstress or leather repair shop should be able to provide a fix.

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
You Know, with all the accessory companies out there, they make thousands of pairs of gloves a day.
Go ahead and get a new pair. You'll be surprised how nice they feel.
Seriously gloves are very important safety equipment, your hands are quite delicate and need good protection.
I found out the hard way, now that I'm healed up I only wear good, leather gloves..

Bike
2005 & 2006 St 1300
STOC #
Why not just put snaps on over the velcro, or even take the velcro off and then add snaps, they may be added using a punch and hammer. Much easier tools to work with, you can also use special pliers. Look on google images under "snaps", you will see both.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just replaced the strip of "loop" material down the front flap of my jacket and it's back to working like new again. The loop material was on the flap and hook material was on the jacket side so it was easy to "rip" the stitching and remove the old loop material and sew on new strip. Must use the sew-on kind of Velcro material, cannot sew on the stick-on kind since the backing is different and doesn't stand up to stitching. I found a yard of it for not much $$$ at Walmart in with the sewing supplies. Comes as both hook and loop strip that is just one inch wide. Just right for my jacket. May be doing the short strips down the flap on my riding pants next year.
Tried trimming the fuzz down on another garment with Velcro and that did work for a very short time but worn loop material just doesn't have many loops left to work like new. My jacket flap was worn to the point where the flap was really just held in place by a very few loops and would almost open on it's own, and sometimes did, if I moved just right. Now it's like new and it's been so nice these last 4 weeks since I replaced the material.

Something has to wear out first and it looks like it's often the "Velcro". I suspect there is very little genuine Velcro used in m-c gear and the less costly rip-off (no pun intended) doesn't wear as well. Depending on how much you paid for the gloves and how emotionally attached you are, maybe just get a new pair?

pete

OP
OP
JLamb

JLamb

1991 ST1100
Bike
1991 ST-1100
A new pair in my future for sure. Just wondered if there was an easy fix - like shaving it down w/ a lint removing tool etc. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Somewhat related question....on each of my Sidi boots, there are four Velcro straps. On one of the straps, the "soft" piece of Velcro has "delaminated" from the leather strap to which it was glued. It appears that some sort of adhesive was used originally...any suggestion for what I should use to glue it back on?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Somewhat related question....on each of my Sidi boots, there are four Velcro straps. On one of the straps, the "soft" piece of Velcro has "delaminated" from the leather strap to which it was glued. It appears that some sort of adhesive was used originally...any suggestion for what I should use to glue it back on?

Goop or Shoe Goo

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Fox Creek Leather has a bit of a sale going on now which includes some nice looking deerskin gloves. My only connection is I've got one of their jackets and it's top notch. Their products are a bit pricey but there is no skimping going on - good, good stuff.

Top Bottom