970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Re: What do you carry in the right and left 'glove' compartments?

Left pocket - factory book, registration with insurance card, spare batteries for the spot.

Right pocket - charging cord for my phone, kickstand puck.

Nothing stored in them that heat will destroy.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I am new to the ST (love it so far!).
I kept a spare key in my tailight on the Nomad so all I would need was a phillips to get to it but can't really find a good "hiding" spot on the ST.........got any ideas?

The other issue is I really liked having a SS 16oz thermos on my bars to keep cold water. I don't find a logical place to mount a ring type cup/bottle holder. Any ideas? I know I can buy more ram mounts but not my first choice. I read that some keep a water bottle in the glove box but that does not appear to be very good/safe access while moving. Am I missing something?

Thanks
Key - I take a piece of cardboard - the kind that is the back of a yellow legal pad seems to be best, and cut out a piece the size of a credit card. Then I make two parallel slits about 1/2" long and maybe 1/2" apart, in the center of the card (going parallel to the short edges). I then take my spare key - made at a place like Hopot without a plastic 'head' - just the flat all metal key - and push it through the slits. It is now held firmly on the cardboard, which goes in my wallet, head end in the pocket of the wallet first. With time the cardboard molds itself to the key and cushions it. I have always done this because I can lock myself out of my car or truck three times a day without batting an eye. The key ALWAYS goes right back in the wallet after use - immediately. This is for emergency use (to get my other key out of the car - lol) only.

My glove box gets pretty warm, so i don't think keeping drinking water in there is a good idea. Even a thermos leaks some heat and for a long ride, I would expect the water to get warm.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Those compartments get pretty darn hot in the summer months. That being said I wouldn't put any electronics in them, and sometimes credit cards become unreadable due to the heat.
Thanks for the tip about the credit card. I wouldn't have figured this out ahead of time, and a dead cc on a trip is no fun.

Bike
'07 ST1300
The last time I checked, the locking left compartment has things I thought were lost in it. The right one has a piece of plywood for the kick stand on hot pavement. It has twine tied to it so I can retrieve it while sitting on the bike.

Top Bottom