2004 ST1300 Won't Start

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I like to do my own work and have have referred to this site many times to draw upon the collective knowledge. But now I have a problem and need a little help. I've got a 2004 ST1300 with 70,000 miles that up until recently has been starting and running normally. After doing the work listed below she won't start, the engine turns over but it will not start. Other than a dead battery a few years back I've never had any starting issues. I performed the work listed below over the course of 2-3 weeks during which I never tried to start it. I suspect I've failed to reconnect something or have accidentally pulled a connector loose but just can't find it! Any assistance you can offer to help me resolve this problem will really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan

Recent Work Done
  • Replaced air filter
  • Installed new tires front and rear
  • Replaced fluid and bled brakes front and rear
  • Replaced fluid and bled clutch
  • Disabled windscreen motor by removing cables from gearbox
  • Replaced thermostat and coolant
  • Installed new Yuasa (YTZ14S) battery
  • Installed 4 new spark plugs

Installed farkles, both on bike without any problems since 2005
  • Audiovox cruise control
  • Symtec grip heaters

What I?ve checked
  • Loose or disconnected electrical connectors
  • Put in 1.5 gallons of fresh gas, gauge show 1/2 full
  • Checked voltage drop at battery during start, get 11.2 volts
  • Checked for spark at each spark plug, have spark
  • Checked for FI Codes and found none
  • Checked IAT Sensor according to the shop manual
  • Checked Bank Angle Sensor operation, relay clicks when tilted to left or right
  • Checked CKP Sensor connection for clean and tight connection, looks brand new
  • Disconnected cruise control power and tried to start, cranks but does not start

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Have you twisted the throttle while starting... sometimes after sitting a while you need to do that even though you typically don't for FI engines.

OP
OP
ALANT
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Have not checked any fuses and am not sure which I should check. Yup, checked the IAT sensor and believe all is well. Thanks for posting!

OP
OP
ALANT
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I knew I would forget to mention something! Yes, I performed the "flooded" procedure per the manual.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yup, fuses are always another good start.

Byron

STOC #
Take a look in the front of the air intake and make sure rodents hadn't set up camp and cutting off air supply.

OP
OP
ALANT
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Checked that when I replaced the air filter and didn't notice anything. I've never had problems with mice etc but you never know, thanks for the tip.
Take a look in the front of the air intake and make sure rodents hadn't set up camp and cutting off air supply.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Sometimes it's something silly like the kill switch or the kickstand switch. Work the kill switch, kickstand, and clutch multiple times and see if it starts.:shrug1:

OP
OP
ALANT
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Well it sounds and acts normal as far as I can tell. The FI lamp lights up when I turn the key to the on position and I can hear the pump running for a few seconds and then the FI lamp goes out. This is what it has always done and is correct I believe. Would this be an indication the the system is properly pressurized? Guess I better dig a little deeper in the manual.
Yup, what Seawalker said. Is the system pressurizing?

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Well it sounds and acts normal as far as I can tell. The FI lamp lights up when I turn the key to the on position and I can hear the pump running for a few seconds and then the FI lamp goes out. This is what it has always done and is correct I believe. Would this be an indication the the system is properly pressurized? Guess I better dig a little deeper in the manual.
yes, your description fits for it pressurizing correctly.

OP
OP
ALANT
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
No not really. It has made a couple of muffled sounds a time or two but nothing I would call firing. My son came over last night and said it sounds funny when cranking. Not a good description I know but I think he's right, it just doesn't sound right.
Ineresting Alan... Has it fired any cylinders at all?

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
That's good to hear Alan. Mine will do that, especially when it has sat without a full tank to keep the fuel rail charged--it has been hard starting since new after sitting for a while. I've found that it takes a lot of cranking and many fuel pump cycles--I even resort to cycling the fuel pump a couple times the night before or hours before planning to start it. It may be that a couple of the cylinders don't have gas yet and one or more may be flooded (that's the case with mine).

I'd suggest that you try the following:
1) cycle the kill switch ~4 times (allowing the fuel pump to complete it's short run each time)
2) crank the starter with the throttle slightly open...
3) if it sounds as though a cylinder is trying to catch (the starter motor may sound less strained and the exhaust sound is odd, as your son describes), repeat the above steps
4) if you've done the above several times in a row and only get an occasional firing, then crank the starter with the throttle wide open

Top Bottom