Pirelli Angel GT?

OP
OP
taehapdo
Bike
2008 ST1300
I see what you are saying. I went to motorcyclesuperstore.com. They have these in the correct sizes for the ST. I attended Rally to Ridgecrest this past weekend. One of the classes they offered was tires 102 taught by TJ Tennet - Engineering Manager Firestone Consumer Products at Bridgestone Americas Holding, Inc. He had so much useful and factual information about tires. The class was small, so we were able to ask many questions. He, being a motorcycle guy, more than just a Bridgestone employee advised me to try Pirelli tires. My Metzeler Z8 interact front tire is cupping badly, and no it isn't due to air pressure. That is why I'm looking into Pirelli.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
so...
cough up the goods LOL.
what did you learn about tires, mthys busted etc??? :)

OP
OP
taehapdo
Bike
2008 ST1300
Just a few things:

1. You can continue to use a tire that has been plugged and then patched over the plug. I believe he said the warranty will still be valid (don't remember for sure though)
2. Darkside is bad. He had slides showing why. Just one of several things he told us is that the bead on a car tire isn't even the correct design to properly mate to the rim of a motorcycle wheel.
3. for every 10 degree temp drop you loose 1lb of air pressure
4. tires loose air at the rate around 1lb per month
5. The last for digits of the dot number is the week and year the tire was made. example: 2413 would be week 24 of year 2013
6. the cracks we see on some tires that we or at least I have always heard are bad, well they aren't. He said it was only visual and no structural issue.

There were a lot of questions asked and answered. If you have any specific questions ask and I will tell you what he said, if I remember, and if the answer was given in the class.

Last edited:

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
I have a set of Pirelli Angel GT that have about 2800 miles on them. I love them, handle well in all conditions! Although they are on a 300 lb lighter bike that is not on an ST! :)

Attachments

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I've run two sets of Angels on the VFR. They ran fine, held the road well, but didn't last too long. I have a Metzler Z8 on the front now & that is the last one of those for me. I have a new set of Dunlop Roadsmart IIs ready to go on for this summer tour. Had good luck with the previous RS on the rear but this will be the first time with one on the front.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Looks like Randy got the 300 pound lighter bike with the lighter jockey (the one suffering from altitude sickness). :)

Bike
2003 GL1800A
Hello Taehapdo,
I having been tire shopping a bit as my front tire is comming due for replacement.
I like what the manufacturer had to say about this one handling wet road conditions.
Do you know if running this one with another brand on the rear would create problems. My rear is a Michelin and has life left on it .. only down to approx 50%.
I found an angel / front on line for $136 including shipping from a M/C supply company in Irvine California. Seems like an acceptable price.
Thanks for this write up .. I learned some things.
My best,
Randy
PS. 2 Peter 3:9 is a fav of mine as well

Top Bottom