PR3 Tire Direction

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I just had a rear Michelin PR3 mounted and I'm a bit confused about tire direction. Everything I find on the web shows the rear mounted like the attached pictures, yet the arrow pointing to the rear is on the left side pointing forward. What is correct?

Attachments

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: Tire Direction

The arrow points in the direction of travel. On the rear, the arrow, if at the top, should be pointing towards the rider. in the front, the arrow at the top should be pointing away from the rider. If there are arrows on the rim, the tires arrows should match those.

Re: Tire Direction

Both those pictures are correct. The tread pattern should look 'losely' like head arrows pointing forwards. That is because, as the wheel moves forward against the tarmac the water gets squeezed into the grooves at the centre first and then gets pushed out and away from the sides as the wheel rotates more.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Tire arrows point in the direction of rotation of the wheel.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I just got and mounted my rear PR3 and I'm not sure what to think. The arrow on the side says REAR and my tread when mounted that way is opposite of the picture above when reading it from the passenger side. If it were read from the drivers side REAR would be pointing forward unless it was upside down. As I look at the tread pattern I really feel the arrow is wrong and the tread pattern is right. And that BT020 was a $%^&*()!@#$ to remove!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

IMG_2174.jpg

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Oh you will get more practice changing the tires. I always set my tires in the sun covered with a large black trash bag for a while which will make the rubber softer to take off and put on the wheels. Good luck.

Glad I found this thread. Had a moment of panic because I leave for Sturgis early tomorrow and I thought they mounted my brand new PR3s backward. They are on correctly though. Whew.

Top Bottom