Need a new rear tire after 1400 oem miles!

Bike
2012 Black ST13
Went out to ride the bike to a Drs. appt. this AM, checked the air in the front tire, added 2 lbs., checked the rear tire, and it was showing a big 0 lbs. on the gauge. The bike was on the center stand, so it didn't look flat, but when I put it down on the side stand, sho' nuff, it was flat! Back on the center stand, add air to see where it's leaking, and found about 1/3 of a box cutter blade sticking out from the right side of the tread. I guess I'm just lucky that it didn't go down on me before I got home the other day!

My question is this: would it be all right to mix in a Battlax BT-023GT with the original equipment Bridgestone up front? That's what I was planning on using when I wore the oem tires out, but not at 1400 miles. I was pretty pleased with the handling on the oem tires and understand that the 023 GT is a big improvement, so that's what I'm getting.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Join the club. Seems like when they are new hazards are attracted to the nice new tire. Lots here have mixed tires. I don't think it makes that much difference unless you are track riding....:D

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
When I bought my bike, I had about 1500 miles when it felt funny slowing down from hiway speed(maybe a little more), then about 35-40 she went sideways. I gathered it in, but the tire was shot. I put a plug and filled it up with fix-a-flat. It had a bad wobble, but 70 miles from home on a Sunday meant limping home. Made it home and ordered a new Road smart Dunlop rear tire. No problems until worn out. I put PR2's after that and even better. I rode aggressively but had no problems with the mismatched tires.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
If you have a way to make it up to St. Lou I have a BattlAx rear in the garage that has over 2/3 of it's life left. Was on the bike when I bought it... but I run DS. Kept it around as a spare in case anyone tripping through the area call on the RAN list.

OP
OP
Bike
2012 Black ST13
Thanks for the offer on the used one, but I went ahead and purchased a new one already. Motorcycle Superstore was a good bit cheaper than 2 Brothers, with free shipping to boot! Their price was almost $50 cheaper than what the dealer wanted for the same tire...and yet they don't charge extra to mount and balance if you bring your own tire versus buying from them.

Top Bottom