sloppy fitting motad

Bike
st 1100
Fitted a full stainless motad 12 months ago not a bad system but the fit where the silencer goes into collector box Hmmmm not very good in my opinion. and after fitting new gaskets in a short while the dam things are jumping about everywhere. Is it the mounting where the silencer bolts to footrest hanger or the rubber mountings where the footrest hanger plate fixes to bike? Cant buy new rubber mounts for footrest hanger to bike but can buy new where silencer fits to bike. Anybody else had/got this problem??? thanks Gareth

Bike
1994 ST1100
When I got my bike the right side was wiggling like crazy. I bought used whole brackets with foot pegs to fix it but with no avail. Finally after I installed new exhaust gasket on right side, everything is solid. Somehow it all has to be connected tight in order to hold together. I know this past sentence sounds like "Duuh!" But honestly I was thinking same way as you that those bushings on bracket would hold it and foot rest pegs solid. Check the exhaust connection before you spend money on something you don't really need.
Mark

Bike
ST1100Y and ST1300-2
My old Motad silencers failed, so I bought 2 brand new and shiny direct from Motad leaving the stainless steel collector and exhaust down pipes in place.
I put new gaskets in the collector side, still looked OK, but everything was tight and the gaskets unbelievable delicate then got mangled whatever I tried.
Any suggestions next attempt ?

Bike
ST1100Y and ST1300-2

I think my problem is sorted ! Having spoken at length with the very nice man at Motad, it turns out that the silencers I had been supplied came out of the factory the wrong size. So they should be 42mm OD, but mine was 43.25mm and no wonder the gaskets got messed up. Once this was understood they replaced the silencers and new seals overnight delivery. Can't fault the after service! Will have a go at fitting tomorrow but the gasket slides on the silencer smooth.
On another note, the instructions tell me to remove the "stand stop rubber" from the old exhaust and fit it to the new one. Guess what's missing from the old exhaust. Anyone know where I can get one, its seems to fit on a welded bracket on the left hand silencer, but I can't find a picture never mind part number.

Update - Motads went on OK, used a little copper grease - make sure you have the right sized gaskets. With regard to the stand stop rubber - chanced my hand on a generic one from ebay - works great, I hadn't realised what it was a Rubber bung with a hole that just bolts on !

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
I had trouble with badly formed headers, that had to be swapped. The silencers were rather wobbly after assembly - and the left one would go 'bog eye'd' when the stand was up. I couldn't get any more adjustment on the hanger brackets by lengthening the hanger bracket holes more - and Motad eventually sent more brackets (Suzuki, I think) that allowed me to push the silencers right forward into the collector. Everything tightened up nicely and nothing moves now. The 'missing' rubber off my old silencer was substituted by some rubber strip that I strapped to the stand.

Top Bottom