Tall guy ST1100 options?

Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
I have what I believe to be an older Clearview L screen. I easily look over the top. It measures out at 21 3/4" tall.
It is really noisey. I am craving the quiet I get if I crouch down a few inches and look through the screen.
6'4" tall guy with close to 3" bar risers so I am sat up pretty straight.
Debating...new screen, xcreen, laminar lip (if I can figure out which one) or just suffer.
Throw it at me!

:biker:

Bike
1994 ST1100
I've made a deflector myself from piece of plexiglass from local Lowes, Velcro it on and it's adjustable. When rains, I drop it lower to allow the air blow off water from helmet visor.

Attachments

DonMac

My backyard
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I have a one year old XT Clearview and it measures 24.25 inches top to bottom, if that's any help. I'm 6' and the wind at 80 hits me right at the top of the helmet. It also lowered my mileage by 2mpg.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
You might look into an MRA X-Creen. It works on the same concept as the laminar lip. I had one on my XL Clearview and it cut the wind noise to 0. It was too tall for me though and I ended up selling it. Here's a pic of it on my 1100
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370040112.210608.jpg

Bike
1994 ST1100
You might look into an MRA X-Creen. It works on the same concept as the laminar lip. I had one on my XL Clearview and it cut the wind noise to 0. It was too tall for me though and I ended up selling it. Here's a pic of it on my 1100
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370040112.210608.jpg
That's a nice one!

Bike
ST1100
If money is no object, you could put a WIND BENDER on your bike, Mostly used on goldwings, but can be customized for the ST. i have seen it done. basically all you do is install it, and cut the shield to the ST. When done correctly, you can have an electric windshield for your ST1100. Dont let anyone tell you that you cant cut the lexan, I have cut many windshields to suit many customers, All you need is a jigsaw, and the finest blades, tape both sides of the windshield with painters tape, then by using a tape measure, you use your existing windshield to make your template. After you make the cut, you sand the lip with 220 sand paper, it looks totally factory on the edge, and you now have an eletric windshield.

OP
OP
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
A Laminar Lip would probably be the easiest option to solve your problem.
Ya you would think so...however...
Laminar Lip sent me to Cali Sport Touring, who sent me to Clearview to find out what version of shield I have, still waiting on Clearview they told me to email pics. LOL
Who knew this could be so tricky! I do like that xcreen and the adjust-ability of it and the fact you can get a clamp on version. Seems a lil on the skinny side though!

OP
OP
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Finally got word from Clearview that I have a genII screen. Just stuck a Laminar Lip on...going for test ride soon!

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I know I'm resurrecting a 4 year old thread, but this is a perennial problam. The guy at Lminar Lip didn't recomend it for a Clearview because there is a large variation in deminsions from screen to screen, at least according to him.

The problem, as I see I see it, is the combination of Helibars and a tall Russell seat puts the rider taller on the bike Other than mounting a MRA-Vario X-Screen on some kind of tall screen and looking through It, I don't think there is any other solution I haven't tried any of the MRA windscreens, but at this moint, I'm not sure I want to spend any more money chasing rainbows.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I know I'm resurrecting a 4 year old thread, but this is a perennial problam. The guy at Lminar Lip didn't recomend it for a Clearview because there is a large variation in deminsions from screen to screen, at least according to him.

The problem, as I see I see it, is the combination of Helibars and a tall Russell seat puts the rider taller on the bike Other than mounting a MRA-Vario X-Screen on some kind of tall screen and looking through It, I don't think there is any other solution I haven't tried any of the MRA windscreens, but at this moint, I'm not sure I want to spend any more money chasing rainbows.
The MRA Vario screen Max is my all time favorite windscreen, I wish I still had one. The only reason I don't is because two of my tipovers wiped out two separate windscreens. I can get the Laminar Lip screens faster than the MRA's since the laminars are made in California. I figured I'd get a new MRA when I broke the Laminar but... bike hasn't gone down since so, many years and many miles later I still have a Laminar. I like it ok but the MRA is still my favorite.

Top Bottom