Look what I found when I got home!

Bike
07 ST1300A
Just completed a 1600 mile trip to Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway and back. Had new fronts and checked the rear that seemed to have enough life left. When I exited the freeway near my home, I sensed a low speed wobble on the bike. I was about 6 miles away. When I get back home and checked, here's what I found!20130602_113653.jpg. Guardian Angels were watching me. I got dunked on I80W on the way back. They shut the freeway down due to a 14 car pile up seconds before me. I don't know how the tires would have handled a panic stop. I noticed rear end slide out under me when pulling off from a stop light in Toledo. I attributed it to slick roads and thought nothing of it. I'm glad to be back home and resolve to do a pre-ride check EVERY TIME.

FYI: The tire in question is a PR3 at 8000 mi.

--Ram

Last edited:

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
Always keep up on the pressures... Good thing you kept upright and that thing didn't blow...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Always keep up on the pressures... Good thing you kept upright and that thing didn't blow...
+1, having enough tread left is one thing but if the pressure is low, whatever tread is left goes very fast.

Byron

STOC #
Glad you were able to make it back home without an incident.

LetErBuck

Brian Oehlert
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I am glad to hear you are o.k.
I run PR3's too. I get 11 to 12 thousand miles out of a set.
I ride two up 90 % of the time. I run 48 lbs in the rear and 46 in the front.
The higher pressures help with the cupping. We ride in all kinds of weather with junk roads here in the midwest. SO YES the tires get HEAVILY abused.
I just rode 300 miles mostly in light to heavy rain. The tires worked great even at the higher pressures.
I hope this info. will help you.

Bike
ST1300
It happens. I prefer when it doesnt. When i had a gs and bikes that ran a sport bike size tire i would take them off early and sell them to the local stunting kids for 40 bucks and 20 to mount it. So now its a habit to take them off early and sell them. Ill probably do it with these also.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
RAM, safe to assume you didn't bother washing the shorts you were wearing?!? I've once had the unfortunate experience of seeing a rear tire go down to cords unexpectedly...it was just a little trip to OnSTOC and I had a tire change scheduled for the day I returned. I asked the mechanic to save me the tire so I could have an emergency spare for someone - when he was done he informed me that probably wasn't the brightest idea!

st1300doug

When the sipes (tire grooves) are gone.....your done! Pushed that one a tad bit too far! Glad you made it home. -POP-

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
WOW!! I let a rear go pretty long (some chord) ONE time, but not that far!! Almost looks like you could have used a new 1 before you left...... Bridgestone BT020s - 16 grand every time.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm curious why bike tires wear so fast near the end of their life. Cage tires wear pretty consistently throughout their life- if it takes X miles to wear the first 1/16" of tread, it usually takes the same miles for the last 1/16". Most bike tires I've run can wear well most of their life, then wear the last 1/8" of tread in a thousand miles. My wife and I had that happen. Left home on a 400 mile round trip with good air pressure and tread above the wear bars, and as we were coming up our hill the rear felt strange. Pulled into the yard with a flat & broken cords. That was the last motorcycle tire I ran on the rear. PR2 with around 6k miles IIRC.

STOC #
I did something like that last year. Booked it into the shop for new tires; did not notice how much it had deteriorated in the few days before that and road it to the shop.

The manager of the shop called me and asked me if I was ^&*( crazy to ride the bike with tires like that. :headbang:

:slv13:

1129VLD

"71David5"
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
I had something like that happen once. Upon inspecting the tire I found a nail. As the pressure bled away, an otherwise good tire with adequate tread for the trip turned into a very bald tire.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Similar experience, riding home from Pendelton, OR on a Sunday when no stores were open, and I relied on my guardian angel. I rode thru the Poly cord and into the steel cord (showing) on a Conti RA. I highly recommend the Conti Steel Attack tires for winter use.

Attachments

Top Bottom