ST1100 Fork Oil change - How to?

Bike
Vstrom 650
01 st1100 41,000 miles. I think the fork seals are fine, just that I weigh around 240 lbs and was wondering if I needed heavier fork oil than 10 weight.

Bike
2001 ST1100
You also might want to really think through when you should loosen the fork caps as after the forks are off the bike it is *really* hard to do. BTDT too!
Good to know Mark, I'm taking notes for when mine comes up. I'm also thinking about fork springs, timing belt, clutch and coolant lines all at the same time, since the front end will be out of the way.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
MIke,

You're correct: it much easier to replace the timing belt with the forks out of the way.

Make sure you know about 'relieving' a bit of the timing belt cover so you don't have to take anything else off...
I pulled the cover off and then used a rasp to take a bit off. I saw someone do the same 'relief' with a big ol' knife too! :)
It sure saved a lot of headache.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Anyone know if there's a post about "relieving the timing belt cover" ? I'm looking at a fork, clutch, timing belt job myself.
There is mention of it on here but honestly, its pretty easy to figure out. When you remove the cover, the bolt is going to mark the cover for you :) . Then before you put it back together, cut the section out where the bolt chewed it up on removal and it will slide right in.

OP
OP
ak85lp

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
When you have gotten the forks off, the first thing to do is to remove the fork caps, carefully they're spring loaded. The left fork cap comes right off, then you take out the spacer, washer and spring, turn upside down to drain the oil. The right side fork cap is attached to the plunger rod for the cartridge and has to be unscrewed from the cap. Once the right side cap is removed the plunger rod will slowly fall down into the fork. You remove the spring, spacer and washer same as the left side, remembering the sequence they go back. To drain all the oil from the left fork, you pump the fork. To drain the right fork, collapse the fork and pump the plunger rod. The assembly of the right fork is complicated by the rod which falls down into the fork. The extra pair of hands holds the rod up with a coat hanger, while you put the spring, washer(s) and spacer back. You'll need to compress the spring while you thread and tighten the cap onto the rod. I changed my oil at 63,000 miles and I still don't believe the amount of crap in it. Remember to clean the outside of the forks well before disassembly, otherwise dirt might get into the oil seal, DAMHIK.
I finally took my forks out tonight and I'm a little unsure of how thorough I need to be. The left fork was easy once the cap came off. I just let the spacer fall out and the short tube (about 8 inches long) come out and left the spring and all other parts inside. I pumped all the oil I could out and left it to drain overnight. Do I really need to take it all apart as the oil should run out anyway?

How about the right fork? The damper rod is still in place and the oil seems to be draining fine. I think it would complicate matters to pull it all apart?

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
The correct method for setting the oil level is to put the oil in without the springs in the tubes.

So... if you want to set the level to OEM specs you have to pull the springs.

OP
OP
ak85lp

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
Thanks Mark. In the Haynes Manual it also gives a volume of fork oil to add as well as the one for height of oil in the forks. Can I not just measure the amount of oil in volume and place that in with a syringe or something similar?
Keep in mind this is my first time opening the forks up. Is there a decent link here that explains how to add the oil, measure the height, etc?

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
First a moan: I really, really, really dislike Haynes manuals. I have attempted to use them on VW bugs, Ford Aerostars, Toyota Tercels, ST1100s and ST1300s and find they just don't do as good a job as Clymer or OEM Honda manuals.
Rant over! :)

Here is a youtube video
outube video
that does a good job of showing one of many methods. You can make that tool pretty easily if you have a farm supply place near you that syringe can be found there.

If you have any fluid left in the galleys and use the volume method you'll have too much oil in the fork.

Remember that both methods require you to pump the forks to fill those galleys.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Can I not just measure the amount of oil in volume and place that in with a syringe or something similar?
Yes.

The only caveat here is if you don't pump the forks to fully expel all of the original oil, you could overfill them a little if you refill with the volume specified in the manual. If you don't remove the right fork cap you probably won't be able to pump it sufficiently to clear everything, so that's your question you have to guess at, how much oil remained? Also, refilling it through that little cutout in the washer is kind of a pain. So that being said, I'd recommend removing the right cap and give them both a good pumping, but if you really don't want to mess with it I doubt that its really a big deal either way.

As far as replacing the oil by volume or height, to me that's splitting hairs if you still have the stock springs in the forks. If you have aftermarket springs, then the volume requirement has changed, and you should go by height (and note the volume for next time). Its a heavy touring bike, not a racebike, so a little difference in oil level isn't going to make a huge difference in how the bike rides, so don't worry that you have it down to 1ml accuracy.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I'll chime in here... Mark's right, the correct method is to measure the suspension fluid level from the top of the compressed fork tube, springs removed, per the Honda ST1100 Service Manual and Common Service Manual. The volume/quantity figure is to help you buy enough fluid before tackling the job. We don't just dump in the engine oil capacity figure when changing oil, do we? :) I've checked/compared a number of times over the years and using the so-called "quantity" method always overfills the forks by a fluid ounce or more. Reducing the air cushion space above the fluid by an inch less than spec may not be a good thing.

Motion Pro sells a DIY fluid level adjustment tool ($$) like any dealer uses but making your own is easy. I've made a couple of them for the STOC loaner Fork Seals R&R Tool Kits: tube stock, PVC hose, and turkey baster or large Farm-N-Fleet syringe. You could go as simple as marking a stick and pouring in fluid until it touches the stick. Suck out excess if need be.

JMHO. Do the job right. Dump and flush x 3 with some cheap ATF fluid to get the crud out. If you have a standard model, use the slider plugs to help get them as clean/empty as possible. When refilling, pump the tubes and damper rod to get rid of the air pockets to insure a correct fluid level.

John

Posted with my iPhone 4S

Last edited:
OP
OP
ak85lp

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
Thanks everyone good advice. I think I'll do it the right way as I have everything apart anyway to do the timing belt and coolant hoses under the carbs. In the meantime I also found an old link to Mark's Homemade Fork Oil Gauge. It looks pretty easy to fabricate.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?90708-DIY-Fork-Oil-Gauge

Can anyone tell me the correct oil height from the Honda service manual? I agree Mark, I don't care much for Haynes books but it's all I have for now.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I've checked/compared a number of times over the years and using the so-called "quantity" method always overfills the forks by a fluid ounce or more. Reducing the air cushion space above the fluid by an inch less than spec may not be a good thing.
Interesting, I'll have to check that measurement myself next time. From a practical standpoint I've never used any other method besides the quantity method for 35 years and 450k miles and typically get 40-50k miles per set of fork seals. So it would seem that if I am reducing the air space it doesn't affect the seals. It may change the ride characteristics a bit, but I have no idea by how much or if it would even be noticeable on a bike like the ST.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Seems like if using the 'quantity' method and not doing a complete disassembly, the way to do it would be to measure what came out, and put that amount back in, rather than using a published amount.

Last edited:
Bike
Vstrom 650
Interesting, I'll have to check that measurement myself next time. From a practical standpoint I've never used any other method besides the quantity method for 35 years and 450k miles and typically get 40-50k miles per set of fork seals. So it would seem that if I am reducing the air space it doesn't affect the seals. It may change the ride characteristics a bit, but I have no idea by how much or if it would even be noticeable on a bike like the ST
When I fitted the hyperpro fork springs they said to leave an air gap of 150mm,I just used a strip of cardboard with a mark on it and filled the oil till it touched the bottom of the cardboard,
left fork took 450ml,right fork took 550 ml,the left fork on my 01 abs has the big damper rod in it so I suppose that's why it needs less oil.I used aftermarket 'sifam' seals so I'll see how long they last,seemed a good tight fit.
I used motul synthetic 10 wt oil.

Top Bottom