Disappointed in Buck Sport Touring - need to vent

Bike
2006 ST1300
I ordered Buck Sport Touring pegs on May 29 in anticipation of my SS1000 that I am leaving on on Tuesday. Larry Buck emailed me on May 30 and said they are shipping out that day. Yesterday, still no pegs. I emailed him for a tracking number...no response. Today I called him. He said that he responded to my order from his cell phone, which took it out of his paypal system. He then forgot about my order. Now he doesn't even have the parts to overnight to me because he sold them after I ordered them. He is refunding my money. Now I'll be on a 2,200 mile trip with NO place to put my feet out. AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!! :box1::shrug2:

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Them smart phones are NO replacement for the good old fashioned computer. Would hate to think about 2200 miles without my MCL blades, maybe someone local will loan you a set of pegs for your trip.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
+1 on trying to get some loader blades. And +1 on the MCL blades. I leave in a couple weeks on a 6500 mile trip and there's no way I'd do that without the blades installed.

Good luck.

OP
OP
amad
Bike
2006 ST1300
The only problem with getting loaner pegs is if they are not the same kind I end up getting, my tip over wing covers are cut wrong then. I may try to make my own tomorrow. Looking at Buck Sport Touring pictures, if I can figure a good clamp that goes on the tip over bar, the rest should be easy to make. I'll work on it tomorrow and let you know what happens. Still super upset with Larry Buck!

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
This is a bit off the wall but consider this quick fix. If you have a pair of bicycle bar end handles you can cut the loop that went around the bikes handle bars and
bolt the two pieces back around the tip over bar....extending out far enough to get your foot on. I even burnt a perfect round hole through the tip over wing plastic..(underneath) to pass the bar end through. It works in a pinch. and costs nothing. I think there is a photo of this in my profile pictures. I never touched ground with them while touring, but sure came in handy. Sorry about you bad luck getting them shipped.
Have a good ride and drive safe !

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
If you borrowed a set of blades you could either leave the covers off (doesn't look so bad) or borrow the covers too. If you were on an 1100 I'd loan you my blades and covers but they aren't going to fit your 1300.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
My MCL blades came with pre-cut tipover covers, so if you want to change back to STock you STill have the originals. I'm not sure they can ship fast enough for Tuesday though! :(

OP
OP
amad
Bike
2006 ST1300
I have already fabricated some brackets for some pegs. For $12 of parts from Lowe's plus whatever pegs cost me tomorrow, I will have some pegs for much cheaper than "forgetful Larry Buck." I used u-bolts (modded slightly) and some flat steel. I am posting a couple of pics of the progress. I will paint the flat piece of steel black and then mount the pegs. So far it seems like it will be pretty solid.

Attachments

OP
OP
amad
Bike
2006 ST1300
Here's the finished product. All parts including the pegs from Cycle Gear cost me $22. That saved me $160 over Buck Sport Touring pegs. He still has not refunded my money. I think I'll send him a reminder, along with these pictures showing him what I made for $22. :rofl1:

Attachments

OP
OP
amad
Bike
2006 ST1300
Here's a couple more pics of a modification I needed to make. I drilled a small pilot hole through the u-bolt brace and the crash bar and put a self tapping screw in it. Without it the pegs tended to want to rotate down with my legs on them. I also bought a set of longer pegs. These short ones were a little short to get my legs on around the fairings.

Attachments

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I like the way you did these. Since they have been on for a while is there anything you would have done differently? Do you know which pegs you ended up using? If not how long are they? Thanks for the great photos.

OP
OP
amad
Bike
2006 ST1300
I like the way you did these. Since they have been on for a while is there anything you would have done differently? Do you know which pegs you ended up using? If not how long are they? Thanks for the great photos.
Thanks. The only thing I changed from these pictures was putting on a little longer pegs. I put pegs that were about 5.5" long instead of these, which were about 3" long. I didn't change the mount at all. Since I have installed these, I have put on many miles on long trips and it makes it MUCH nicer to have somewhere else to put my feet. They are solid as can be. I just got these pegs off of eBay. Not sure of the brand.

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
Good lord that's ugly. This needs to go on the worst farkles list of what not to do to your ST.

How can you tell that I am not a fan of hiway pegs. Of any kind. If you want that style of riding buy a Harley :p: :D

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
Oh cmon Blue... St 1300 riders are known for function over form[emoji12] I do prefer the stock peg position but the HWY blades offer a good change of pace and some much needed air flow.[emoji41]

scootac

Will Ride for Food
I find it funny that folks think they just CAN NOT ride X miles without extra pegs/different seat/windshield/cruise control.... whatever.
Buck up Boys... it's never going to be a Caddy/Lexus/Mercedes!!!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I find it funny that folks think they just CAN NOT ride X miles without extra pegs/different seat/windshield/cruise control.... whatever.
Buck up Boys... it's never going to be a Caddy/Lexus/Mercedes!!!
Interesting, I guess your bike is 100% stock? Tough guy. LOL

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Interesting, I guess your bike is 100% stock? Tough guy. LOL
Not quite.
The DR has a Renzaco ? seat on it. On there when I bought it.
The ST and BMW do have stock seats, windshield and pegs.
Growing up with my butt in a metal tractor seat adds a different perspective to 'comfort'.

Top Bottom