Disappointed in Buck Sport Touring - need to vent

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Not quite.
The DR has a Renzaco ? seat on it. On there when I bought it.
The ST and BMW do have stock seats, windshield and pegs.
Growing up with my butt in a metal tractor seat adds a different perspective to 'comfort'.
Well then my hat is off to you. Not many can live with a stock ST seat, remind me to never kick you in the rear, I don't want to break a toe lol.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Well then my hat is off to you. Not many can live with a stock ST seat, remind me to never kick you in the rear, I don't want to break a toe lol.
Are you talking about the 1300, or any ST?

I'm the same as Scootac, before I bought my 1100 I toured for years on Yamaha FZ/FZR sport bikes, which had the hardest seats of any bike I've ever owned or seen. Pretty close to a metal tractor seat with a black vinyl cover. When I got the ST1100 the first long ride I went on I burned an entire tank of gas (about 350 miles) without getting off the bike, it felt like a couch compared to my FZR. I can't imagine needing a softer seat than that, so maybe you're talking about the 1300 and its much different than the 1100?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Are you talking about the 1300, or any ST?

I'm the same as Scootac, before I bought my 1100 I toured for years on Yamaha FZ/FZR sport bikes, which had the hardest seats of any bike I've ever owned or seen. Pretty close to a metal tractor seat with a black vinyl cover. When I got the ST1100 the first long ride I went on I burned an entire tank of gas (about 350 miles) without getting off the bike, it felt like a couch compared to my FZR. I can't imagine needing a softer seat than that, so maybe you're talking about the 1300 and its much different than the 1100?
I only have experience on the 1300 and it wouldn't surprise me that the 1100 seats were comparably better.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I find it funny that folks think they just CAN NOT ride X miles without extra pegs/different seat/windshield/cruise control.... whatever.
Buck up Boys... it's never going to be a Caddy/Lexus/Mercedes!!!
Nope.. it's going to be a very comfy Honda ST.

Tipster rides long distance with full stock, but I think he does have a throttle lock.
Me... I customized just about everything. It's not that maybe I couldn't ride, well stock seat definitely not, but why not enjoy the scenery and cruise in comfort.
Not like it's a bike designed in the 50's anymore.

Guess that is why we each own our own.

Bike
2008 ST1300A Red
Not many can live with a stock ST seat,
Have had to learn that he hard way. Had a Saddleman on the GW that worked, but IMO the Stock ST is not made for even the shortest of long hauls. Or, maybe my Butt's not Iron enough.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I find it funny that folks think they just CAN NOT ride X miles without extra pegs/different seat/windshield/cruise control.... whatever.
Buck up Boys... it's never going to be a Caddy/Lexus/Mercedes!!!
It is not that we CAN NOT, it is we CHOOSE NOT TO[emoji12].

I took a 3000 mile ride last year through Oregon, Idaho, Utah, WY, CO, and MT. Most of it was very hot....100+. When I returned I told myself I was not going to take another long trip unless I have a way to get air to my legs, and a way to keep my butt from killing me after 75 miles.

This year when I did take a shorter 1500 mile ride in the heat I was very happy that I bought my highway blades and Russell Day Long seat. Yes in comparison it did feel like a Lexus!

Could I have done it without the modifications? Sure....but it was a lot more enjoyable with them.[emoji41]

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
A stock ST ? :) What's that.

See if you can spot all the farkles. :) Hint, some of them are subtle and some are obvious, some of them are hidden but they are all functional and the list is quite long.
They do not include a cruise control or a bigger windshield or a set of hiway pegs :D
If anyone is truly interested I can post a list and a few details :)

Attachments

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
[QUOTE;1777781]I see what you mean..Has anyone here got an ST with No changes? [/QUOTE]

Almost. I've replaced the front brake lines with SS braided, and removed those rubbery handlebar mounts and put homemade washers in there to take up the gap so the bars are rigid mounted to the clamp. Oh yeah, did the same thing with the floppy rubbery saddlebag mounts to make them more rigid. And tapered steering stem bearings. Jeez, 4 changes, and I still think of my bike as being stock because the only change you can actually see are the SS brake lines.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I actually don't mind the look of those pegs. As for not farkling the ST, I'm glad some can tolerate the stock seat but I can't. After 20 miles on the stock seat I could have had a vasectomy without anesthetic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
amad
Bike
2006 ST1300
For long distance rides, my pegs make the ride MUCH more enjoyable. I probably only put my feet on them on a long ride for about 1% of the time, but that time makes all the difference in the world in the comfort of my knees, legs, butt, etc. Personally, I don't think they look too bad when they are folded in. Around town, they are always folded in. As far as the seat goes, I find the stock seat very comfortable even for long trips.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I'd say they look pretty good to Aaron.

I probably use mine a bit more than you. I have a 45 mile commute in the morning and once I'm past the heavy traffic area I often put up my legs.

On a vacation travel day, I would imagine my feet spend as much time on my highway pegs as much as the regular pegs.

Top Bottom