Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Laam Custom Seat

Bike
    '04 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Laam Custom Seat

Like many of you I have never been happy with the OEM seat on my ST1300. I researched, considered, researched, thought about money, and then did nothing. After a couple long trips and more misery, I bought a used Sargent. I got my $$$'s worth out of the Sargent, I did my first (and only) SS1K on it and in general was fairly happy. But I knew it could be better. Everyone raves about the RDL. I know it has to be a great seat. I am sure it is worth the $$$. I am sure it is worth waiting on the long lead time. I don't like the way it looks. Sorry, there it is. So I saw a picture of a Laam Custom Seat on an FJR. I decided I had to have one. I sent an e-mail. Here are some of the results.

› Site Search for: Laam Custom Seat

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    '04 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Re: Laam Custom Seat

Bike
    06 ST1300
    My Gallery

Looks nice. How much do those cost?
    -Fred
    06' ST1300
    10' KTM 250XCFW CE

Bike
    2005 ST1300
    My Gallery

Riding 2up around the world l84toff's Avatar
    Bike
    Tiger Explorer 1200
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My Gallery

More importantly how does it feel (on short and long rides)?

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    '04 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

After I sent an e-mail to Laam, I received a phone call from Seth Laam. A super nice guy who seemed very knowledgeable and very focused on customer service. After 5 minutes on the phone with him I knew I wanted to spend my money with Laam Custom Seats. I sent Seth my seat that day. He received it late on a Thursday evening. He called me Monday morning to re-hash some of the requirements. I had e-mailed him some pics of me on the OEM and the Sargent seats. He shipped the seat back that Thursday. Now, my requirements were simple. I needed a seat that was more comfortable than my couch yet thin enough that I could still touch with both feet when stopped. I needed more legroom but I did not want to sit any higher. I needed it to look great while feeling great. Simply stated, the seat needed to be impossibly perfect. I think Seth did that for me. I have not put any long miles on it yet. My work commute is 9 miles and I have not been able to ride much more than that lately. I can tell already that it is far better than the OEM or the Sargent.

Bike
    ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My Gallery

Nice looking seat and good prices only time and distance will tell. Let us know how it is on a 700+ mile day. The worksmanship looks very good.

STOC # 5079
    AMA # 948456
    IBA # 32834
    2003 ST 1300
    STeve USAF Ret.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    '04 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

In spite of all my best efforts, I cannot seem to get more than a 30-40 mile window of riding on my new seat. We all know that is not enough time for a truly useful evaluation. I will try my best, but you all know as well as I do that I don't have the answers the true LD rider needs. Making the transition from OEM to the Sargent was wonderful. The Sargent is firm and wide, it does not slide me into the tank and does not compress and crush my...You get the picture. In preparation for the Custom Seat I had to put the OEM back on to take accurate pics. Just sitting on the OEM after a year on the Sargent was terrible. Really, really terrible. How did I ever enjoy this? I rode it around the block on the OEM and was disgusted. Therefore, my transition into the Laam Custom was from the Sargent which really is a very good seat. Not as abrupt and significant a change as from OEM directly to Custom. I can honestly say that the Laam Custom is infinitely better than anything I have ever ridden on before. It is probably the most comfortable "chair" I have ever sat in. My couch does not make me as "at home" comfy as this seat after 10 minutes. I have a trip to New Mexico and Colorado scheduled for July 6th, I will attempt to give a fair evaluation after that.

Bike
    ST-1200
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My Gallery

That's a sharp looking seat, great to have more seat options out there. I really like my Sargent seat but sounds like this is a close and competitively priced upgrade... thanks for posting.

Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Waiting to hear about the seat after your July 6 trip. Looks like a winner.
    Jim

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast