Laam Custom Seat

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have the Lamm mod, best seat I ever had on any bike. Me thinks your butt may need modded ??
My :butt1: is persnickety, that's for sure! The best saddle I've had (have) is the last RDL I bought off this site, just before our September ride. It's even better than my first RDL, that I put over 215K on.

So, once I send my saddle back to Seth, he'll have to make it better than this RDL!

I love the front seat in those pictures of the ST13, it's how I imagine the perfect seat for me, no doubt shipping my front seat base to the USA and return costs to the UK would be way to much :-(.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
You could buy a seat from Ebay in the US, have it shipped to the seat builder and have only one trans atlantic shipping bill. You could then sell your seat on ebay locally. I'm guessing they would assess the VAT through the shipping process.

Heard nothing back from Laam yet, same treatment as Russell some 5 years ago.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Came across this thread while doing a search on Laam's customer service. Gonna start a separate thread soon. I'm not happy. I'm about 7-8 weeks into my "3 week" production.

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
Came across this thread while doing a search on Laam's customer service. Gonna start a separate thread soon. I'm not happy. I'm about 7-8 weeks into my "3 week" production.
Everything has pretty much been on fire up there for the last few weeks. Probably contributing to the delay.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Everything has pretty much been on fire up there for the last few weeks. Probably contributing to the delay.
Yes I realize that and it's the only reason I'm not livid. Although I called him way before the fires. Long story short... he said as long as I had another seat to use to send in my stocker. It would be about 3 weeks or maybe sooner if there were cancellations. 4 weeks later I call and he says it will be about 3 weeks, that there were 31 seats in front of me and he would put me on the white board if there were any cancellations. Obviously I fell thru a crack in their process. Obviously my seat sits in it's box for whenever they feel like getting around to it.

Sorry but I don't see his great customer service.

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
Yes I realize that and it's the only reason I'm not livid. Although I called him way before the fires. Long story short... he said as long as I had another seat to use to send in my stocker. It would be about 3 weeks or maybe sooner if there were cancellations. 4 weeks later I call and he says it will be about 3 weeks, that there were 31 seats in front of me and he would put me on the white board if there were any cancellations. Obviously I fell thru a crack in their process. Obviously my seat sits in it's box for whenever they feel like getting around to it.

Sorry but I don't see his great customer service.
Agreed, and frustrating. It should also fall on business owners to instigate communication when they know they wont be able to meet stated deadlines.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Unfortunately sounds like my experience with Laam several years ago. The end result was ok but I sold the seat and went with a Russell and couldn't be happier.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Trapperdog said:
It should also fall on business owners to instigate communication when they know they wont be able to meet stated deadlines.
+1 but I can't ever remember a time when that happened to me. Nor a time when a vendor seemed particularly contrite or even apologetic. Ok Amazon reps are pretty well trained in that regard and I even occasionally get some form of compensation. I'd almost want Bezos to go into the ST repair business except he'd probably put indies out of business.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I have a Laam seat on my 1300 and love it, but he is very slow at getting back to people. With that being said, when I bought my K1600 I tried to contact him about doing that seat as well. I sent in a email request and waited. After 2 weeks of no response I contacted Russell. Within a week I had talked to their guy, picked out material, and had a build date. The build date was 2 months out, but I was on the schedule. About 2 weeks before I shipped my seat to Russell I received a call from Laam about my request. Needless to say I didn't call him back.

He has a great product, but his customer service sucks. Several on this forum have said that he is a one man shop and that is why things are so slow. He does manage to stay in business though even with the terrible service.

Sent using Tapatalk

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Too bad, typical one-man operation suffering from supply/demand... I've had similar issues myself when dealing with Rick Mayer and Bill Mayer seats... but when I tried Laam, he was quick to respond and I got the seat when he said I would... he'd just quit working for Rick Mayer I believe so he was getting popular but not super busy, I just lucked out. Still have his seat and if I get another Super Tenere I'll tell them to keep the oem and I'll put my Laam seat on.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
If you want timely communication with Mr. Laam you need to use the phone. That's the lesson I learned when I had my seats recovered.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
If you want timely communication with Mr. Laam you need to use the phone. That's the lesson I learned when I had my seats recovered.
That's exactly what I've done. He specifically said to call and not email. But I'm sure the man is busy and I'm not going to blow up his phone every week. No need to agitate him. I don't think calling often will speed up the process, it is what it is. I'm afraid if I call he'll tell me there's 32 seats in front of me now instead of 31. LOL

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Yeah, as Mellow mentioned Seth's a one man company, working out of his garage, or at least he was in 2014 when I did a ride-in to rebuild my ST1300's seats. I had the same problem with e-mail arranging my ride-in then, but his cell phone's right there in the garage, so if you need to talk to him, call him during business hours. FWIW, I've had the seats for four years and SWMBO and I continue to enjoy riding on them. And at only US$389 for both seats the rebuild was a bargain compared to having Russell do it. Good luck.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Yeah, as Mellow mentioned Seth's a one man company, working out of his garage, or at least he was in 2014 when I did a ride-in to rebuild my ST1300's seats. I had the same problem with e-mail arranging my ride-in then, but his cell phone's right there in the garage, so if you need to talk to him, call him during business hours. FWIW, I've had the seats for four years and SWMBO and I continue to enjoy riding on them. And at only US$389 for both seats the rebuild was a bargain compared to having Russell do it. Good luck.
Yep , that's what my 2 LAAM seats cost me too.

B.T.W. has anyone communicated with Seth Laam since the Carr fire ? Pretty sure it got within about 3 miles of his business , but don't know about his residence in relation to that fire ?

Last edited:

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
While that does help, it doesn't guarantee better response. When I had to have some corrections made to my seat I called to set up the adjustments. Took a week before he called me back.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom