Boots Best Waterproof Boot for hot weather

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Several months back when the weather was nice and cool, I purchased some Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex Boots. They fit well and were waterproof. Now that Texas summer temps are bumping 100 degrees, I'm finding that these things don't breath a bit and my feet get so hot it almost puts me to sleep.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality waterproof boot that doesn't parboil your feet in summer?

BMW makes a popular boot called the "Allround", for a surprising (for BMW) $249. Nicely designed, fairly light and comfy. They'll be my next boot for "allround" riding but it will be years until I wear out my Sidi OnRoads (which are pretty warm but also help keep my left shin from being scorched on the ST) Anyway, have look at you nearby BMW dealer or look at www.maxbmw.com or www.bobsbmw.com

pete

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Tourmaster Solution has worked well for me. Comfy, waterproof and half the price of most. I'd get em again in a heartbeat.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Since ACL recommended them over 4 years ago, I've been wearing . . . TCX Goretex boots, year 'round.

Breathe just fine and were comfortable right out of the box. Soles were finally wearing down on my first pair, had them resoled and they don't fit as well, so bought a second pair.

-2 degrees up to long hours over 110, no problems. I've stood in streams to take pics with no leakage at all. Also, easy on and off with one zipper and one velcro flap. Made in Romania. Really like them.

Mine are TCX-5 Plus Gore-Tex. Here's one source, there are others. This page also has a 5+ minute video about the boot.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-five-plus-boots

Shuey

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
TCX also makes an Air version of the Gortex boot. Has the gortex lining so still waterproof, but they are very, very breathable. I got the all leather pair first, then added the Air ones. They breath so well you wouldn't want them on a 50 degree day...too cold then. Like a pair of mesh sneakers as far as hot weather comfort. Still have full armor protection too. The only boots I wear when it's warm/hot. Very comfortable to walk around in too.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
My feet don't get too clammy so I never notice a difference in summer. if you have hot feet, I can't say. But,,,if you want to buy your last pair of boots,,they can be re soled,,get a pair of Areostich Combat Lite. Full leather construction and with annual application of silicone I have never had wet feet. A bit spendy, buy as I said they will last for ever.
These are custom made for 'stich by SIDI

Last edited:

DonMac

My backyard
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Since ACL recommended them over 4 years ago, I've been wearing . . . TCX Goretex boots, year 'round.

Breathe just fine and were comfortable right out of the box. Soles were finally wearing down on my first pair, had them resoled and they don't fit as well, so bought a second pair.

-2 degrees up to long hours over 110, no problems. I've stood in streams to take pics with no leakage at all. Also, easy on and off with one zipper and one velcro flap. Made in Romania. Really like them.

Shuey[/QUOTE
I have a pair of boots labeled by BMW, also made in Romania and are totally waterproof. Paid $200 for them at a Honda dealer. Great boots!

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I have the Alpinestar Goretex boots and really haven't had any issues to speak of. I wear thinner Coolmax socks when it gets hot.

Louie Louie

Btw, isn't Goretex supposed to be a fantastic product with great breathability. Why all these complaints?

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Thanks all for the input. The TCX Air Goretex look interesting. Now to find someone here in Houston who stocks them so that I can try them on for fit.

8-BALL

GeriatricMutantNinja Norwegian
Bike
ST1300 - NT700
STOC #
Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality waterproof boot that doesn't parboil your feet in summer?
X_STREET_detail.jpg
TCX Street - Nice ankle bone armor. Leather - with Gore-tex sock. Cloth - with no sock. Sizing is small I use 10.5 normally, needed 11. They are very comfortable after you get used to the high back. Available at JandP in Anamosa IA (Just north of Houston). $130

Dave C. :cool:

OOPS! Guess these are shoes not boots. Still may be of some interest.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Thanks to those who suggested the TCX Air Tech Gore-Tex! I wound up having to order them from Revzilla since no one in town carried them. They are exactly what I was looking for. It is SO nice not to have my feet feeling like they are in hot water when we have the upper 90 & 100+ degree days. I really like the fact that these boots are still waterproof. The fit is a tad loose but I think that is by design so as to allow air circulation. This actually works out good for me because as I've aged, my right foot seems to have gotten wider. This is one of the VERY few boots that have fit me well right out of the box.

Louie Louie

Thanks to those who suggested the TCX Air Tech Gore-Tex! I wound up having to order them from Revzilla since no one in town carried them. They are exactly what I was looking for. It is SO nice not to have my feet feeling like they are in hot water when we have the upper 90 & 100+ degree days. I really like the fact that these boots are still waterproof. The fit is a tad loose but I think that is by design so as to allow air circulation. This actually works out good for me because as I've aged, my right foot seems to have gotten wider. This is one of the VERY few boots that have fit me well right out of the box.
Very glad you found a good product. It sure is a nice looking boot and it seems practical plus the price is good for goretex.

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
I wish they made this boot in a larger size (50) ! I am using the AlpineStars SMX-2 only because its the only boot at a size 50. Well, I'm still on the lookout for a breathing Gore-Tex shoe at size 50/US 15 .

Regards,
Vishnu

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Keep in mind that GoreTex doesn't "breathe" when the outside of the garment or footwear is wet. Water may not get in, but water vapor from your sweaty feet or hands can't escape when the outer layer is saturated. This is why GoreTex gloves leave your hands clammy when you ride in the rain. With GoreTex think "waterproof" or "breathable" but not both.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Keep in mind that GoreTex doesn't "breathe" when the outside of the garment or footwear is wet. Water may not get in, but water vapor from your sweaty feet or hands can't escape when the outer layer is saturated. This is why GoreTex gloves leave your hands clammy when you ride in the rain. With GoreTex think "waterproof" or "breathable" but not both.
I haven't been in any significant rain in hot weather yet with my TCX Airtech boots but the breathability may not be a problem when wet because during rain it's cool anyway and when the rain stops, the air on the wet gore-tex as it dries out should cool your feet down. If I have a short period of cool clamminess, I'm perfectly OK with it, especially given that the boots will dry out quickly. It's the other 99% of the time when it's not raining that I want those cool Airtech boots to do their thing. Those boots have GREATLY helped me with our high summer temps down here in Texas. The effect of those temps are magnified by the ST's barfing of mass quantities of heat :bow1:.

Last edited:
Top Bottom