BT023GT Tyres - Worn Out - Photos after 3760 miles.

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
I'm not sure if mine are the GT version but I will not put them back on. I have about 8000 kms on mine and they look like they could go at anytime as you said John. I'll go back to Avon Storms from now on.

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
I just ordered a new set of BT-023 tires. The present set has at least 11000 km on them, and probably has another 1000 to go.

Byron

STOC #
Based on the spec's I could find for the BT023GT the rear size is 180/55 which is meant for a 5.5" wide rear wheel. The ST1300 only has a 5" wide rear wheel. This could cause the tire to bow into a less than optimal shape for proper tire wear. Maybe if they made the GT version in a 170/60 size things might be different. That being said, I also believe that the rubber is softer for better grip and more spirited riding which would also accelerate tread wear.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Based on the spec's I could find for the BT023GT the rear size is 180/55 which is meant for a 5.5" wide rear wheel. The ST1300 only has a 5" wide rear wheel. This could cause the tire to bow into a less than optimal shape for proper tire wear. Maybe if they made the GT version in a 170/60 size things might be different. That being said, I also believe that the rubber is softer for better grip and more spirited riding which would also accelerate tread wear.
The BT023GT does come in the 170/60 size. The Bridgestone site has not listed them.

st1300doug

I've been watching the threads on this tire. I have the BT023. No GT designation. I have over 5000 miles and they are wearing great. Looks like I'll get at least 8K or more. Others have said bad things on the "GT". I haven't found a way to put all the reports into ONE file. Even some magazine reported about Bridgestone having BAD rubber molds in a European batch. I'll see if I can find the Link!

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
The previous owner had BT023 on the rear and it looks worse than John's. He put on PR3 in front and it looks great. I'll be putting on PR3 on the rear in the near future.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
The lighting doesn't do it justice. There's so much unevenness and the rubber is in really rough shape. I wouldn't be putting these back on.

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
The BT023GT does come in the 170/60 size. The Bridgestone site has not listed them.
Confirmed. I now have about 2000 miles on a set of BT023GT tires that I got from those "two-brothers" characters. A 120/70 up front and a 170/60 on the rear. So far, they are performing well and still look like new. Time and mileage will tell, but I don't ride too aggressively.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
[Edit] Tyres were fitted to an ST1300A6 Pressure always checked at 42psi[/Edit]

These may be of interest. They are almost down to the wear bar on the right hand side. At this point they are getting down to some softer rubber and they are wearing down at quite a rate. I though that this would last me until 5000 miles a couple of weeks ago. Then I went for a short ride, and they were like this. I have a weekend of riding coming up, and I know they won't last. In any case, I won't ride beyond the wear bar. Note the thin raised lip developed on the left hand side of the groove, which makes it look like there is more tread than there actually is. There is a lot of tread left on the top and on the left hand side, but the right hand side has had it.

The BT020 F has now gone on the back.

Its worth noting that normally I get a little over 5000 miles on BT020F rear tyres. Much less than many report on this forum. This isn't me being throttle happy, Its to do more with the weight being carried.

The majority of their very short life has been used for two-up touring, and 1500 miles was on the granite chipped Scottish Highland roads. They had started moving around a bit on the road in faster corners - as if the tyre pressure was a tad low.

A great tyre when new. I can't afford this level of wear though. A friend reported similar wear pattern when I saw him yesterday. He had them changed today and reported that the service centre was seeing a lot of Pan Riders going back to the BT020 F tyres.

Bridgestone site has a T30 GT available apparently (T for Touring) GT again for the heavier bike. Does anyone know anything ?
In what Country were they manufactured? It might be worth tracking as different manufacturers have had Country specific failures.
There were some Dunlops from Brazil that would delaminate if I remember correctly.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I hope the 020F does ya better. In the 160/70/17 size, I've gotten 15,000 miles on an 1100. I'm running the newer Michelin Commander now, just installed the second one. Don't have the beginning mileage here for the first one but will post up when I get home next week.

(Reminds me, I'm gonna start putting my maintenance info into the memo pad here, that way I'll have it anywhere. Duh! :doh1: Shoul'da started that long ago.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Too bad it isn't cheaper to ship tires across the pond. I would always wear out the left side of my tires you wear out the right side. If we got new tires and swapped at midlife we could wear them out all the way around.

Never tried the GT but the regular 023 lasted less than 6K miles on my bike. I only ride 1 up. The front did good. I think it was 18K when I pulled it off. The rear just gave up the ghost way too soon. The 020 did better but now I went dark.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
My regular BT 023 rear looked just like yours and I only got 3800 miles on it. I am trying the GTs now. If the mileage is not better I will try the PR3s next time.

Bike
06 ST1300
Too bad it isn't cheaper to ship tires across the pond. I would always wear out the left side of my tires you wear out the right side. If we got new tires and swapped at midlife we could wear them out all the way around.

Never tried the GT but the regular 023 lasted less than 6K miles on my bike. I only ride 1 up. The front did good. I think it was 18K when I pulled it off. The rear just gave up the ghost way too soon. The 020 did better but now I went dark.
I rode 400cc motorcycles in the 70s through 90s. This is the first big boy bike I've owned. And the tire wear and cost bothers me. I don't remember tires as being such a big maintenance issue then as it is now. I'm actually thinking of swapping the ST to a Honda NC700. Maybe the lighter weight and wider tire options will help.

The left side wear issue is from the crown of the road sloping to the right for drainage. I've actually gotten stupidly obsessive with trying to minimize wear. On straight highways, freeways and interstates, I ride on the right side of the tire rut depressions, however perceptible, simply to get a more even wear out of the tires. It works. But it's a constant nagging reminder of the short tire life these bikes get.

Top Bottom