seat cusion

Bike
03 st1300
STOC #
Can anyone suggest a good air cushion for 1300, my arse is killin me after a couple hundred miles, right across the tail bone level......:confused:

Never had this on other bikes...thanks Steve

Bike
2005 ST 1300
Can anyone suggest a good air cushion for 1300, my arse is killin me after a couple hundred miles, right across the tail bone level......:confused:

Airhawk makes a cushion or beads some say help but ultimately Russel Day Long if you spend long days in saddle!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Never tried an air cushion but a spence mod took a 300mile oem seat to 2 tanks before I need to get off and walk around.
An Alaska butt pad was not as effective.
YBMV.

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
The Corbin that came on my bike is quite old, but still delivers plenty of comfort. Sorry, don't know about any Air types.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I'm experimenting...

I bought an Airhawk replacement seat cover (without the air pad) and cut a piece of medium density foam to shape, stuffed it on the cover and strapped it to the bike.

So far, it's a distinct improvement, but not a complete cure. I think I might need a higher density foam (but not thicker) because I sink pretty much all the way down to the stock saddle.

I do think that the air pad would work much better, but I want to experiment more before I make a bigger financial commitment.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
New seat or spencer mod.. Most popular are Sargent, russell, corbin or spencer modification of stock seat. Depends on what you are looking for. Me long days in the saddle needed a russell Look for the many post on the subject.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
As others have suggested, the only real solution is a new custom saddle or a modified one. The only saddle that I've ever had that produced zero buttache during 14 hour days in the saddle was a Russell Day Long (on my ST1100). They are pricey but definitely worth it if you enjoy long distance riding. For my ST1300, I went with a modified stock saddle done by Spencer . It was an improvement from bone stock but still not a truly long distance solution like the Russell was for me. Also mentioned is a Sargent Saddle . Like the Russell, not a cheap solution but a definite improvement over stock. I've had good luck with the Sargent on other bikes (VFR, Bandit).

My experience hasn't been like this. EVERY bike I've ever had used saddles that were torture racks. My Bandit was the worst.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I use an Airhawk air cushion in combination with my Sargeant seat. Works well. It is nice to be able to adjust the air pressure and also move the Airhawk around to adjust to different pressure poiunts on long rides. Tried a Russell, it was not for me.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
Airhawk.

If you want to make it adjustable during the ride, add the pump bulb with pressure relief fitting from a blood pressure measuring device. They sell them on Ebay. If you need to change the pressure points, add or remove air during the ride with just one hand.

Without the Airhawk, I would not be able to make the IB ride in reasonable comfort.

OP
OP
Bike
03 st1300
STOC #
Thanks to all for good ideas....I have an Alaska Lamb skin cover....I think I'll give the Airhawk a shot alond with the Alaska....

can't justify a custom seat right now have a great summer

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
Sore butts are not a happy place to be - had a Corbin seat installed which improved it quite a bit, but what really helps keep the crotch bites away is a gel cushion I picked up at a Canadian Tire Store for the whopping price of $10 - normally around $20. It's relatively thin, has a sticky back which doesn't move around and a travel handle which can be tucked under the front of the seat to keep it in place. Love it so much I bought 5 of them and gave them to ST1300 friends. It's a cheap opton to try.

Ken

OP
OP
Bike
03 st1300
STOC #
Good idea on the air cushion Muncher I'll try that, My Air Hawk is at home so I'll try it as soon as I can....really hope it works as well for me, Steve

Bike
2009 Wee Strom
I just got my ST last week. Ridden about 400 miles on it so far, most rides about two hours at a time. Also, the bike, although two years old, was barely ridden (2 years old, 650 miles on the odometer) so the seat hasn't had time to break-in.

My stats? 5'4", 155 pounds, mostly muscle (amateur bodybuilder, doing well in the lightweight weightclass this year)

Coming from various bikes, it seems to "show promise" if that makes any sense. I can feel the seat flexing underneath me as I ride and feel the cushiness, but it STILL seems just not quite right.

For most seats and modded seats, you'll see that the main difference between OEM and a custom seat is the seat width and curvature. In general, wider and flatter = more comfortable. So if you're feeling lucky, a staple gun, some strips of foam, and an electric turkey knife could make a world of difference.

Myself? I'm not gonna go custom seat real soon, partially to give it time to break in and mostly cause I've spent my budget on OTHER mods!!! lol. But I WILL be going to walmart and picking up a beaded seat made for cars and cutting/modifying it for the bike. 15 bucks is worth losing if it's a complete failure. Also, one of the most comfortable setups I ever had was on my old FJR. A russell daylong seat for the wife (two piece seat), and what looked to be a bill or rick mayer seat for me (was bought used, didn't know which one it was). The russell was awesome for her, and it raised her up a little so she could see over my helmet. Also, since it was thicker, it lessened the angle of her legs to the pegs so she was much more comfortable. For me, I like a narrower seat for my short legs.

But in general, the airhawk, beads, lambskin, all of them contribute to making the seat flatter which helps comfort.

Alexi

Bike
2009 Wee Strom
If that's what you think.. I have a Corbin at the house I'll make you a deal on. Wide and flat!
I'll bite, but I'm pretty sure my wife knows I've blown my farkle budget this year. But yes, Corbin definitely is a lot harder than most expect. But from what I understand, after 1k miles either the seat breaks in or your butt breaks in and from what I've seen, people who keep the corbin for that length of time, love 'em.

Alexi

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I know two folks that are happy with 'em. Me.. not so much. But each to their own.

It is a very nicely made saddle Good leather, solid base and plenty of rivets holding it all together.

Cucho

Carlos
Bike
2007 ST 1300A
Hi do you know hoe many inches the Airhawk cushion will add to the seat height?

I don't flat foot, so I don't want to add to much to the seat height that cause me to tip-toe.

Top Bottom