How to fix ABS II Faulty rear modulator crank angle sensor

OK so I has this ABS fault come up at the start of the year... Code 2 - Faulty rear modulator crank angle sensor system.

Looked through this and a few other forums, found details on the replacement ?125ish part plus fitting...blah, blah, blah...

It's a lot of money for a little sensor (or in fact what turns out to be a ?2 part in a bespoke housing..)...

And Ebay is not much help, there are a lot of front crank angle sensors on there for not too much money ( of corse there are, these almost never go wrong), but no rears..!

So after a bit of fiddling about and a few months of searching for a cheap answer I found the solution..

Anyway, the point of all this was to try and help anyone else who comes up against this problem... (apologies if anyone has covered this before and I just missed it).

So as we may or may not all know, the problem with the rear ABS modulator is that it sits right next to the rear shock and consequently gets covered in water, dirt and grime thanks to the lack of inner fender at this point.
Over time the aluminium housing of the ABS Modulator starts to oxide and slowly but surly the corrosion worsens to the point where it pushes the crank angle sensor off it's seat.
This has a couple or consequences:
1. This breaks the sensor housing
2. This or a combination of this and consequence 1 allows water to get inside..

The net result is that the sensor fails to function...ABS stops working and the rest of the fancy breaking system is nothing more than ballast slowing you down...

Well help is at hand my friends!!!

You see the front crank angle sensor is actually identical to the rear... the only difference is the length of cable from sensor to plug...
So......
This a little bit of time, effort and luck you can have that ABS system sitting there ready and waiting but with nothing to do for years to come....

Now I have not included pictures on getting the old sensor out but it is not too hard... You do not have to take the ABS module out, just move it enough to get a torx drive onto the sensor bolts...
Three bolts, a loosened banjo and a bit of fiddling will see you good...

So, once you have the pesky critter out, in pictures, the mod....

The front modulator crank angle sensor
2013-06-28 15.01.21.jpg

The rear modulator crank angle sensor
2013-06-28 15.01.52.jpg

Notice the difference, the rear has a white plug (although identical) and longer lead.

The fault (or at least one of them)
2013-07-01 22.03.04.jpg

AND NOW..... The Solution....

Cut of the plug from your replacement front sensor as close to the plug as you can and discard the plug...
2013-06-28 15.04.17.jpg

And on the old rear sensor, cut about half way along and discard the sensor...
2013-06-28 15.02.27.jpg

It is now a case of soldering and heat shrinking the new sensor and cable to old socket and cable..
2013-06-28 15.02.40.jpg

Its so easy, blue wire to blue wire, black wire to black wire, yellow wire....you get the idea...

Once you are done, refit your lovely new sensor...
2013-06-28 15.17.54.jpg

Now remember, before fitting the new sensor clear away any corrosion around the sensor mounting area.. Make sure the sensor fits flush (I also used a liberal amount of grease on the mounting face to try and slow down a repeat of the problem.
Finally, ride off into the sunset safe in the knowledge that if some A**hole tries to kill you and you have to throw out the anker... there is a pretty good chance you will still be on your trusty steed when she come to a stop...:biker:

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300 -2
STOC #
Hi all, I must be having an extremely "thick" moment here .Are we saying replace the faulty rear sensor with the sound front sensor? If so how is the front sensor position /role met? Edward.

Apologies all.Think I have now understood! ...get hold of a cheap & plentiful front sensor for the replacement.Masterful.Thanks! Edward.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hi Edward,

Hope it helped.. Let us know how you get on..

Just a quick update from me, myself and I..

Been running my repair for almost 12 months now and have had a couple of occasions where I have almost needed clean trousers (car pulled out of a side turning, car changed lanes on the M4 without looking)...
Both times I have hit the brakes hard and both times the ABS has done her thing.... Joy!!

Now I just need to get her a shiny new MOT for this year... The Road is a Calling...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I don't understand why there wasn't a hugger available for the ST1100...
I'd debated that issue with some Britt riders already like ~15 years ago...
Makes me wonder that if I should ever come across a plastic/mold company, I should start MFG and distribution...

Bike
Vstrom 650
Makes me wonder that if I should ever come across a plastic/mold company, I should start MFG and distribution
Yes I think they would sell and be a great addition to the bike,I have a hugger on my vfr,keeps the dirt of the shock etc.

OP
OP
I assume you guys have seen this... Got one of these for mine a couple of years ago... really helps...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Possible that the only physical difference is cabling length and type/colour of the connector shell?

On the fiche the unit-casings inserted into the modulator pumps appear identical...

Did some research and it seems that Honda includes a rubber shroud covering the new sensor to deal with corrosion issues; possible they also include a connector-kit for front and rear?

Top Bottom