Bead Rider

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
A few weeks ago I promised someone here I'd post a review of my Bead Rider after my trip. The trip, as some know, got canned, but I've since had enough saddle time to give it a good workout. So, without further ado...

What it Is. The Bead Rider is a cover made of wooden beads that you put on the top of your saddle. The benefits, according to the manufacturer, are two-fold: it reduces the pressure points on your tail and gives air a place to circulate underneath you. Both of those will be covered later.

Installation. Easy peasy, as our friends across the pond like to say. Take the seat off the bike, place the bead rider on the top with the trimmed-off parts facing forward, pull the elastic cords around the bottom and pull them tight with the spring-loaded stays. I found that I had to adjust the position of the rear stay to keep it out of the way of the parts on the frame the seat sits on. The recommended size (14x14") leaves about 2" of room for front-to-back position adjustment.

Initial Impressions. The cover is put together with heavy nylon fishing line, some of which shows around the outside. My wife, who makes beaded jewelry, said the arrangement they used to thread it through the beads should hold up well. On mine there's one or two spots where I think they could have added a bead, leaving about 3/4" of exposed line. The instruction card that comes with the Bead Rider warns that beads are more slippery than a regular saddle, and they're not kidding. There's lots of room to slide around on this thing, but if you ride with your knees against the tank, you'll get used to it in about a half hour. The extra slide-around does make it easier to vary your position, which in my case meant being able to ride a bit longer without stopping. I find that the beads tend to slide forward and back as I do, and after awhile my riding position causes the whole thing to migrate toward the back part of the front seat. Curing that whole underway isn't a big deal: you pick your tush up, put it back down toward the back and let everything slide back to where you want it. Seat height changes by about half an inch with the Bead Rider installed, so you may have to reconsider what position you use. I'm tall enough that I didn't have to change anything once I got used to it.

Pressure Points. Part of the theory that makes the Bead Rider work is that instead of having a few pressure points that get annoying as time passes, it distributes your weight across a few hundred of them, one on each bead. The good news is that the practice pretty much works. Sliding around a bit shifts them around nicely and gives you a low-budget butt massage. I've put on some weight over the last few years, and I did notice that the front edge cut into the tops my thighs initially. Some adjustment toward the rear helped that, and now I don't notice it. During a couple of all-day rides, I found that it really was comfortable.

Ventilation. If anything, this is where the Bead Rider excels. We had a couple of chilly mornings after I first installed it, and you could definitiely tell when you were moving. We've had progressively warmer days since, and after the temperature climbs into the 70s, you don't really notice it, but it's there. Today was the first day of summer in Washington, and the thermometer on the bike hung around 95 degrees most of the way home from work this afternoon. I can pretty much deal with whatever heat the bike belches out while I'm rolling, but sitting at long traffic lights gets a mite uncomfortable. With the Bead Rider installed, the bike continues to exude heat, but the gap between me and the seat gives it a place to go, and you can definitely tell the difference. When you come to a stop, your undercarriage will warm up a to a point, but after that it doesn't accumulate as it would with just the stock saddle. By the time I got home, I was plenty sweaty, but unlike similar days last year, I felt no need to pull my shorts out of the crack of my behind. One other thing the manufacturer points out is that the gap gives rain a place to drain off instead of being soaked up in your pants. I've only been out in a good rain once with it, but in that respect it does seem to work as advertised.

Summary. Given the prices of some of the other seat pads out there, I thought this one was worth a try, and I think I got my money's worth. There have been a couple of times I've thought about taking it off, but by the time I get to a stopping point, I've forgotten why.

Bead Rider 14"x14" beaded seat cover for ST1100 and ST1300.
$35 from http://www.beadrider.com.

I give it :butt1: :butt1: :butt1: :butt1: out of a possible 5.

--Mark

Long-Term Update, October, 2012: After six years of ownership, I still like this thing a lot. The one I bought experienced a failure in the nylon cord that holds it together, but BeadRider replaced it quickly without question. (The quickly part is relative, since they're just across the Potomac river from me.) The finish on some of the beads is starting to show age, but the whole thing has lasted surprisingly well and isn't showing any signs of being ready to fail. The newer ceramic-beaded model may last even longer. The only other thing I'll add is that you should remove it every few months and clean the seat, because it does tend to collect dust and dirt.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I had a real problem with butt burn on the stock seat till I installed the BeadRider.

Last Saturday I made a 700+ mile trip in 12 hours and the bead rider allowed me to make it with no heat related problems. The ventilation aspect of this pad makes it invaluable.

Gordon

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Hey Mark and all :)
Is there a chance one of you guys could post a pic of your 14x14 beadrider on your st13?
I'm short, and trying to see if a smaller size might be better on mine? Wondering how much it goes over the sides thus making the seat wider basically.

thanks! Regards,

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
thnx Sandman,
I just got mine put on. I'll include a pic too but nothing really diff then yours. How do you like it? I would say after just haing put it on and sat on it, I dont think it makes how well you touch the ground too terribly different, I can't say I notice any diff?

http://redst1300.home.comcast.net/beadseat.jpg

I think I'll certainly like it for trips, not sure if I'll keep it on all the time...

regards and thnx for the pics,

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The proof is in the riding. I didn't think it made much difference until that long day on the superslab last month. I've decided I'll keep it.

Gordon

Bike
2005 ST1300
ok, I have to ask those who have the beads on their ST1300's.

1) If I use the MCL highway blades, and put my feet up while making a sweeping turn, will I roll off the seat? (obviously my knees will not be against the tank)

2) Does it cause any issues with underside of thighs when stopped for long periods and sitting on the bike?

3) Has anyone wore theirs out to the point the string or beads failed?

Thanks in advance

I'm trying to avoid buying an entire new seat.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Question: I have a leather RDL. I also have a Bead Rider that I owned and used on a vinyl seat before I bought the RDL. The RDL is very very comfy but when the temps rise to 90-100 any seat will feel warm and some air would be refreshing.

So my question.....anyone else use the Bead Rider with a leather RDL for any length of time? Any issues with damage or permanent indentation from the beads?

BDonald

R.I.P. - 2014/10/15
Rest In Peace
Bike
'12 Wing
I have been using the same Bead Rider for the last 6 years and over 300,000 miles. The paint is wearing off but they still work.
I don't use them in the winter because the are a little airy. They are great in the rain because water doesn't collect in the seat, seems like the water drains out the side.

One million cab drivers can't be wrong.lol

OP
OP
Blrfl

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
So my question.....anyone else use the Bead Rider with a leather RDL for any length of time? Any issues with damage or permanent indentation from the beads?
I don't have the RDL, just the stock seat. The only persistent problem I have with the beads is accumulation of dirt around the areas where the beads touch the seat. The vinyl on the stock seat bounces back with no problem. Leather may very well get dimples if it's not treated well enough to keep moisture off the surface.

--Mark

8-BALL

GeriatricMutantNinja Norwegian
Bike
ST1300 - NT700
STOC #
Been using mine on a Corbin for a few years.... in HOT weather.

Rode that way to Spearfish a few years ago.... no damage from beads.

Converted a $2 car version from Goodwill.

Bike
2006 ST1300
That "Conversion" is what I want to do, but I am afraid if I take anything loose I will have beads everywhere. Looking locally for someone to show me the threading secret. I have heard that a person who does Macrame might know the secret.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
When I cut down a Wally World bead thingy I hot glued all the knots I tied. Didn't want to take any chances. FWIW I think a bead rider is one of the best mods you can do to a bike.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
A new seat cover that I recently bought and is absolutely the best I have ever used - It is called the Sit and Fly seat cover. Yes it is a funny name - constructed of a 3D mesh material that holds you off the seat and allows cool air to circulate. It is unbelievable in hot weather and distributes the load evenly over your behind. Great in rainy weather as well as water goes right through it.

See link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/122050016382?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
A new seat cover that I recently bought and is absolutely the best I have ever used - It is called the Sit and Fly seat cover. Yes it is a funny name - constructed of a 3D mesh material that holds you off the seat and allows cool air to circulate. It is unbelievable in hot weather and distributes the load evenly over your behind. Great in rainy weather as well as water goes right through it.

See link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/122050016382?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
What size for the 1100? How does it attach?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
It is very stretchy and simply covers the original seat much like a big elastic cap that conforms right around the shape of the seat. There is a velcro strap that goes under the seat to hold it on. I am not sure what size I have as I bought two of these and have them on my KLR and ST. I would send the mfg. an email to ask on sizing. There is a size chart at the bottom of the listing details that has basic dimensions.

Last edited:

8-BALL

GeriatricMutantNinja Norwegian
Bike
ST1300 - NT700
STOC #
Beads all over the garage floor... been there - done that. Second try - cut it open at one end, "drain" out the beads ya don't need, use square knots to tie the long plastic strings together, cut off the excess string.

Top Bottom