Tool Kit for ST1100

Sidney, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Bike
1994 st1100 ABS
STOC #
I'm planning on doing some long distance touring with my ST1100. My wife and I are heading south sometime this fall for a week for our first trip and work permitting she may fly home and I'll continue for another month. We will be using motels and camping.

I would like to know what others put in their tool kits with the exception of air compressor and tire plugs. (I'm going to start separate threads for tire repair kits and air compressors.) I ride an ST1100 in case anybody has specific advice for tools for that bike. I know these bikes are very reliable but I like being well prepared. I've always believed, "if you take it you won't need it, if you don't take it you'll need it!" However, space is at a premium with two up camping so I'm putting a lot of thought into this and looking for advice from experienced travelers. :bow1:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Re: Tool Kit for ST100

A Victorinox or Leatherman, a small 1/4" ratchet kit (one that includes bits for slotted & Philips bolts as well as the common allen sizes), the OEM toolkit (stuffed in the tailcone), set of spare sparkplugs, tire kit, a couple of zip-ties, 1~2ft of black and red wire, some luster terminals, cellphone (with charger!), 8" Netbook with UMTS stick (Inet access), the AAA membership, passports (you'll never know where you might and up...) and of course a MasterCard or equivalent...

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #

Do you have the stock tool kit? I take tools to remove either wheel, front or rear caliper, small needle nose pliers, fist full of ty-wraps (6" &12"), gaffer or duct tape (several feet if you can't take the whole roll), and some electrical tape. I roll all the tools up in a bathroom hand towel and tie the roll with an old boot lace. I have 2 flashlights with one handy in the tank bag or one of the console pockets. Check you insurance for towing. Spare set of keys easily accessable. Remember there are Walmarts all over the US and you are riding an ST1100. :D

Last edited:
Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #

The OEM tool kit is about all you need for 'on-road' repairs. Never have used mine @ 100K+ miles.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300

Yea - The stock tool kit is pretty complete for its compact size - Also, like a larger Phillips SD for that big SIDE PANEL screw. +1 on a Leatherman or Versatool. Also, SAE lead coming off battery, w/various 12V plugs & adapters = run compressor & charge electrics, or get/give a Jump. AT HOME, I have a GOLDWING tool kit in the hard plastic case - Use it all the time. Don't even break out the ST11 tools under the seat - so can't lose or misplace any of them - stays on bike ready to go! LOL

Bike
92 ST1100

Do you have the stock tool kit? I take tools to remove either wheel, front or rear caliper, small needle nose pliers, fist full of ty-wraps (6" &12"), gaffer or duct tape (several feet if you can't take the whole roll), and some electrical tape. I roll all the tools up in a bathroom hand towel and tie the roll with an old boot lace. I have 2 flashlights with one handy in the tank bag or one of the consoul pockets. Check you insurance for towing. Spare set of keys easily accessable. Remember there are Walmarts all over the US and you are riding an ST1100. :D
+1........towel thing works good and keeps things from rattling. BTW, FirstAidKit should be at TOP of list!

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #

John Oosterhuis has a COMPLETE photographic view of what he carries, but he could rebuild an 1100 on the side of the road!

I personally carry spare fuses, a leatherman, original tool kit, 5 and 6 mm t-handle allen wrenches, wire cutters/stripper, spare pieces of 14 and 16 gauge wire, electrical tape, posilocks, positaps, extra fuse holder, small roll of duct tape, 1/4 drive and 3/8 drive ratchet handles and 8,10, 12 mm sockets and many different bolts and screws for the windscreen, etc.

All the spare parts fit in a plano tackle holder about 1" X 6" X 18" I store them under a garden kneepad I cut to fit in my top box, so they are always there if I need them. (I did hit a really long patch of gravel road once that shook loose all but one of my windscreen screws!)

Also have a tire kit and inflator (Stop n' Go- best reviews and pretty compact).

I have never had to use anything yet - knock on wood!
Depending on your route, you can decide if you really need all this! If you'll be near civilization it might not be worth the space.

Have fun!

OP
OP
FWTBT
Sidney, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Bike
1994 st1100 ABS
STOC #

John Oosterhuis has a COMPLETE photographic view of what he carries, but he could rebuild an 1100 on the side of the road!

I personally carry spare fuses, a leatherman, original tool kit, 5 and 6 mm t-handle allen wrenches, wire cutters/stripper, spare pieces of 14 and 16 gauge wire, electrical tape, posilocks, positaps, extra fuse holder, small roll of duct tape, 1/4 drive and 3/8 drive ratchet handles and 8,10, 12 mm sockets and many different bolts and screws for the windscreen, etc.

All the spare parts fit in a plano tackle holder about 1" X 6" X 18" I store them under a garden kneepad I cut to fit in my top box, so they are always there if I need them. (I did hit a really long patch of gravel road once that shook loose all but one of my windscreen screws!)

Also have a tire kit and inflator (Stop n' Go- best reviews and pretty compact).

I have never had to use anything yet - knock on wood!
Depending on your route, you can decide if you really need all this! If you'll be near civilization it might not be worth the space.

Have fun!
Screws for the windscreen, wouldn't have thought of that. More for my list, thank you. I love that yellow on your st1100 by the way, very unique.

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #

Thanks, was hit once on my Suzuki GS850G - now I like to be visible! Might carry some zip ties too - I have one holding a corner of one of my front fairings right now!

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #

It looks like my factory tool kit but without knowing the sizes of everything, no way to know for sure. My kit does not have the black Allen wrenches in it but those could've been added to that kit by a previous owner.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300

Can anyone confirm that this is an ST1100 tool kit... http://forums.delphiforums.com/mctourer/messages?msg=55071.1

ST1100 Tool kit.jpeg

Thanks!
It isn't quite right. Plug wrench is wrong, missing the 8mm bone end. Check out the Partzilla site. Most of the tools are still available, including the bag if that's important. Add the missing/incorrect tools to the set shown. Many of the Honda tools were common to bikes of similar size.

Last edited:

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #

You didn't say if you have the standard tool kit. If you do, using it alone, go through the motions of removing both the front and rear wheels. If you don't have a tool you need, add it into your kit. Throw in some zip ties and a roll of electrical tape. Any more than that depends on your ability/knowledge/willingness to go deeper into the bike. For me any deeper than that and the credit card is the best tool.

Edit: Just realized this is a resurrected old post. I'm guessing the OP has already completed his trip. :D

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300

You didn't say if you have the standard tool kit. If you do, using it alone, go through the motions of removing both the front and rear wheels. If you don't have a tool you need, add it into your kit. Throw in some zip ties and a roll of electrical tape. Any more than that depends on your ability/knowledge/willingness to go deeper into the bike. For me any deeper than that and the credit card is the best tool.

Edit: Just realized this is a resurrected old post. I'm guessing the OP has already completed his trip. :D
Good suggestion...that's what I did. My 1991 came with only the shock adjusting tool and a ratty bag. I ordered the rest of the tools from partzilla, then used the kit when I removed the rear wheel and tupperware. Ended up adding two sizes of phillips, one was tiny for use on the plastic fairing screws. Added a cheapo 1/4" socket set (including allen heads) with the sockets pressed into a soft plastic holder, small pair of diagonal cutters, tiny vise grip for crimping wire connectors and a decent analog tire pressure gage. All of it fits under the seat in the original location.
Compact and functional are the keywords. Your expectations may be a bit different than mine.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I also carry a colored electrical schematic ( one of John O's color schematics ) and a small voltmeter to help troubleshoot those pesky electrical problems. I also carry a spare ignition module that I picked up ( cheap ) off eBay.

Top Bottom