New To Me Wee DL650!

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
This is all Randy's(Treemuncher) fault. He keeps sending me ads for DL 650's. If I was married he might be labeled as a trouble maker! A couple weeks ago he sent me a link to a Craig's List ad for a Wee located in Hopkinsville, KY. Price seemed very reasonable so I gave the owner a call. I couldn't go to look at the bike until after the July 4th long weekend and decided if it was still available I'd take a look at it. The bike was on consignment at a V-twin dealer and was not getting many looks there. I found out the asking price had dropped from $4500 to $3500 over the past few weeks. I had work scheduled in Clarksville last week and decided to go take a look at the bike. Long story short the bike ended up in my Ridgeline at a cost of $3300! The bike came with a Givi 46L top case, Nelson Riggs soft saddle bags, a new spare Avon distanzia, existing rear is 80%, spare front tire(going on this week) recent service with new chain and rear sprocket, extra set of brake pads, a new 16 tooth and 15 tooth front sprocket and some other little stuff. 28K well taken care of miles on the clock. I have had a great time riding this little bike around the past couple days and will be looking for some farkle advice from Randy, Joe, Danny, Chuck and anyone else that owns one of these jewels!:D

Attachments

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Wow, nice find... looks like it has a lot on it already... I would add a skid plate not just for doing off road stuff but event to deflect any road debris.

Congrats!

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Congrats on your Wee. What year is it? Looks to be a 2008? Silver with black wheels. Three things you will need if you plan on off/on road riding. 1st is an after market seat of your choosing. I have a Rick Mayer and I like it alot. Everybodys butt is different. 2nd is a Madstad windshield bracket. It will cure the buffiting with the STock shield. Works good. and Third if you are going to try and keep up with Randy (TreeMuncher) some kind of bash plate under the motor. I bought all my STuff from Happy Trails and was very pleased with the price and customer service. The Wee is a great bike for the twisties.

Last edited:

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
I'll second Joe's advise about a skid plate. I was nervous about the oil cooler and filter being down and in front of the engine.
I also added a Madstad adjustable windshield bracket.

Steve :04biker:

Bike
2006 ST1300
I think therapists call that "enabling". :D If you were married either that would change, or you wouldn't be allowed to play with your trouble-maker friends like Randy! Congrats, I'd love to add one to my stable for local riding!

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
Nice Fali! A great second bike and a good deal too. I hope you enjoy it! I looked Joe's (Mellow) at GaSTOC and really liked it.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
RANDY,,,boy with friends like that,,,right??:) Congrats Fali, enjoy.

OP
OP
Indian Express
Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Thanks for the tips. I'd like to install a fuse block, PC 8 from Eastern Beaver, and probably grip heaters down the road. Any pics of fuse block location and where you tapped for switched options?
I would also like to replace the anemic horn with something a lot louder.
Thanks!

Bike
Dl 1000, ST1100
Nice find, looks like it has already earned some Dragon tats. Now you have a cold weather ride and a hot weather ride. :mcrider:

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Nice Fali! Once you start riding a lighter bike the ST will see fewer and fewer miles. Can't wait to see it.
Mike

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Thanks for the tips. I'd like to install a fuse block, PC 8 from Eastern Beaver, and probably grip heaters down the road. Any pics of fuse block location and where you tapped for switched options?
I would also like to replace the anemic horn with something a lot louder.
Thanks!
I have the eastern Beaver fuse block and relay. Attached is a picture of my install location. Also have heated grips and the power take off is a switched connector behind the radiator. This is the factory place for the factory heated grips. Eastern beaver also has the plug and play cabling for that in different lengths. Buy a set of fiamm knock off horns at harbor freight for 10 bucks, and make longer more sturdy brackets for them and mount them up under the front fairing. Use the factory horn wires to power the new horn relay. See pictures.

PS. EB sells the fuse block with its own relay and the ability to have switched and unswitched picked off the battery.

Or you could just come to COSTOC and I will show you all this STuff in person.:D

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300 '08
had one, liked it a lot, so trust me on this cheap mod: FORK BRACE. it makes a giant improvement on those spindly long front legs! you will notice it in the wind especially and as has been said, the Madstad is a good idea too. Teflon spray on the chain (waxy kind). Good to go. Looks like you got a fabulous deal!

OP
OP
Indian Express
Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I have the eastern Beaver fuse block and relay. Attached is a picture of my install location. Also have heated grips and the power take off is a switched connector behind the radiator. This is the factory place for the factory heated grips. Eastern beaver also has the plug and play cabling for that in different lengths. Buy a set of fiamm knock off horns at harbor freight for 10 bucks, and make longer more sturdy brackets for them and mount them up under the front fairing. Use the factory horn wires to power the new horn relay.

PS. EB sells the fuse block with its own relay and the ability to have switched and unswitched picked off the battery.

Or you could just come to COSTOC and I will show you all this STuff in person.:D
Thanks Chuck! That is exactly what I was looking for.
CoSTOC sounds great but I have to use my leave to visit my Mom in India this Sept. one of these days I'll make it there.

Bike
99 ST1100
Congrats, Fali!

That's a great bike for sooo many roads around here.

Now you have two bikes (and a forehand) while I have none...that hardly seems fair.

Ride safe and have fun!

Bart

Top Bottom