Engine failure 'cause of an accident

Bike
ST1100AN
Few weeks ago I crashed a bit, my right engine guard hit the road literally. Now coolants and engine oil are mixing, coolant is flowing to the oil bottom. I have a "new" engine and I'm going to change it soon but how iI can check is the frame damaged or not? And if the frame is not straight will it cause damages to the new engine if I bolt it on? Anyone faced same problem?

Thanks, Lauri.

Bike
1994 ST1100
Whether the bike frame is bent or not should not affect that oil mixes with coolant. Something must've happen within the engine like head gasket etc...

Mark

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I think the question is, will a bent frame effect the NEW engine? And it's a good question. Never heard of a get-off causing such a problem, you must have hit pretty hard. My black 91 suffered a horrendous high side (onto the left side) without any major damage beyond the plastic and front sub-frame and went an additional 130,000 miles with the original engine before a crack developed behind #3 cylinder which let the coolant OUT (not into the oil/crankcase.)

Best bet will be to pull the engine, watching for misalignment as ya pull the long bolts. And, of course, when putting in the "new" one. There is an adjustable frame link on the lower left side. Mark it closely before removal so you can check to see if it all goes back together per original. And, do keep us poSTed on your progress.

BTW, we know of more than a dozen cases of the #3 cylinder external crack. I've never heard of an ST leaking the same way as yours. Anyone else?

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
So, as a guess, the engine guard hit an *immovable* object while the bike was sliding and poked through the engine?
I'm glad you're writing about it!!!

As George notes; I'd watch closely for any flexing as you unbolt the damaged engine.
I'd also start watching fleabay for a frame; they are not expensive (at least over here) because few of them are ever needed.

Good luck!
Mark

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Ya, I just saw a frame on EBay a day or two ago for about $150.

I love these ST1100's - plenty of cheap used parts available. I picked up an ignition module, and clutch slave for spares at the same time I saw the frame. I'll carry the ignition module in my top case, just to be on the safe side.

Top Bottom