Handling issues on ST1100 with Givi top box

Bike
st 1100
Hi wondering if anybody has experienced handling issues with top box on? I wont say it's like night and day but handling definately gets a bit weavy more on the back end even with pretty much empty box. I am currently running standard shocks/springs etc and Bridgestone 023s And feels very much better without top box. Any thoughts on this gratefully welcomed Thanks Gareth

sofawizard

andy
Bike
st1100 a
hi gareth my pans the same gets a wee bit iffy with the givi maxima on there I think its turbulence infront of the box that's to blame seems fine if theres something inbetween you and the box

Bike
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
I had the same problem, so I sold my box. Afterward I discovered several other things that were the real cause. My problems were tire and suspension related. Once I got everything sorted out I wished I hadn't sold my top box.

First, make sure your suspension is working properly and serviced. Second, make sure your tires are mounted and inflated correctly. Third, make sure your suspension is adjusted correctly.

My bike had problems in all three areas.

Duke

Bike
92 ST1100
Hi wondering if anybody has experienced handling issues with top box on? I wont say it's like night and day but handling definately gets a bit weavy more on the back end even with pretty much empty box. I am currently running standard shocks/springs etc and Bridgestone 023s And feels very much better without top box. Any thoughts on this gratefully welcomed Thanks Gareth
I have the largest Givi tail trunk on my 92' and it's never created a riding issue, even at the 'ton' plus 30. Only time I may have attributed any handleing adverities is riding in REALLY hard blowing/gusting cross-winds, which move you and bike around a bit anyways. Tail trunk should not create a handling issue unless there's excessive weight in it, which up that high should be avoided anyways.

DonMac

My backyard
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I've got exactly the same setup you've got and have no problems, wind or not. Running the BT023's at 42 lbs. front and rear.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I've used a lot of different tires and they don't seem to make a difference in the handling with or without the topbox.

However: I put a HyperPro shock/spring on the back and heavier springs and heavier oil in the front.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
When I had my '95, I rode with and without a 52L Givi, for over 100,000 miles and never felt any difference. I had a Progressive Suspension rear shock.

Bill

Bike
1994 ST1100
I also have the biggest Givi Maxima and have no problems whatsoever. I did have stability and "riding on mud" like issues, but I've fixed suspension front and rear ( progressive suspension ) and it all good now. Higher speeds or cross winds it's always good.

Mark

Bike
2006 ST1300
Although mine is a 1300 I have a Shad that has been on the bike for every mile ridden for two seasons. After reading several stories of poor handling caused by top boxes I removed mine for a 1500 mile round trip ride to PA. I noticed no difference, and I saw extended speeds of 80+ mph. I did a couple quick blasts much higher than that and still no change. I put the box back on as soon as I got home.

I had an 1100 that I rode with and without an E36 Givi and I never saw any change.

OP
OP
Bike
st 1100
Thanks guys for all the input, i am totally happy with the tyres i use but maybe the rear shock and or the front springs are a little tired. will pursue that angle for the moment or just leave top box off? lol

Bike
2005 ST1300
I have the GIVI 46 & stock everything else. I do notice a bit of a lighter feeling front end and minor weave when the box is on 1 up. Especially in "dirty air" on the interstate. The box also "jiggles" a lot front to back.

2 up I do not feel it.

I just recently did a 3000 mile ride to Colorado 1 up and had a carry on type bag sitting on the pillion seat anchored rearward putting pressure on the GIVI. No issues, not even in windy conditions (other than the normal wind issues). Box did not jiggle.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Hi wondering if anybody has experienced handling issues with top box on? I wont say it's like night and day but handling definately gets a bit weavy more on the back end even with pretty much empty box.
I'd say any change of payload requires proper adjustments on the rear shock. Dunno the net weight of a Givi, but a top-case sits high behind the rear axle, thus its masses/presence will get noticeable. If you run the OEM rear shock I'd follow the settings as given here: http://www.pan-europe.utvinternet.ie/owners_manual/major_components.htm I always ran #2 & 90? when solo, but switched to #3 & 180~270? when solo with some payload

Bike
1994 ST1100
Thanks guys for all the input, i am totally happy with the tyres i use but maybe the rear shock and or the front springs are a little tired. will pursue that angle for the moment or just leave top box off? lol
If its that bad that you feel unsafe, take it off. Otherwise I'd keep it on. I did with all the cases on with bad suspension, got use to it and after I fixed front and rear suspension the ride was that much better. I never took it of since I have my bike and the top box carries rather heavy backpack and sometimes tools daily on my commute, many times in heavy traffic.

Mark

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
I have a Givi E50 top box, and find that there's a slight disturbance, especially when following other vehicles. But it's not enough to concern me.

BTW, I only put on the box when the wife is onboard or when I need more storage space, i.e. travelling.

Mr. BR

Just a local commuter...
Bike
'05 Yam FJR1300
I've got some sort of Givi box on my '95 and I don't think I've ever ridden the bike with it off? I commute daily and it holds my laptop to/from work with no weaves or other issues at all so far. Mostly just freeway speeds and the occasional dash to something faster (ran it to nearly redline in 4th the other day getting on the freeway...... early AM and no traffic, again, no problems). Suspension is stock but a fork oil change and possibly a Progressive 465 rear shock might be in my future.
Mr. BR

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I used to have a similar issue when I'd bolt a luggage rack on the back of mine and throw a few items on the rack. I had a relatively new Works shock at the time, tried all kinds of different preload settings, and it never made much difference in removing the weaving. I came from a sportbike to the ST so I had my forks preloaded a bit more than stock, and heavier oil, so the front wasn't as plush as a stock ST. My front ride height was a bit higher than you'd have with the stock fork setup, and my shock was tuned to 'sport' stiffness. I'm also about 175lbs FWIW. It seemed like many STs had that issue, and others did not, but the cause of the weaving was never revealed to me. Since I don't ride with the rack very often anyway I stopped thinking about it years ago.

OP
OP
Bike
st 1100
Well after much heel dragging and generl loafing i finally fitted new hyperpro front springs and oil with new seals, BIGGGG difference, ok so it took failing the MOT to get me in there lol but wow what a difference

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I have a 2002 1100 and a 52l Maxia. No handling issues I've noticed, which is great since I'm addicted to the space it provides and couldn't live without it.

Top Bottom