Hydration

Bike
2005 ST1300
Having recently returned from the IBR I have a renewed interest in hydration. I saw some bikes that had some sort of Coleman type personal cooler mounted on the passenger footpeg. They had a tube coming out the top and I am not sure how it was sealed. Anyone have one who could tell me how to rig it up?

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
Yep, that's what I want but I would prefer to build it myself than to purchase. It can't be that hard. I have found bite valves but I'm still foggy on the plumbing that connects to the cooler lid.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
It is easier than you think.

It is just some tubing that you can likely pick up in bulk from any hardware store. Drill a hole in the top of the cooler with whatever size hole you need to fit the tubing through. Shove the tubing through the hole far enough so it reaches the bottom and put something on the hose on the inside of the cooler cap to keep the hose from pulling out. If you can't find anything rubber, you could just put a stainless steel hose clamp on it. Just need something on the inside of the cooler to hold the hose in there. The plumbing is the easiest part. Mounting it is the hardest which is where his kit is nice. Not impossible but way harder than drilling a hole and stuffing a hose though said hole.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
In his case he did it a little different. You can see the straw in that goes through the cap with a rubber grommet. At the top of the straw he has a 90 deg fitting with a barb that fits the hose which runs to the bite tip.

P1010885.jpg

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I have Gary's system he will make it in a Gallon size or the smaller one I gues its 2 quarts. His is really well made powder coated and has a good latch.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Having recently returned from the IBR I have a renewed interest in hydration. I saw some bikes that had some sort of Coleman type personal cooler mounted on the passenger footpeg. They had a tube coming out the top and I am not sure how it was sealed. Anyone have one who could tell me how to rig it up?

Here's 5 quart hydration system I built for my ST1100 but it will work on the ST1300 as it's not bike specific:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?63619-Mick-s-Hillbilly-Hydration-System

The system Sennister linked to looks great but it looks like it would have a tendency to get in the way when getting on or off the bike. One thing I do like about his though is that it is mounted where it will keep the weight down low. The system I used on the other hand, sits on the rear seat so it probably adds a little bit to the top heaviness of the ST. Offsetting that potential downside though is that it can be easily removed when not on the road by simply unhooking the bungies.

Here's a pic of me on the road with the the system on my ST1100. It worked absolutely great:

As to cost, the first link above shows that I paid $26 for all the parts in 2009.

Last edited:

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
The nice thing about the foot peg system is that it leaves the seat open to pack gear on. I'm mounting mine on the kickstand side of the bike so that it will be easier to miss with my leg.

Sent from my RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I have the "Garauld" system that Sennister referenced.

I mount it on the left side so I don't kick it getting on or off and the drink tube is on my left side. I route the hose under the lower edge of my seat where its out of sight and protected. Then the hose curls up to a retractable belt / key clip thats clipped on my tank bag, right there at my left hand.

Works like a charm.

Top Bottom