Boiling gas on ST1300

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
I have a concern some of you may help me with...Have been having some really hot weather here in Ohio...Yesterday after returning from about a 100 mi. ride I pulled into garage and dismounted..I heard some gurgling sounds coming from the tank and some strong fumes...I opened the tank cap and observed the gas boiling...This has happened before under extremely hot conditions....Has anyone else experienced this and is it a concern?...Yes the heat shield under the tank is intact...Thanks in advance for any help or answers....Bill

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
That is normal, it is just the gas returning from the fuel pump. Don't worry just get out and ride that ST 1300.

OP
OP
saddletramp8511

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
Whew thanks guys thought I might be riding a WMD there for a while....Bill

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use the Chevron Dino. Been using it for a year and a half now. Was using top of the line synthetic and cooking my legs when riding.
I really haven't noticed a big difference in the Golden Spectro and the Delo in heat or performance. Where I have seen the difference is in the cost! $40 per gal/4ltrs VS $35 for Three gallons!

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I really haven't noticed a big difference in the Golden Spectro and the Delo in heat or performance. Where I have seen the difference is in the cost! $40 per gal/4ltrs VS $35 for Three gallons!
When I first bought the bike I couldn't ride it unless I had full riding gear and boots or I would get 1st degree burns on my legs from the air passing over my ankles. Not that I do... But I can ride in shorts and sandals now if I want to.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I first bought the bike I couldn't ride it unless I had full riding gear and boots or I would get 1st degree burns on my legs from the air passing over my ankles. Not that I do... But I can ride in shorts and sandals now if I want to.
Hum...I did use some chaps when I first bought the '05 ST1300. I found it was a great heat deflector, since I never felt any heat (even riding in 115F for over an hour and a half once) until I got the TourMaster Flex pants with the removable shells. Now I feel the heat on real hot days! But it's not like it would burn or anything.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Hum...I did use some chaps when I first bought the '05 ST1300. I found it was a great heat deflector, since I never felt any heat (even riding in 115F for over an hour and a half once) until I got the TourMaster Flex pants with the removable shells. Now I feel the heat on real hot days! But it's not like it would burn or anything.
I spent a good amount of my medium distance rides in 85 degree weather waving my legs around in the air to keep them cooled off until I switch from Royal Purple to DELO.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I spent a good amount of my medium distance rides in 85 degree weather waving my legs around in the air to keep them cooled off until I switch from Royal Purple to DELO.
Wow! never had that problem with the Golden Spectro...:eek:4:

Bike
2003 ST1300
This post is old but I thought I'd see if I could get more information from you. I just bought an "03" ST and since the weather has turned hotter I've developed a big vacuum in my gas tank and I was wondering if you experienced the same thing? A couple of times it was hard to get the tank open to put gas in. I heard the gurgling sound once when the tank was low. I just had it at the shop and they said my lines were all good with no kinks...

Thanks for any information you can pass on...

If you have a vacuum in your gas tank, your vent tube is plugged. I had a similar problem last year. I live in an area where there are plenty of dirt daubers and they nested in my vent tube. I discovered it somewhere in Texas, where I stopped and attempted to clear the obstruction, but was unable to do so. I ended up raising the tank, locating the vent line and cutting it off above the obstruction. I replaced the line after I got back home and zip tied some screen over the ends of my gas overflow and air vent tubes. Those are the two tubes that dangle towards the road under your bike... the smaller of the tubes is your air vent. You might possibly run some wire up the tube to clear the obstruction. Do something about it very soon as it will put a strain on your fuel pump and might possibly deform your fuel tank.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Thanks for the information. The shop said they found a kink in it and road it for 5 miles with no build-up. After I got home I opened the tank and I still had it. I'll try your suggestion and see what happens...

Top Bottom