Boiling gas on ST1300

Bike
2003 ST1300
Okay, found the vent hose at under the bike. There was a little dirt at the end of the hose but nothing that would have caused it to plug. Cleaned it out and took compressed air to it both directions. Clear as can be. I got air at the vent hole in the tank and from the tank through the line underneath. I'll find out tomorrow on my ride to work if that helped. Any other suggestions if I'm still getting vacuum? I would expect maybe a little when the tank is low and it's hot out. But just sitting in the garage is a bit much...

Thanks again for the info...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Okay, found the vent hose at under the bike. There was a little dirt at the end of the hose but nothing that would have caused it to plug. Cleaned it out and took compressed air to it both directions. Clear as can be. I got air at the vent hole in the tank and from the tank through the line underneath. I'll find out tomorrow on my ride to work if that helped. Any other suggestions if I'm still getting vacuum? I would expect maybe a little when the tank is low and it's hot out. But just sitting in the garage is a bit much...

Thanks again for the info...
I wonder if you simply have a sticking gas cap which is fairly common. A sticky gas cap might seem like a vacuum holding it shut. The "boiling" noises are normal to my bike.

Bike
2003 ST1300
The last time I filled up with gas I could see the tank expand when I opened the cap and you can hear the air rush in. Haven't been able to ride today but have checked it a couple of times and so far there hasn't been any vacuum where normally it would be there. But it's been very cool today Keeping my fingers crossed. Especially tomorrow when it's 95 degrees and I'm riding home from work...

Shouldn't the ST vent to the charcoal canister ?
It does vent to the charcoal canister... I forgot to mention that after I got home I replaced the line from the canister that runs under the bike... cutting the tube under the tank was a temporary measure just to get it home. Sorry that it slipped my mind (it ain't what it used to be)...

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Shouldn't the ST vent to the charcoal canister ?
Yes.. it does.

If you are hearing a gurgling sound... it is probably fuel draining from top to bottom tank.
But...
I've developed a big vacuum in my gas tank
This has nothing to do with boiling gas, then you'd have positive pressure not a vacuum.
Start a new thread and you'll get more response.

Bike
ST1300
Hi everyone,
We are using three ST 1300 and one in particular have a "boiling fuel" problem. Sometimes when opening the tank for refuelling, it will release a lot of pressure. This resulted in the tank to have dents on both sides as if it expanded and shrinked. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the damage. Is this possible? Does the fuel tank have a pressure releasing outlet? Did this happen to anyone else?

Top Bottom