1 year review of Honda NC700X

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
One year ago tomorrow I purchased my NC700X and I am sitting here thinking about how fast the year has gone by. I have 17,045 miles on it now and love the bike. I keep pretty good records (hush up Dinkie) and have ridden the 700 about 8000 miles in 2013 and my ST1300 about 5000. I have owned the ST 7 years and every year rode it 2 or 3 times as far compared to my second bike but that is not the case so far with the NC. I have made three trips to the mountains in the year of NC ownership and all on the NC - 16 days away from home touring on the NC and none on the ST. It's been to 7 states with many days over 400 miles, some 500+ mile days, and one 1000+ mile day. For comfort mods I changed the windshield, added heated grips and hand guards, and raised the front of the stock seat about 5/8". The seating position is very comfortable and riding out a tank of gas or 2 - 3 hours in the saddle are no problem. I started out with just a 46 liter Givi topbox and later added pannier racks and 36 liter panniers. Wind protection with a half-faired bike is adequate to tour and wind blast and buffeting are no problem to triple digit speeds. There is no vibration to speak of in the grips, seat, mirrors, or pegs. It handles so nimble and sweet and is a blast in the twisties. I have no regrets at all about buying this bike. It's fun to ride and has been very economical to purchase and maintain. It is hard to categorize (utility bike, commuter, Saturday sport ride, light tourer, grocery getter) as it has done everything well I have asked of it. 1 year ago I did not expect to have a lightweight touring bike in it and it has done that well. It does hard pack and gravel roads well and as long as my adventure riding is not too adventurous it does that just fine. The locking storage compartment is fantastic and I miss it on the ST now. 21 liters of waterproof locking storage always there has ruined me for textile tank bags. That is a jug of milk, a bottle of wine, a roll of paper towels and a nice sized cantaloupe with room left for raingear and a 12v air compressor. At 472 lbs it is 250 lbs lighter than the ST1300 and the center of mass is low and concentrated and so it feels even lighter. It's a bike for a 6 mile ride to the grocery store or a 600 mile trip.

So far there have been no warranty or maintenance issues. I did have to replace the original chain at what I considered a too-early 8000 miles but that was my fault as I over-cleaned the chain at every opportunity. At 8000 miles I was too cheap to replace the sprockets with the new cheap chain I bought even though I was told to and paid the price by having to buy another chain and the sprockets last week at 16,900 miles. I bit the bullet and bought a good quality DID chain this time and new OEM sprockets so I hope I learned this lesson. I've done two 8,000 mile valve checks - a breeze with no plastic to remove and screw and locknut adjusters to check.

Of course the fuel mileage has been very good. The low was 45 mpg riding 155 miles into a stiff headwind at 80-85 steady mph. The high has been 94.5 mpg and I have been averaging about 68 on Fuelly. Carrying all my gear on a 8 day camping trip to WV I think I averaged 68 mpg over 2,400 miles with 2 interstate days of 70-85 mph included. I estimated riding the ST on this same trip would have cost $105 more in fuel costs. The tank range is 175 to 250 miles depending. One day on the last trip I compared notes with a WeeStrom owner that was proud of the highest-ever 62 mpg he achieved on the BRP and "I get low 50s all the time". I got 78 on a 90 mile BRP section from Buchanan, VA to Willville MC Camp riding the same pace. Its hard to describe sometimes to people that is doesn't seem to matter how hard you twist the throttle it always returns good numbers and you don't have to ride it easy or *****foot it to get good mileage. If you keep it between 40 and 70 mph you get 60 to 70 mpg. Ride it over 70 mph and you get 60s. Ride it over 80 and you get 50s. Go faster or throw in a headwind and you get 40s. Thrash it in the mountains and it still gets over 70 mpg like when I rode with a bunch of STs at the last Blue Ridge Gathering. I can see keeping this bike a long time. It's easy to live with.

Day 1:

Day 338:

Last edited:
Bike
2009 Wee Strom
I was fascinated with this bike. LOVE the storage in the "gas tank". Love the idea of great gas mileage. And I love the idea that it doesn't rev high. I tend to short-shift often anyway (although lately, I've been toying around with my new to me ST, but then again that might just be because it's new to me).

Good bike. And for it's designed use, commuting, it really can't be beat IMO. Has some close competitors, but it's hard to argue with numbers with the fuel mileage, initial cost, and available storage.

Good to see a long term update on it. Thank you.

Alexi

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Excellent update. I'm rather dying to ride one, but I would hate to want one.

Do you never have a bag in the back seat when touring? You didn't mention any inconvenience with the gas filler cap.
I didn't mention it because it hasn't been any inconvenience and I guess I forgot about it. I have toured with a bag on the seat - two of the three trips this dry bag was there and how I secured it was with two Rok Straps:

At a gas stop two clicks disconnect the bag and I set it on top of the top box to keep it off the ground. I fill up then click-click the strap connectors and the bag is back in place and I ride off. In use it is rather like a tank bag that covers a conventional gas filler and who is inconvenienced about having to move a tank bag to fill up? On these rides with the bag on the seat I was only traveling one day and about 500 miles. That was two gas stops to destination then the bag and top box come off while I ride roads at the destination area. Then 1 day home so it is not like every time I get gas I have to move it. It's simply not there 99% of the time. In exchange I get that 21 liters of locking storage 100% of the time I ride it so the trade off is much greater than any minor inconvenience. Some NC owners have altered the rear seat to leave the filler accessible all the time and at least one has fabricated a fuel cell that sits in place of the pillion seat and moves the fill on top of the auxiliary tank.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I finally had the opportunity for a test ride on an NC700, at WeSTOC. I liked the frunk, the riding position and overall handling, but not the motor...not even a little. If I commuted on a motorcycle I'd still want to enjoy riding the motorcycle and there are others in the category I'm sure I'd enjoy more. I hope this approach isn't the future of Honda motors. My $.02

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Great read Dave! Didn't know what I didn't know;). Glad you've found a new love. Riding it to the blue ridge this year?

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I finally had the opportunity for a test ride on an NC700, at WeSTOC. I liked the frunk, the riding position and overall handling, but not the motor...not even a little. If I commuted on a motorcycle I'd still want to enjoy riding the motorcycle and there are others in the category I'm sure I'd enjoy more. I hope this approach isn't the future of Honda motors. My $.02

I am curious what you didn't like about the motor?

Dave, Have you ever ridden a V-strom 650? Just wondering if you can make any comparisons. I own a vstrom but am a Honda guy at heart and would love one of these in my stable some day.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Bones, I'm thinkin (I know, that's scary :D) your dis-satisfation with the engine and/or gearing might be the reason DDuelin is getting such good gas mileage. I also have an 08 Versys and I love the engine and bike as a whole, I can tour long distance on it comfortably, nearly as well as my ST. I can't come close to the NC fuel economy. I would love to try out the NC when I get the opportunity. I need to stuff a third bike in my little garage.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I wanted one of these but like Bones, the motor just didn't do it for me. Lower revving so you have to change gears sooner... I love the 10k redline on the vstrom as I love to rev a bike engine. It just didn't feel right to me. The difference is the mileage numbers as a lower revving motor is more efficient.

It's just a little different animal. You may love it or not, just gotta take one for a spin and see what you think.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Dave, Have you ever ridden a V-strom 650? Just wondering if you can make any comparisons. I own a vstrom but am a Honda guy at heart and would love one of these in my stable some day.
I was looking at 650s for a while with an eye toward replacing the aging BMW R100 I had at the time. I knew a modern 650 would give similar performance - mid 50s rear wheel hp, mid 400 lb weight, with modern brakes and handling. I rode three Kawasakis I was interested in (Versys, faired 650R, and the naked version of the 650 maybe it was the Er-N) and the parallel twin 800cc version of the BMW 650. G650 or F650 I can't remember. The BMW was a buzz box and completely different in character from the low revving pleasantly throbbing boxer motor in the R100. The motor ruined the new BMW for me. The coarseness of the Kawasaki motor put me off in the same way. It vibrated way too much from what I was used to and what is worse the ones I rode vibrated the worse between 4500 and 5500 or 6000 rpm which was between 55 and 70 or so. I tried to like the Versys and went back to ride it two more times. The VeeStrom never appealed to me as the first version looked so strange to my eye. Still, because it is so popular and there is a thriving community of owners that love them I felt obligated to try it after I bought the NC700X just for a comparison. I rode the newer model twice and while it had the sweet motor the others didn't the seat height and top heavy feel of this bike were negatives for me. I have a 29" inseam. I rode a Adventure ABS and a standard version of the Wee. Sorry I can't offer more than these limited observations.

More so than most perhaps I was predisposed toward liking the NC700 motor. It's low revving nature and demeanor is close to that of my R100. The R100 had a redline of 7000 and because the torque curve was so flat nothing much is gained from revving past 6000 rpm except more noise and vibration. The 980cc boxer lends itself to short shifting and that is how you ride them. On the other hand, the NC700 motor revs up so quickly the low 6500 rpm redline surprises you in the lower gears until you learn to shift it which I was already used to. The nature of vibration from an airhead boxer is a low frequency pulsing as opposed to a tingling buzz common to inline twins and fours. Honda's use of a 270 degree crankshaft and single counterbalancer shaft in the 670cc motor gives it a pulsing throb like I was used to. It fit my expectations.

Thanks Dave! Appreciate the explanation about the tank. I don't see how having a bag back there is similar to the inconvenience of a tank bag though, as a tank bag is light and easy to remove/put back on and you don't have to get off the bike to refuel. Having said that, I totally get that the front storage is worth the hassle. You're right, how much of your riding time is spent with a bag back there? Might do some research to see what modifications other owners are doing to the seat/filler location.

Seems the motor is the polarizing factor. No surprise there! I can't comment as I haven't ridden it.
Well, I have experience with tank bags and seat bags and I share it as I see it. At any rate, adding the panniers completely eliminate any perceived inconvenience. The motor is definitely in the love or or hate category. It plows a different furrow in this class.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I actually love the tank/trunk idea... most riders add saddlebags or a truck for those small items they want in a lockable solution so for a commuter this makes a ton of sense to me.

As a tourer, Dave's quick-snap application works great as he has a truck so the gear he may have previously put in a larger bag on the rear seat, if any, could go in the top box now. It's just a slight change to the management of luggage and not that big of a deal to me. I'm surprised someone hasn't already designed a replacement rear seat with cutout/door or some other item but maybe they're waiting on seeing just how popular the bike becomes before the numbers translate into a bigger than niche market.

I do think it's a great bike, but you just have to ride one to see if it works for you, the styling and fit-finish impressed me from the moment I stood next to one.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
It felt lumpy to me. I didn't like short shifting and when I let it rev a bit it the motor wasn't happy. Not saying the motor isn't good for its intended purpose, just that it's not my cup of tea.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks again Dave, I hope you didn't take my tank bag comment as argumentative! Didn't mean it that way.
No, Smash not at all. I regret not being able to pull Natstock together this year and meeting you and Karla in person.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Short shifting? If you think the NC700X shift point is low you should try a Suzuki C50. I had to shift gears just to make it across a normal intersection. The NC is still relatively new but I'm sure people are already experimenting with different gearing (sprocket size) which is easy to do with a chain drive.

Bike
2009 Wee Strom
Short shifting? If you think the NC700X shift point is low you should try a Suzuki C50. I had to shift gears just to make it across a normal intersection. The NC is still relatively new but I'm sure people are already experimenting with different gearing (sprocket size) which is easy to do with a chain drive.
+1. My first bike (learner bike) was a Suzuki C50T. Couldn't make a left turn in first gear, had to shift to second just to make it through a normal left turn from a stoplight. And no top roll-on power at all.

Then again, it's a heavy bike, with not a huge engine. I will say though, it was great to learn on. HUGE tipover bars helped me in parking lot practice and I got comfortable riding.

Alexi

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I love my NC! I can take it out and flog it or put around town with ease. Dave's assessment is spot on.

I have removed the pillion vinyl and pad and cut a hole in the seat pan to access the filler cap with a bag mounted to the seat. Having the filler under the seat always bothered me. I have a rack instead of a top case and just purchased Twisted Throttle D66 dry bags. One will go on the rack and one will go on the seat. Also, there is room under the rack to lash my tent or Kermit chair.

The trunk is great but mine is always full of stuff I used to keep in the panniers. Very handy, the trunk.

My best tank of gas was 76.8 mpg returned from a 189 mile trip through the Ozarks. It's costing me around $.05/mile on fuel. Love it.
Mike

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
I also have an NC700x, riding 2200 miles on it in the past year. I guess my biggest complaint about the bike is the seat. My butt starts aching after about 30-45 minutes. I haven't ridden the bike more than 3 or 4 hours at a time. Maybe raising the front of the seat makes a difference. I haven't tried it. I bought a CalSci Extra large windshield and put a rack on it, and currently am using soft saddlebags. I think the motor is not as smooth as it could have been if it had a 360 degree crank, but it has a 270 degree crank, which gives it a V-twin like sound. Personally I like the smoothness of the ST1100, so I think Honda goofed on this one.

My daughter and I went on a three day ride on the BRP and the Tail of the Dragon a couple of weeks ago, me riding my ST1100 and my daughter riding her 1985 Virago 700. I got a workout slinging the big bike around on the twisties. I would have liked trying the NCX out on the twisties, but for highway riding, the ST1100 is hard to beat. I really enjoy the Rostra Cruise Control on the ST. I think in the last year I have ridden 4000 miles on the ST.

I have the NC700X, Also Silver, It is a great bike Like most bikes i made some changes, I changed the seat, to a much more comfortable seat and a Madstad Positive pressure windshield, bar risers, power port.

2013 Honda NC700X 2k, AVG MPG so far is 77.68mpg But i have been as high as 84mpg without trying too hard.

It is a very comfortable bike that just does everything right, i will be keeping it for a Lot of miles.

I traded in a 09' Vstrom 1000 that had about 4k miles on it.

Speed is not everything, not to me anyway

Top Bottom