1 year review of Honda NC700X

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
I also don't give the fuel fill location a seconded thought. With bags and trunk and frunk, there is never anything on my seat. And if there is by some odd chance, it's easy to move.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I solved the perceived fuel fill problem with a nice powder coated rack with a hole in it so I don't have to remove my bags at all when fuelling. You can remove with three bolts and throw the pillion seat back on in less than three minutes. Problem solved. I mounted a Rotopax attachment to mine so I can carry extra fuel or water.
Mike

Bike
2005 ST1300
I solved the perceived fuel fill problem with a nice powder coated rack with a hole in it so I don't have to remove my bags at all when fuelling. You can remove with three bolts and throw the pillion seat back on in less than three minutes. Problem solved. I mounted a Rotopax attachment to mine so I can carry extra fuel or water.
Mike
Where's the pictures?

Bike
2006 ST
Some said "Low revving engine". Probably a major factor is that( rare in these days )the engine is under square, in a world of grossly over squared engines , Honda does this. Cool. All British bikes back in the day were all under square, Triumph more so that the "High revving BSA". :crackup
I liked the riding position when I sat on the NC700X.:)

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
Some said "Low revving engine". Probably a major factor is that( rare in these days )the engine is under square, in a world of grossly over squared engines , Honda does this. Cool. All British bikes back in the day were all under square, Triumph more so that the "High revving BSA". :crackup
I liked the riding position when I sat on the NC700X.:)
It is a under square engine. The reason that it does not rev to the moon is because past 6500 there is no benefit. The engine was designed for midrange torque. Hp and tq are dropping fast by 6500. Pushing it past that would be useless.

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
One year ago tomorrow I purchased my NC700X and I am sitting here thinking about how fast the year has gone by. I have 17,045 miles on it now and love the bike. I keep pretty good records (hush up Dinkie) and have ridden the 700 about 8000 miles in 2013 and my ST1300 about 5000. I have owned the ST 7 years and every year rode it 2 or 3 times as far compared to my second bike but that is not the case so far with the NC. I have made three trips to the mountains in the year of NC ownership and all on the NC - 16 days away from home touring on the NC and none on the ST. It's been to 7 states with many days over 400 miles, some 500+ mile days, and one 1000+ mile day. For comfort mods I changed the windshield, added heated grips and hand guards, and raised the front of the stock seat about 5/8". The seating position is very comfortable and riding out a tank of gas or 2 - 3 hours in the saddle are no problem. I started out with just a 46 liter Givi topbox and later added pannier racks and 36 liter panniers. Wind protection with a half-faired bike is adequate to tour and wind blast and buffeting are no problem to triple digit speeds. There is no vibration to speak of in the grips, seat, mirrors, or pegs. It handles so nimble and sweet and is a blast in the twisties. I have no regrets at all about buying this bike. It's fun to ride and has been very economical to purchase and maintain. It is hard to categorize (utility bike, commuter, Saturday sport ride, light tourer, grocery getter) as it has done everything well I have asked of it. 1 year ago I did not expect to have a lightweight touring bike in it and it has done that well. It does hard pack and gravel roads well and as long as my adventure riding is not too adventurous it does that just fine. The locking storage compartment is fantastic and I miss it on the ST now. 21 liters of waterproof locking storage always there has ruined me for textile tank bags. That is a jug of milk, a bottle of wine, a roll of paper towels and a nice sized cantaloupe with room left for raingear and a 12v air compressor. At 472 lbs it is 250 lbs lighter than the ST1300 and the center of mass is low and concentrated and so it feels even lighter. It's a bike for a 6 mile ride to the grocery store or a 600 mile trip.

So far there have been no warranty or maintenance issues. I did have to replace the original chain at what I considered a too-early 8000 miles but that was my fault as I over-cleaned the chain at every opportunity. At 8000 miles I was too cheap to replace the sprockets with the new cheap chain I bought even though I was told to and paid the price by having to buy another chain and the sprockets last week at 16,900 miles. I bit the bullet and bought a good quality DID chain this time and new OEM sprockets so I hope I learned this lesson. I've done two 8,000 mile valve checks - a breeze with no plastic to remove and screw and locknut adjusters to check.

Of course the fuel mileage has been very good. The low was 45 mpg riding 155 miles into a stiff headwind at 80-85 steady mph. The high has been 94.5 mpg and I have been averaging about 68 on Fuelly. Carrying all my gear on a 8 day camping trip to WV I think I averaged 68 mpg over 2,400 miles with 2 interstate days of 70-85 mph included. I estimated riding the ST on this same trip would have cost $105 more in fuel costs. The tank range is 175 to 250 miles depending. One day on the last trip I compared notes with a WeeStrom owner that was proud of the highest-ever 62 mpg he achieved on the BRP and "I get low 50s all the time". I got 78 on a 90 mile BRP section from Buchanan, VA to Willville MC Camp riding the same pace. Its hard to describe sometimes to people that is doesn't seem to matter how hard you twist the throttle it always returns good numbers and you don't have to ride it easy or *****foot it to get good mileage. If you keep it between 40 and 70 mph you get 60 to 70 mpg. Ride it over 70 mph and you get 60s. Ride it over 80 and you get 50s. Go faster or throw in a headwind and you get 40s. Thrash it in the mountains and it still gets over 70 mpg like when I rode with a bunch of STs at the last Blue Ridge Gathering. I can see keeping this bike a long time. It's easy to live with.

Day 1:

Day 338:

I haven't ridden the NC as much as I thought I would, and to me, the seat leaves something to be desired. I have not tried the front raising mod, but might give it a try. I like that it is nimble, but if I am going for more than an hour's ride, I take my ST, with the cruise control, it is hard to beat the comfort.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I did have to replace the original chain at what I considered a too-early 8000 miles but that was my fault as I over-cleaned the chain at every opportunity. At 8000 miles I was too cheap to replace the sprockets with the new cheap chain I bought even though I was told to and paid the price by having to buy another chain and the sprockets last week at 16,900 miles.
I went to my Honda w/shop yesterday to get new Exedras installed, and coincidentally one of the mechs I've befriended with since +20 years had an NC700X on the platform.
Besides that frequent lubing of a chain drive is essential anyway (like every 500km/300miles, thus once a day; have your lubrication spray with you at all times), he told that the chain/sprocket set on this model isn't one of the most sturdy ones to begin with...
Seems to be the backside of offering a reasonable priced crossover bike, too many parts from non-domestic vendors...
Besides that, very successful over here...

Last edited:

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
I went to my Honda w/shop yesterday to get new Exedras installed, and coincidentally one of the mechs I've befriended with since +20 years had an NC700X on the platform.
Besides that frequent lubing of a chain drive is essential anyway (like every 500km/300miles, thus once a day; have your lubrication spray with you at all times), he told that the chain/sprocket set on this model isn't one of the most sturdy ones to begin with...
Seems to be the backside of offering a reasonable priced crossover bike, too many parts from non-domestic vendors...
Besides that, very successful over here...
While it does not need lubed that often, no the OEM chain and sprockets are not premium pieces. What do you expect on a bike in that price range? I believe there was even a recall on a few of them. Still most seem to get reasonable mileage out of the stock sets.

While it does not need lubed that often, no the OEM chain and sprockets are not premium pieces. What do you expect on a bike in that price range? I believe there was even a recall on a few of them. Still most seem to get reasonable mileage out of the stock sets.
Yep ... there was a recall on the 2012 - I checked on mine and it was performed. This bike (at least mine) will never see the exertion applied to the final drive as does my Hurricane. The NC, in my mind, was never meant for hooligan activity - it's a sedate commuter bike, so no need for a 530 chain and associated sprocks.

Top Bottom