Boots Tour Master WP 2.0 "waterproof" riding boots

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I received a new pair of Tour Master solution waterproof riding boots a few days ago. Upon trying them on and satisfied with fit, I located a rainstorm on the radar and rode my ST1300 in that direction with intention of testing new boots. After riding about 20 minutes in the hard rain I turned back in the opposite direction and got about the same amount again. I found a nice shady spot to pull my boots off and check them for moisture. THEY WERE WET !! I got a return authorization today and I am expecting a full refund soon----now what to do?? I have little trust now in the so-called waterproof membrane boots.
I am looking at a good leather riding boot http://www.gasolinaboots.com/shortcut_boots.html
cost about $220 shipped, anyone have any experience with this boot??
I will now on use only the rain covers to keep out the wet from my boots.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The TCX X-Five actually walks the walk when it comes to keeping you dry. I've had mine and the Oxtar Matrixes (earlier model from the same manufacturer) that preceded them out in lots of rainand haven't once come home with wet feet.

--Mark

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Maybe just a bad pair... I had a pair for about 2-2.5 years and to the day I retired them they never got my feet wet. Well, once when I was too stubborn to put on my rain pants as it looked like just a light sprinkle and turned into a toad floater. My biggest grip about the Solution boots was the sole wasn't very thick and so it wore smooth.

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
The TCX X-Five actually walks the walk when it comes to keeping you dry. I've had mine and the Oxtar Matrixes (earlier model from the same manufacturer) that preceded them out in lots of rainand haven't once come home with wet feet.

--Mark
having had wet feet with new "waterproof" boots I have spent many hours searching reviews on MANY brands and styles of membrane waterproof boots. AMAZING how many folks like them and dislike them, I have found in these post that many leak even when new.

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Maybe just a bad pair... I had a pair for about 2-2.5 years and to the day I retired them they never got my feet wet. Well, once when I was too stubborn to put on my rain pants as it looked like just a light sprinkle and turned into a toad floater. My biggest grip about the Solution boots was the sole wasn't very thick and so it wore smooth.
and then there are some that have great luck----what is my luck when I have wet feet??

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
and then there are some that have great luck----what is my luck when I have wet feet??
Pretty bad... I feel for ya... the problem is you don't find out 'til you need them to be waterproof... I know some will put on new boots and stand in the tub so see how well they work.

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Just so ya know, I had my rain pants on over the boots and secured with velcro so any doubts about doing something stupid like riding with jeans tucked into the boots----

Bike
'12 GL1800
STOC #
I used a set of Tourmaster WP Solution boots for about 5 yrs without ever getting my feet wet. Just retired them this spring (because of "holy" soles) for a set of WP Solution 2.0s & still have dry feet. Hate that you had the problem. Good luck.

John

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I'm on my 3rd set of WP's... 2.0 this time around, never had an issue with any of them. The TCX (Oxtar) Matrix were great too, just twice the price of the WP's.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had good luck with two pairs of Solutions one after the other that always kept me dry. I retired them after wearing the soles smooth in a couple three years or 50,000 miles or so. I bought the third pair a few months ago and the change in quality was apparent in the change to the Solution 2.0 version. I hope they work as well and last as long. Sorry to hear about your leak I hope it was just bad luck especially since I have the same boot!

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
"Waterproof"...don't get me started on gloves!

But boots are another thing. I have Oxtar Matrix boots (updated version are branded TCX) and they've kept me dry for many years, but in addition to their Gore-Tex liner I also make the effort to treat the leather with a 50/50 mixture of mink oil and Meltonian boot cream. This combination was recommended to me by Paul from motorcyclegear.com (newenough.com at the time) as what he used to treat used gear prior to offering it for sale. I recently had the boots resoled because the leather was still in such great shape. My $.02

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
TM solutions "Water-repellent leather and PU upper"
I tend to walk a few miles a day in my boots. My alpinestars were waterproof until the PolyUrethane synthetic upper cracked.

Anybody tried the 1st gear Kili Hi WP, about the same price point with a leather upper?

Bike
2005 ST1300
I just buy regular leather boots and waterproof them myself with Sno-Seal once every 6 mos. I live in the NW so they pass a pretty stiff test but I don't go looking for rain.....you know you could just use a hose to test:bump:bump

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I just buy regular leather boots and waterproof them myself with Sno-Seal once every 6 mos. I live in the NW so they pass a pretty stiff test but I don't go looking for rain.....you know you could just use a hose to test:bump:bump
I thought about using a hose but I needed @ 70mph wind to make it realistic, so off I went into the rain. Not try to rain on anybodys dry happy feet here and I am happy you are satisfied with your boots. I was hoping for dry feet myself and not trying to take away any of T/M business. As I said, when I got home, I researched a lot of reviews and found many riders had the same problem I had after riding in the rain with these particular boots.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
One of the riders in this year's IBR had the same failure of the same boot. The LD community stepped up and when he got to Checkpoint 1 there was a brand new pair of Non-Tourmaster boots waiting for him. Oddly enough, Dad has the Solution 2.0 Air boots and they performed flawlessly on our trip Out West. We rain tested them pretty good and they kept his feet dry. I had a brand new pair of the Tourmaster Response WP 2.0 and they stayed completely dry as well. Now the Tourmaster jacket and the cheap Bilt Waterproof gloves failed me miserably in the rain, but that is another story.

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Hi Andrew, amazing how the exact same boot will work for some and others not. I TRULEY wanted these boots to work for me as I am sure you wanted your jacket and gloves to keep you dry. What should I do? Keep getting replacements until a pair that does what they should always do?

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
2 pairs of Tourmaster Solutions never a drop of wetness and the first pair's ankle protector saved a worse injury in a get off. I can't answer the some work some don't question. Hope you find something that works!

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
+1 on the TCX. Have new boots. Bought at Weststock from vendor. There DRY. Soles are a little thicker. The rear of boots has flex area that was not on my old 1's. Great on the pegs.

--Mark

Top Bottom