Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
DAY 9 (8/9 - Friday) - Mueller SP to Rincon Campground via Pike's Peak

We passed around the idea of bypassing the Pikes Peak... well, I can't tell you how much of a mistake that would have been, this part of the trip was one of the best stretches. This wasn't a high mileage day whatsoever, it was just an easy stroll and it was great.

We got up a little later than usual - 6:30 am vs 6:00 am - hey, I'm not a drill Sargent and they needed a break (me too).

These guys were hanging around the fire pit.

Now... for this next picture, you have to understand how cheap Rick is... he dropped one of a .99 cent pair of ear plugs and the wind caught it and sent it over the edge... well, that's .49 cents and Rick could just see it... so, off he went.

But, getting back up was a little tougher than he thought, he did need some help.

Good news though, he got the ear plug.

Made it to the top.

At the railway at the top we caught this little guy (Marmot?) running around, I got him in an action shot.

Here we are posing with him while he's looking at us like a couple of idiots.

Smart animals...

Well, enough of that... back down we go...

Rick knew of some dirt road out of Cripple Creek, CO so we headed there.

Cripple Creek has one gas station and it's very tough to find... and apparently even tougher to escape.

CR88 is the road between Cripple Creek and Cannon City. The last small section is paved but most of it i dirt. Lots of washboard stuff.

I'm the novice here so took it easy, very easy... I came up around a corner and saw this.

Now, you're probably thinking "wow, he must have been going fast" or "gee, he slid that rearend around" or "must have caught air over that cattle guard".

Nope, the bike well over while he was stopped and trying to get a pic of the two of us coming up behind him. Hey, if it's gonna fall over, I'll take that one any day.

We had lunch in Cannon City and decided to just ride west until we felt like grabbing whatever campground looked good. We were off schedule with the original routes at this point but it didn't matter as we were all close enough to home to get there within a day or two so we were open to being flexible.

US-50 out of Cannon City is always a great road.

We found Rincon Campground in a little canyon with no cell service at all - great stuff when you're used to being 'connected' 24x7.

There was even a guy fly fishing and catching trout in front of us.

About 179 miles for the day, probably the least amount any of us had ever done touring but we didn't care as we were on the bikes all day and it was a great time - sometimes it really is quality and not quantity.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
DAY 10 (8/10-11 - Saturday/Sunday) - Rincon Campground to The Crash Site then Home: OKC (Steve), Houston (Rick), Dallas (Joe)

This would be our last day together as a group. It's always a sad time when good friends have to part ways but we have a great time together and we cherish our friendship as one of the most valuable things in our lives. We will continue to plan riding trips together as long as we can.

The New Mexico Sign

The primary purpose for this leg of the trip was to visit Steve's crash site from our previous Big Ride II trip. He came into a corner hot and had to lean it over more than his hard bags would allow. He was okay physically, only having a sprained thumb - mentally, we're still not sure.

Disclaimer: No alcohol was consumed on this ride, it was merely a prop for the picture.

Here's the curve:

Here's the sign for the curve.

Steve claims because the vegetation was crowding the speed portion of the sign, he didn't know how fast to take the turn. To this day, we tell him, "Steve, it was a Circle! How fast do you take those?" He never answers us.

So, in the spirit of getting back on the horse that threw ya... Steve went back up the hill and did the curve again, the right way.

Little did he know, my gps route had us doing a u-turn and we'd all have to do that curve again... LOL

This was the last part of the ride.

Steve and I got the Texas sign.

Then Steve continued into Oklahoma.

I think I was around 600 miles for the day. Steve probably 800-ish.

Rick got the Texas sign on his path back home.

Rick decided he'd book it home - typical Rick - he made it home around 4am I think.

I decided to stop at the KOA in Amarillo and make Sunday morning an easy day.

Summary:
Miles Rick (5,818), Steve (~5,400), Joe (~5,600)

Rick's Pictures - Steve's Pictures - Joe's Pictures

End of Story - 'til The Big Ride IV.....

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Great trip log Joe, thanks for sharing it. Looks like you guys went Phantom Canyon from Cripple Creek.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Nice report.

Tell Rick to clean the junk off of the lens of his camera. All of his pictures are distorted at the lower left part of the frame...

Bike
'14 Spyder RTS
Thanks Joe for taking the time to write about y'all's ride. I really enjoyed the write up and the pix. Looked like y'all had a blast!

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Nice report.

Tell Rick to clean the junk off of the lens of his camera. All of his pictures are distorted at the lower left part of the frame...
Yeah, I saw the pic with the dog and wondered how was that portion of the bike moving but the rest was still? Then another shot in front of the building, now I'm thinking the bike is possessed! Whew, glad it was just dirt.

Can't believe Trailmix rides that old bike on these long rides. :D

I don't think I could keep up with you fellers. You certainly motor on each day.

This thread serves to inspire all those who dream of taking a long ride on a two wheeler. Looks like a perfect trip!

Bike
2003 ST1300
I don't think I could keep up with you fellers. You certainly motor on each day.

This thread serves to inspire all those who dream of taking a long ride on a two wheeler. Looks like a perfect trip!
Yes, I require an easier pace too. Great report and pics sure makes one wanna go back to Bear Tooth. That top box sticker "damn I got old quick" (too good!)

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
I'm bummed that I couldn't make this one... Hopefully next time. I applied for a job with union Pacific in Van Buren, AR... maybe someday I'll be back in the middle of the USA again...

(Still chuckling about Steve's CB Drama....;))

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Looks like it was a fun trip. Thanks for sharing. How do you like the Wee V Strom Joe?
It's a keeper..... never let me down. It wasn't the most powerful of the bikes but was light and agile in the twisites. The Beemers did much better in the dirt but most of that was the riders and not the bikes.

(Still chuckling about Steve's CB Drama....)
Yeah, Steve convinced us that maybe we should give the Sena SMH10s a try as he has that on his other helmet and feels it works much better than the CBs.

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
Looks like there's some trees or bushes missing from around his Turn sign..... I remember it being "slightly" less visible...;)

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Small world... I'm pretty sure I know that Collinsville cop from highschool. :)

Looks like a great trip!
That's funny... He was a nice guy but still wouldn't tazer Steve - we said we'd pay for it but he just couldn't..

Bike
2004 ST1300/XR650L
STOC #
Thanks for sharing, It was great to see you and your friends at the Motocampers campout and I'm glad the rest of your trip went well.

Dennis

Top Bottom