The Big Ride III

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
It's a keeper..... never let me down. It wasn't the most powerful of the bikes but was light and agile in the twisites. The Beemers did much better in the dirt but most of that was the riders and not the bikes.

Yeah, Steve convinced us that maybe we should give the Sena SMH10s a try as he has that on his other helmet and feels it works much better than the CBs.
The wife and I used them (SMH10s) for the trip to NATSTOC and they were great. Only problem is charging them while camping after a days ride; it takes a while. The manual says they last 8 hours, but I got 11 on several days. The music was crystal clear and the comms between us was great. I can answer the phone from the kids and friends and make calls by speech. You can only separate .6 mile though. I highly recommend them.

Bike
2006 Aprilia Capo
Great report and pictures, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

Bike
'15 FJR ES
Very Good STuff. I really enjoyed the way you set this report up, I really like the map/routing for each day.

I strongly recommend doing away with the CBs and getting a proper bike to bike comm system. I use the Cardo, there are others as good or better. Hands free, batteries last all day and then some, less electrical mods to the bike.

I was impressed at the cohesiveness of the group. Those long grinding mileage days are not for everyone and to get a group that can do them without getting grouchy and mean is rare. I personally would not wish to do 1000+ miles in one day with but one other rider, I don't think I even know 3 other people who could/would do it.

I really like your new V-strom. I want one just like that although I cannot see myself selling my ST1300. What kind of MPG are you getting? What do you think of your saddlebag capacity? Any real complaints?

Thanks for putting together a very good report. I enjoyed reading it.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I was impressed at the cohesiveness of the group. Those long grinding mileage days are not for everyone and to get a group that can do them without getting grouchy and mean is rare. I personally would not wish to do 1000+ miles in one day with but one other rider, I don't think I even know 3 other people who could/would do it.
We're all pretty easy-going... During the previous trip we were headed from Bryce Canon towards Mesa Verde and we stopped at a stop sign.. there was another sign saying the north rim of the Grand Canyon was 150 miles away... well, it was still early and we all said we either hadn't been to that part of the GC or not on a bike... so off we went, however that was already a 550 mile day we just added 250 miles too along with tourist stuff so we ended up at Mesa Verde at 3am.. LOL

I think the key is to embrace the experience and not let anything get to you.. we all seem to mesh well and keep a good attitude. If any one of us feels the day is over then the others just say okay the day is over and we find a campground.

What kind of MPG are you getting? What do you think of your saddlebag capacity? Any real complaints?
If I stayed under 80 indicated I'd get around 50, under or around 70 and I could get 60-65mpg. A lot of that was in higher altitudes. The interstate in ND was a mileage killer... We had to back off to around 75mph so I wouldn't have to stop for gas more often as 90 indicated was yielding 28mpg at one point. It is a 650 so obviously, the higher speeds are going to affect those numbers the most.

The Jesse bags are great, top-loading bags are just great IMO. They are not waterproof so you still have to pack things in waterproof bags or freezer bags but event with the rain we did hit there was only about a shot glass full of water in one bag so not that bad. It's great you don't have to lock the bags to latch them yet they are still secure enough they won't open accidentally.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I strongly recommend doing away with the CBs and getting a proper bike to bike comm system. I use the Cardo, there are others as good or better. Hands free, batteries last all day and then some, less electrical mods to the bike.
I wish I could count how many times a CB saved my butt from a ticket or warned me of a bad traffic jam just by listening to truckers. My JM CB is the schnitzzle, has a power head with easy to access adjustable volume, weather and adjustable squelch so I can tune out CB chatter if so desired. I discovered yesterday that my Iphone integrates with the system through the MP3 aux chord. Now I can make and receive calls while listening to tunes, the very expensive high quality upper cord from JM has the ability to plug in ear buds so I am noise free from wind and road. I read about so many issues with these things but if installed correctly with quality cords, wires and antenna they are the best option in my opinion. 2 weeks ago we had excellent radio comm weather, I chatted with some truckers over a hundred miles from me ( my radio has been tuned for more power) and I also have a quality stainless steel antenna adjusted to peak performance.
Hey Mellow, did anyone ever find out what was the problem with the CB that was giving you guys trouble on the trip??

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hey Mellow, did anyone ever find out what was the problem with the CB that was giving you guys trouble on the trip??
Nope, typically, the upper or lower cords are the weak points on the J&M systems but we tried Ricks helmet w/upper and lower cords as well as mine and it acted the same. When we were stopped in MI we took his tank off and checked all the connections. We did find his Rider cord had a short so routed his passenger cord for him to use. This was the same CB he had when he crashed on the previous ride and he hadn't checked the CB operation - other than receiving - with anyone 'til we started this ride. Eventually, his upper cord internal wires broke and then the plastic cover and it just broke in half - still being run over on some road in Utah :D .

On this trip my PTT button on my unit was having issues, sometimes it would transmit and sometimes not. Rick and I have always had a combination of Cord-shorts on our CBs but they have mostly been reliable. As for CB alerts from truckers, it works well on the interstate but sometimes they aren't talking much - many times on some TX hwys that are higher speed limits they don't tell anyone anything because a lot of the trucks aren't going over 80 anyway and sometimes they just don't ever talk much at all so that's hit or miss.. But, I have been saved a few times so I understand the value. That AND a radar detector work well for me. Also, there are some states/areas where channel 19 isn't used by the truckers anymore, probably due to the public using them more - which is funny since CB means Citizen's Band.. LOL

Corded or Cordless systems both have advantages and disadvantages.. I've been a big fan of the J&M system but I have had issues so it's not as reliable as I would like and nothing they sell is cheap. I'm willing to give the Sena setup a try and see if that will work any better for my application. I like the option of adding an FRS - which both systems can handle - to extend communication range - the midland I was looking at said a 36 mile range which I know is in optimal conditions.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I too find many truckers are not talking on their CB as much these days with all the other electronic devices in their trucks to keep them busy, but when a bad accident or road condition occurs they grab the microphone and get busy.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
Each to his own I suppose. I really benefit from the bike to bike comm with Pop when we are riding. I cannot begin to explain how this has enhanced my enjoyment of riding with Dear Old Dad. On the other hand, I would rather pull all my fingernails off slowly with a pair of pliers than listen to a CB radio while I am on a motorcycle ride. We all want something different I guess.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Each to his own I suppose. I really benefit from the bike to bike comm with Pop when we are riding. I cannot begin to explain how this has enhanced my enjoyment of riding with Dear Old Dad. On the other hand, I would rather pull all my fingernails off slowly with a pair of pliers than listen to a CB radio while I am on a motorcycle ride. We all want something different I guess.
LOL.. I've changed channels frequently before when I just happen to be on the same path as a couple rather chatty truckers in a convoy....

Bike to Bike comms are nice... because it makes your gas stops much quicker... you can decide where to eat before you stop or if you're having problems or need to tell someone about something in the road.. It really helps make the journey more enjoyable and safe IMO..

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Hahaha---yeah, I always agree with other riders on a specific channel to run on when group riding, listen to channel 19 when I am alone on the slab. Always have tunes on with squelch turned up which goes up all the way when a stoopid conversation interrupts. I think I might do my nails now (so embarrased)

Top Bottom