Bought a totalled ST last year. Here's its STory.

DixieFlyer

Terry Melton
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Great read & great work on salvaging the ST. I enjoy seeing the work of folks who do it with their own two hands. The bike looks great and you're using it for what it was designed for -- distance touring. Thanks for posting.
Regards,
Terry

OP
OP
So I've been riding, and have some good long rides planned for the next few weeks. Wind is driving me a little crazy so I dug out the 'ole behemoth windshield. I reeeallly didn't like the lower part, so I hacked it off.

Tried to prevent some scratches,

Made a template and traced it on,

And cut 'em out. Here it is on.

It's still ugly, but I guess I'll give it another try for now. It pops off pretty easy, so for the short day's I'll drop it wherever and enjoy the wind. For the long days, I'll pop it on and enjoy the not-wind.

View from the cockpit.

Hopin to post a poop-load of travel pics over the next few weeks!

OP
OP
amazing ingenuity! Great job! Looking at the picture of you and the mrs on it, you have GOT TO BE A BIG GUY!. I have the same bike and i look like a dwarf on it compared to you!
That pic is kinda funky. I am on the tall side- 6'6", but for some reason in that picture it looks like I'm on a minibike...

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Great build. Keep the pics coming. Looked at the PO's thread at ADVRider. Looks like he healed well.

OP
OP
See this mess?

Someone installed a fan override switch but since it was all covered in plastic before the wreck, didn't bother to make it look nice.

Someone also installed the police switch block on my bike, so I took the air filter off to get to the connection, and wired the fan into one of the extra switches. That green connector is where it all went.

Even had some help- the Hardley did its best to hold down the concrete while I worked.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
How did ya handle the broken chrome tube? That's part of the PAIR (air injection) system, the whole thing can be deleted if ya want. Search PAIR on this site for details.

OP
OP
bought some used ones off of ebay, but got impatient waiting for them to show up so I just welded the crack up.

Any benefits / negatives to removing the whole system?

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
bought some used ones off of ebay, but got impatient waiting for them to show up so I just welded the crack up.

Any benefits / negatives to removing the whole system?
The PAIR system is in there to promote clean burn on the exhaust. If the 4 valves (one per cylinder, under the carbs) are operating properly, they inject air into the exhaust via those tubes on after burn. Valves work from vacuum on closed throttle, if I understand it correctly. Anyway, except for losing that clean-burn function, there are no negatives. Might even cut down on the "pop-pop-pop" that can occur when decelerating.

The PAIR system is easy to disable, just put a blocker (a correct size ball bearing works) behind the 4 fittings at the end of each of those chrome tubes at the exhaust headers. To remove it takes more work 'cause the carbs have to come off. Also necessary, of course, to plug some hoses, etc. I'm sure the process is explained with pics somewhere on here or at st-riders.net.

Any, my 91 silver and my 01 ABS still have the PAIR in place and functioning. My 91 black had it removed by the PO. I can tell basically no diff among them. Guess removing it would save a couple pounds but on a 700 lb bike, who cares. :D

OP
OP
Also mounted the side covers while on vacation this summer. Made some supports:

And bolted 'em on.

I think they look great, kinda V-maxx-ish.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Wish I could find the pics of the Rat Bike ST from SeaSTOC a few years ago,,, it was a well thought out production. Anyone?

OP
OP
Really like the lack of anything in the back. Though about stripping off the side plastics, and may still eventually but for now I think they fit my bike well.

There was another "naked" ST the same color as mine that gave me a lot of inspiration, and also a white one. I think they look WAY better this way, but that's just my opinion.

Top Bottom