ST1100 Anti dive seals?

Bike
2000 ST1100
Do any of you fine people know where I can get the oil seal and O ring for the anti dive piston on my 2000 ST1100 ABS/TCS/CBS. I refurbished forks a few weeks ago but never stripped anti dive mechanism.(Foolish me) I am still getting excessive fork travel on braking, so took anti dive apart. The new fork oil had turned black already and the oil seal had degraded to a thin ring of rubber. Ideally, I only require the oil seal, but will get the whole unit at the death of it. Alternately, an on line supplier of seals that can produce the correct size to fit in the cover and over the piston. Thanks in advance

Bike
Vstrom 650
Last edited:
Bike
'95 ST1100
STOC #
Ian: You can buy the anti dive as a unit from oem parts supplier. Only thing not included is the o ring and the spring. I did my front fork with new seals, new sonic 1.1 springs. Handles much better now, not nearly the dive as before. Just purchased the anti dive, o ring and spring because I didn't do it when I worked on the forks before.

T :money1:

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I agree that David Silvers is a good source for UK parts. He should have what you need.

Have you tested your AD mechanism? I was riding my 1100 the other day and was thinking that mine was shot as well. I seemed to have a lot of front end dive. Someone posted here that if you hold the front brake and push down on the forks get a feel for what the dive is like. Then do it again but this time with the bike rolling. The two should feel different. If it feels the same then the device isn't working properly. I tried that and it does feel different. So I think mine is fine. I just don't ride my 1100 that much anymore. I am used to the linked brakes on my 1300 which causes the bike to squat more than dive. I know the 1100 ABS has linked brakes (not sure if yours is ABS or not) but don't have much for mileage riding one of those (4 miles under my belt) to compare it to the 1300.

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
Thanks for the response folks. To double check the operation, I gaffer taped my little video camera to the fork leg and pointed it at the caliper and linkage, then went for a blast. the footage confirmed that the linkage and piston are doing their thing.
Found the part No's on your link Broc11 so thanks and i have ordered the piston and seal from David Silver. All complete in a day, so thanks again all.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Found the part No's on your link Broc11 so thanks and i have ordered the piston and seal from David Silver. All complete in a day, so thanks again all.
How are the forks now Ian? I have all the rebuild parts ordered now,new springs bushes and head bearings too,hope to get it all installed next week with the help of a mate of mine who is a mechanic,bit too difficult for me.

sofawizard

andy
Bike
st1100 a
well forks on the 1100 abs seem tobe like hens teeth but you know what I found a good set from a 20k bike for less than the cost of 1 stantion so im happy no more weepy seals for me next season

Bike
Vstrom 650
well forks on the 1100 abs seem tobe like hens teeth but you know what I found a good set from a 20k bike for less than the cost of 1 stantion so im happy no more weepy seals for me next season
Are you happy with the stock fork springs Andy? I'm going to install hyperpros so hopefully that will stiffen up the front,she wallows now since I fitted the new shock.looking for handlebar riser options at the minute,might as well try that when I have her on the bench.

sofawizard

andy
Bike
st1100 a
ive no ide if my forks are standard up front as shes an ex police bike ive never noticed a problem up front even when im gringing the pegs ( I have no chicken strips on the rear tyre ) so the new forks will tell me when there fitted I will be changing the oil for something a little thicker than standard tho as I did with this set when they were last off I go a set of adjustable bar risers off ebay that should fit 231052400803 go look em up

Bike
Vstrom 650
I go a set of adjustable bar risers off ebay that should fit 231052400803 go look em up
Thanks I will have a look, I think the police bikes had stiffer progressive springs,read it somewhere but I could be wrong,I got an email today from sportsbikeshop saying the springs won't now be available for 3 weeks so I'll probably just try adding a bit of preload to the oems first.
I also think your police spec bike has 1" higher handlebars as standard.

sofawizard

andy
Bike
st1100 a
no its a job I was going to do over the winter got a plan to adapt the plastic so when it rises with the bars I can still gey my key down to the lock il likely cut a chunk out round the barrel n use an old bottle cut down into a funnel shape and painted to tidy it up :)

Bike
Vstrom 650
il likely cut a chunk out round the barrel n use an old bottle cut down into a funnel shape and painted to tidy it up
LOL,Uncle Phil emailed his flip/clip mod for rising the handlebars last year,I think you could use an old 35mm film canister and cut the bottom out of it,helibars would be the job,or maybe I read on here somewhere the bars from an old bmw from the 80's I think,can't remember the model number.
the bars are just a wee bit low,wouldn'tmind getting them risen a bit

Bike
Vstrom 650
I just got the anti dive repair parts from davidsilver today,over ?30 sterling for a few 0 rings etc,ridiculous,we bikers are being ripped off, on this side of the pond anyway.
they didn't send a new piston for it,which I had priced and thought was included,now they want ?24 delivered for the anti dive piston alone,wonder if I need it,what a rip off.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...over ?30 sterling for a few 0 rings etc,ridiculous,we bikers are being ripped off...
Don't see only the 'material price', logistics, packing, labeling, warehousing, handling, courier service, etc... are to considered... by requiring only a 'mouse click' these days, all those efforts are kinda hidden... order an M2x3mm screw for some consumer product and it'll easily cost € 5,-... nicely packed and labeled though :)

Bike
Vstrom 650
The envelope was marked ?1.14 postage and they charged ?12? I have to wait 3 weeks for the hyperpro springs Martin,so it will be mid October before I get her up and running correctly hopefully.
I wonder do I need to replace the anti dive piston? all I seem to do on this bike is buy new parts,

Don't see only the 'material price'

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I wonder do I need to replace the anti dive piston?
Don't see its condition... largely depending on how well and frequent the procedures on fork oil replacement were done in the past... in this I can only vouch for my very own mount...
And frankly am I more scared on the development of the prices on food and energy over here, their the absolute killer... whilst the charges for genuine spares still appear quite reasonable to me...

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The seal on the tip of the piston is bonded to the metal. For unknown/whatever reason a piece of that seal had broken off and I found it in the bottom of the fork slider during a fork seals R&R. Inspect yours closely for damage. If it doesn't seal properly when the braking/caliper action actuates it, the anti-dive will be degraded or fail entirely. I'd examine the seal's seat in the fork slider also. I replaced all the my unit's parts when I rebuilt mine at 162K.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Bike
Vstrom 650
I don't think ?5 for an 0 ring is reasonable,the red and white Honda label must be worth ?4.75 in that case.
anyway I'll see the condition of the piston when it's disassembled.

Top Bottom