VSTrom 650?

Bike
03 st1300
STOC #
Hi Everybody====I'll be home the week of Sept...16th, is anyone riding or know of anything goin on........I'm thinkin

of buyin a used V-Strom 650 adventure, with the boxes....any comments. The machine seems to have more goin for it

for the price. Can't tell you what a pleasure it is to have endless days of good riding weather. Steve

scootac

Will Ride for Food
I think there's some dood named Joe or Mellow... or was it Bellow???.... on here that has one.
But he don't say much,,, or often.

:D

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I think there's some dood named Joe or Mellow... or was it Bellow???.... on here that has one.
But he don't say much,,, or often.

:D
LOL.. recent comments on my last ride HERE.

If you plan on doing a lot of interstate riding then don't get the 650. I see a few issues with the 1000 but it's been around a while so I think that's just normal once a bike has been out and put through the paces.

That being said, the 650 will cruise at 80 mph indicated all day long. When you try to push it must past 100 that's where it doesn't respond as well as the ST. My logic is I don't really ride at that speed for any realistic amount of time. Where the bike really shines is the twisties, it's just so light and flickable feeling - coming from a guy that's had 2 STs and 2 GL1800s of course.

The chain is a non-issue IMO.. I have a bottle of lube as well as a aerosol can and will put some on the chain at every gas stop. Sounds like a lot of work but, put on center stand, move tire with right hand and squirt wax/lube on chain with left hand - about 20 seconds if that. I have just about 13k miles on the bike so far and the front sprocket is just barely looking like it might be wearing - if I squint my eyes at just the right angle - so it may be good for 20-30k miles which I find very acceptable.

I put some Anakee 3 tires on the bike before my last 6k trip and they look like they could go another 4-5k on the rear and the front appears like it may never wear out.

The bike is fun right off the floor but you may want to add risers, seat, different windshield and mirror extenders before it's at a touring-level.

I'm not a dirt-bike rider and will never claim to be so I can't give much useful info on that, we did several miles of dirt/gravel/washboard roads and the bike handled well. Having non-spoke wheels I always took it easy but I know if the pavement ends, I should be able to handle it within reason (and my experience level).

Bike
1984 Shadow 700
I have never owned one, but if i was going to do the "adventure bike" thing, it would be a VERY strong contender... I wish we could get the Honda adventure bikes you can get in Europe!

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
I work with 3 guys the have the 1000. Each eventually had clutches that chattered ("chudder" in the link below). This link provide a fix with pics that each followed with 100% success.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147575

Each also experienced melted electrical connector. I can't find Chuck's link but his fix was to removed the ground wire from the connector and route it to the battery by itself with bigger gauged wire. Apparently, under load, the ground gets pretty hot and will melt the connector.

Keep in mind, each of these bikes are the 1000 V-strom, one of which I'm going to make an offer on come winter. It's that good of a bike!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
03 st1300
STOC #
Thanks all for good advise, Mellow, I'm no dirt rider at all, I just want to be able

to ride the dirt roads with more confidence. Any other models come to mind.....

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks all for good advise, Mellow, I'm no dirt rider at all, I just want to be able

Sure... The Super Tenere is also a great bike, but costs a little more.

The Triumph and BMW 800s are an option as well but both are also more $$ .. there's some BMW 650/700 options (I get confused) but more $$ than I wanted to spend.

The Versys is an option but I wanted more of an adventure bike 'look'.

The KLR is okay but I wanted more of a tourer and my research suggested the KLR is more of a tank.. no offense to any KLR owners out there.

It's great to have so many options out there. It would be nice to have Honda in the mix with the Cross Runner or Valadero or African Twin but still lots to choose from.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Honda's NC700X easily handles gravel and hard pack dirt roads but it only two model years old and will be more expensive to buy than a used WeeStrom.

OP
OP
Bike
03 st1300
STOC #
I rode the f800 and I really didnt think it was that great.....I also rode the Triump Tiger and liked that
bike alot and I may go for that......My problem is I like too many motorcycles....Thanks for the comments

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I bought a used 06 Wee back in early July. I've put a couple thousand miles on it and have really been enjoying the ride! It's my go to bike when I'm riding on my own, the ST does touring, camping and two up duty. It's great in the twisties , also good on gravel rds and just everyday commuting. I don't like riding it on the slab but it will run indicated 80 with out a hiccup. I've been averaging over 50mpg no matter how I ride it. Don't think you could go wrong with one of the new ADV models with ABS etc. I'm planning on doing a little farkeling this fall.

OP
OP
Bike
03 st1300
STOC #
Indian....thanks for info on 650, that's exactly what I want the bike for.......I'll keep you posted, My next move is
end around the women at home, can't just show up with it....Steve

Bike
2012 ST1300
Suzuki's v-twins are solid. I had an early VX-880 which was a standard, but I loved that bike. I think that the market would benefits from some mid-weight v-twins in a standard. Remember the Honda Hawk and Interceptor? Well, the Interceptor might have been a V4. I rode a Suzuki TL-1000 which became the bigger V-Strom and it was competitive with the Ducati w/o the price tag. Happy trails.

Bike
ST1300 '08
I'm a broken record on this and I know it's opinion, but I believe it's good advice, having put a lot of miles on a DL650. FORK BRACE. It's a game changer on that bike, esp stability on the slab and in cross winds, zero downside, and cheap. I suspect brand does not matter. IMO that is a great bike, great engine, as Mellow says, chain a non issue. In high altitudes I got great MPG's, and fine MPG's all the other time anyway. Easy to work on, runs like a top, BUT it has inherent design probs, and one of them is how the shape of the bike catches the wind in all but excellent conditions, and the spindly and long front forks. Sonic Springs are also a cheap and wise fix, but the forkbrace works miracles.

You will like it better for long higher speed rides too..

:)

MSGulfCoaST

SMTTT
Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Well did you get the Wee yet? :)

I bought an '08 after reading how many ST-Owners seemed to have one as their second bike. I love the Wee but it needs an aftermarket seat for me to ride it for long. Another item which was mentioned is the wind and many (if not all) owners add a MADSTAD (think that's spelled right) bracket to allow adjustment of the windscreen. I ride about 75 miles RT to work on interstate and highways so I went one up and two down on the f/r sprockets lowering my highway RPMs by about 600-700 at 80MPH so it's not so buzzy. Don't do dirt so don't know about that firsthand.

Top Bottom