ST1100 ABS Wheel Sensor

Bike
ST1100
Hi
Can anyone help out with a part number for either the front or rear wheel abs senor for my 2000 ST1100
I have been quoted ?290 for one and I'm sure they are on the open market for other vehicles.
I believe we are paying Honda for the wiring to the sensor which can be solved with a soldering iron,

Thanks
Sid

OP
OP
acaffair
Bike
ST1100
Found one, saw it on an old post.
Honeywell 1GT101DC SENSOR, just purchased for ?33 and fitted, had bike up to 90 and no dash lights driving me crazy.
It has only one fixing point and had to raise slightly to give me the gap , so will see if it's strong enough to handle vibration.
With SECONDHAND FRONT WHEEL SENSOR selling on eBay for ?115 I'm quids in.
Biggest problem was getting the old one out, had to take off the rear wheel and press out the inner part of the sensor then
a hacksaw blade inside the outer to cut a groove before it could be removed.
All in All I'm a happy chappy

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Glad it worked for you, don't know why it didn't work for me. So, 2 out of 3 like the Honeywell unit. :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
acaffair
Bike
ST1100
Glad it worked for you, don't know why it didn't work for me. So, 2 out of 3 like the Honeywell unit. :D
Yes it could be confusion on the colour codes, the red lead was so faded i had a problem making that decision if it was the power side or not.
Just put another few miles on her today and everything looks good.
But if you can use the Honeywell well unit -- what a saving

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I was able to borrow a unit off a sick bike until I acquired an OEM piece pretty cheap off a wreck, so I"m good. The Honeywell is setting on the shelf, I'll take another look at it some day. :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
acaffair
Bike
ST1100
Your Lucky George, not many OEM sensors around here, must be our weather, probably most sensors available in this part of the world are seized in
and will be sold together with the casing. Guess Honda are cutting off their nose to spite their face on there parts pricing, forcing guys like me to search out
alternatives.

Bike
ST11 ABS/TCS 00
Hi, I am tempted to try the Honeywell to substitute the original sensor but I have a couple of issues though, and I appreciate if you could help me. First, does the Honeywell fit the wheel support and second, how did you wire the Honeywell to the G, Bu and Bl wires of the original cable. I can see from the manual that the green and the black are the supply (green positive?) and I guess the blue is the signal. If this solution works, that's a large saving comparing to the original.
Thanks everybody.

Bike
ST1100AW
In my case the wheel sensor mount broke off in my hamfisted attempt to remove the old unit so i had to make a new bracket, i dont know if it will fit in the old one, possibly some modification will be needed,
as for the wiring, its simply a case of hooking up the three wires, positive negative and signal, wiring diagram for the sensor can be found here. on the bike the positive has a 12v feed, the negative has 0v and the signal wire should have 5v on it when open circuit, the sensor grounds this when a tooth passes under it.
It should be noted that the airgap for these sensors is greater than the original honda and should be set at between 1 and 2 mm

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100AW
What's this 'honeywell' sensor and where would I get it? I'm intermittently getting abs fault code 2.
The honeywell unit is a 1gt101dc, i got mine from radionics on herberton road in rialto, dublin. this wont fit the original mounting bracket but mine broke anyway trying to remove the original sensor.
however this will fix code 5 or 6, front or rear wheel speed sensor, fault code 2 is a rear crank angle sensor, honda ireland dont have a listing for it but if you give them the part number they can get it.
the part number is 57920-maj-g40, its listed as "sensor set angler m" just to confuse things, i got mine from lee honda in cork for about ?180

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
My understanding is the front and rear Honda sensors are the same except the lead length. As mentioned above, this can be fixed with a soldering iron.

"... I believe we are paying Honda for the wiring to the sensor which can be solved with a soldering iron,"

Last edited:

Heliredcat

Very clean 95 st1100 abs/tcs
Bike
St1100
Hello everyone, im dave,i have a 95 abs,tc,im getting code 1,crank angle sensor, what is it and where is it?

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Hello everyone, im dave,i have a 95 abs,tc,im getting code 1,crank angle sensor, what is it and where is it?
We're talking about the ABS sensors, front and rear. I believe the crank angle sensor is on the front right of the motor.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I believe that the crank angle sensor is part of the Abs modulator itself. If you look at the units - one under the fairing right hand side, one under the seat near the rear shock - there are two connectors. one pair of wires turn the motor. one pair of wires is from the sensor to send signals to the ecu so that it stops turning in the correct position.

There is a pretty good chance that if you are getting this fault, that the sensor connections may be faulty. Or that power is getting to the modulator to turn the motor - so the sensor isn't picking up any signals.

I am not familiar with the abc tcs unit on the 1995 models. I had a 2000 abs/tcs - so my information may be slightly different from what you are observing.

As I understood it when I owned this bike, the motor turns a crank which allows pressure in the brake line to be removed and then reapplied once every revolution. This has to stop in the right place so that it is ready to release pressure - otherwise it will first increase the pressure and then return it to what it was. ie lock the brakes harder rather than unlocking them. So that crank angle position sensor informs the ecu when the abs is in the 'armed' position.

That description may be a long way wide of the mark, but its the only picture that I have in my head.

Heliredcat

Very clean 95 st1100 abs/tcs
Bike
St1100
I believe that the crank angle sensor is part of the Abs modulator itself. If you look at the units - one under the fairing right hand side, one under the seat near the rear shock - there are two connectors. one pair of wires turn the motor. one pair of wires is from the sensor to send signals to the ecu so that it stops turning in the correct position.

There is a pretty good chance that if you are getting this fault, that the sensor connections may be faulty. Or that power is getting to the modulator to turn the motor - so the sensor isn't picking up any signals.

I am not familiar with the abc tcs unit on the 1995 models. I had a 2000 abs/tcs - so my information may be slightly different from what you are observing.

As I understood it when I owned this bike, the motor turns a crank which allows pressure in the brake line to be removed and then reapplied once every revolution. This has to stop in the right place so that it is ready to release pressure - otherwise it will first increase the pressure and then return it to what it was. ie lock the brakes harder rather than unlocking them. So that crank angle position sensor informs the ecu when the abs is in the 'armed' position.

That description may be a long way wide of the mark, but its the only picture that I have in my head.
Thanks for your information, but as i have disassembled the back modulator,i found the the motor has a ball bearing that is off center,so as the motor turns the ball bearing comes around and pushes a spring loaded plunger in and spring sends it back out, im guessing the sensor is supposed to know when the plunger is pushed towards it as it reaches TDC , i have not actually got to the sensor its self YET, I believe the 96 and up use same type but i think the 2 modulators are connected,but thats just a guess as im going on pictures only for 96 and up, thx for your reply, Dave

Top Bottom