Article [13] ST1300 - Windshield mechanism gear relacement

Bike
ST1300
This document ST1300 Window Adjustment Mechanism Removal.pdf shows step by step instructions for removal of the ST1300 Window Adjustment Mechanism (Honda Part# 64170-MCS-G01).
As more owners report mechanism failure, it is becoming clear that regular removal, inspection, cleaning, lubrication and possible gear replacement is required to assure a working unit.
The OEM mechanism has 3 primary failure modes; one often leads to the other.
1) The OEM lube looses its properties, degrading into a waxy, sticky ?anti-lube? substance.
2) The gear fractures under the increased load.
3) The fragments and the rotating gear eat up the polymer portion of the drive cables.
Ideally, a lube and gear replacement should be performed before failure occurs. At the very least you stop cycling the mechanism immediately after initial failure to minimize further damage and plan the maintenance process.
Whether you choose to replace the drive gear or not, this document shows how to remove the mechanism.
A second related document ST1300 Window Adjustment Mechanism (Clean Lubricate, Re-assembly) shows how to perform the required maintenance.
Basically the steps are; remove, clean, evaluate, lube, replace gear and reassemble.
Thanks to Dave Sennister for proof-reading & all his help. (& Mellow Joe)
I have GEARS! I have sent paypal requests to those on the list......and posted the second document.
Still 140$ shipped (cont. US) including replacement gear,a 1.75oz tube of soap based lithium grease (NLGI#2), instructions and several brushes to complete the kit. Shipments outside the US, on a case by case basis.
Long may you run!
ricke (warofman9)
carlermotorcycleparts@gmail.com
View attachment 142266

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Great write up, thank you for that.
I had initial failure of the screen adjustment, a stutter of the windscreen when moving it and then one side moved more than the other, this was about eight months ago.
I pulled it apart before seeing your info here, which would have helped.
I noted that the cables were a bit "chewed" up, the polymer on the cables showing some abrasion. I didn't note any damage to the gear or any other parts other than the lube being sticky and as you say a "non-lube" substance.
After putting it back to the point the cover was still off the gear/motor assembly I noticed the problem was a lack of tension on the cables to the gear. The "U" shaped metal spring clip wasn't pressing on the cables enough to keep them tight against the gear.
I cut a piece of Teflon (top of coffee can) to a size that fit behind the spring clip and worked it into place which gave enough pressure on the cables to keep them against the gear without being overly tight.
Finished lubing it up and reassembled but I also left out the shims on the slide assembly as those seemed to make it bind a little at the point it starts to curve up.
To date it works like a charm, hope I didn't just jinx myself. I think its a pretty poor design and a direct drive would have worked much better with less failures.
That cable/slide assembly is darn expensive and if the shim adds some life to the cable polymer coating it's well worth the time to do.
Hope this helps anyone who starts to have the problem without gear failure.

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
WoW What a nice right-up...er
...Wright-up...er
....write-up!!!!
;):D
Thanks
I am busy looking at mine again from the recently rebuilt No2...
It was well squashed on impact and so I had the dogs re-made and therein seems to lie my problems.
Maybe with your rite-up (hehe) I will have a better go at repairing/replacing....
OR maybe bite the bullet and purchase another one......

Gunz

Houligan
Bike
'08 1300
STOC #
Fantastic instructions. Used them this past weekend to lube the windscreen and drive cables; no issues and the maintenance eliminated an ever-so-slight bog point when raising the screen. (Though I must admit I reconnected the electrical and exercised the mechanism under power.) Greatly appreciated!

Bike
2009 ST1300P
Hi.

Am re-construction my 09 ST1300P and part of the process involves maintenance on the windshield set up. The original article and pictures have been very helpful (thank you!) but I have found one problem. One cable eyelet on the sliding dog has broken away from the main body and I am trying to find out how it can be repaired. Would a Lochtite Epoxy Weld product work, or is there something else out there that I could use?

Any information greatly appreciated.

Regards to all
Barry

Bike
2009 ST1300P
Hi.

Am re-construction my 09 ST1300P and part of the process involves maintenance on the windshield set up. The original article and pictures have been very helpful (thank you!) but I have found one problem. One cable eyelet on the sliding dog has broken away from the main body and I am trying to find out how it can be repaired. Would a Lochtite Epoxy Weld product work, or is there something else out there that I could use?

Any information greatly appreciated.

Regards to all
Barry

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
When I refurbished my windscreen I used with lithium grease in the tracks and a liquid graphite used primarily for the cables in automobile sun roofs. Worked very nice.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
To the OP....thank you so much for all the work you put into the PDFs...they are awesome. However, after getting the mechanism off the bike, I am at a loss. So far I have 2 questions:

Do I (can I) replace the cables? The plastic is chewed up pretty bad. To make matters worse I tried removing some of it thinking it was caked on grease (I'm a moron).

Second, a few (2-3) teeth on the gears are knicked...do I (can I) replace it.

If I could replace them all, is it more cost effective than buying the assembly?

Sorry for all the questions...i like to work on the bike but have to learn as I go. I don't have access to a computer so I'm having difficulty navigating through the website with my phone. If anyone knows of a thread can you link it? Thanks for all the help!

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
As far as I know there's no way to order just the cables. The grease almost becomes part of the old cable which can be very brittle. The original post shows the gears available They're cast from a harder material but a bit pricey, probably to offset the cost of machining them. Hope this helps.

Troy

Bike
2007 ST1300
Other than using this procedure, is there some regular lubrication that can/should be done without disassembly. Like spraying things down with silicone lube or a spray oil?

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Hi there again.
Do you still have any gears..?

I am in need of 2 off them
Would you sell (paypal etc no problem)
& Ship to South Africa?
Price...

ANd cables?

And sliders??

And.......???

Big Thank you for your time

Regards

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hi there again.
Do you still have any gears..?

I am in need of 2 off them
Would you sell (paypal etc no problem)
& Ship to South Africa?
Price...

ANd cables?

And sliders??

And.......???

Big Thank you for your time

Regards
Now what did you do? :eek:4:

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Actually As I just told Todd I could fix them with the gear, better still some of the slider/ holders for the windscreen (with the cables) and even some cables then all would be fine.......hehe all times two....

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Actually As I just told Todd I could fix them with the gear, better still some of the slider/ holders for the windscreen (with the cables) and even some cables then all would be fine.......hehe all times two....
The three parts that fail on these the most are the gears, the cables and the switches, but if in an accident, the slides will break off at the cables.

I did repair one unit for my 2004 #2 by taking a unit that both slides were broken and the cables were still good, with the slides from my unit where the cables were bad. I used the broken slides cable holders and epoxied them on the end of the cables to hold the slides on. They are still working after 20,000 miles! :D

Wrecked-2004-No2 pictures - towards the bottom

The unit I'll be giving to Todd.

Cables, slides and gears are hard to come by. Every now and then they will be on ebay! But you got to beat me to them! Unless they are over priced ;)

Hi all,

I have had the "unfortunate" opportunity to do something about my windshield mechanism myself, as mine failed a few weeks ago. I was trying to get a hold on one before, but my efforts where in vain.

somewhat surprising, i found the easiest way to make a fix, was to simply mount a few washers in between the main housing and the motor. the cable now moves slightly more outwards on the sprocket (about 1mm.. which is 1/5000st of a green mile...or thumbs, ... or whatever..)
;p

3 small washers, and one larger one for the main sprocket. I placed them tilted, so you can see where they are.
no promises yet, but i have a couple off weeks running with it, and so far it works...

another option was to grind the bracket down a bit, to move to the other side, but hey, for 50 cent.. an easy fix.

now i only need to include a picture...
[yes, .. done]

In case you want to try, keep me posted on how long and if you run into problems.
good luck to all.

:biker:
vincent

Attachments

OP
OP
warofman9
Bike
ST1300
Hello,
Yes that will get you a slightly new "bite".
The OEM gear will still crumble/ deteriorate being powder metal, unless the entire slide mechanism slides really easily.
Might buy you some time!
As previously mentioned; minimize windshield adjustment especially during high speeds and cold temperatures.

My take on Carlermotorcycleparts gear that I produced is as follows:
1) The gear is an robust exact fit replacement that will not fail/deteriorate
2) The gear will fix some windshields that have marginal cables
3) The gear may not fix windshields that have totally chewed up cables

The best prospect for keeping the movement working is preventative maintenance.
If no preventive maintenance is performed; at the first sign of erratic movement, the mechanism should be disassembled, cleaned
,lubed, friction spots alleviated, gear replaced if availiable.
Many years of trouble free windshield movement should result.

Note that I have stopped production of replacement gears due to costs, but many all over the world are still requesting these parts.
I may try producing another batch. but would like some feedback from STriders that have used my drive gears.
Please reply carlermotorcycleparts@gmail.com for comments.
warofman9 (Ricke)
Carlermotorcycleparts

Top Bottom