Article [13] ST1300 - Windshield mechanism gear relacement

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Note that I have stopped production of replacement gears due to costs, but many all over the world are still requesting these parts.
I may try producing another batch. but would like some feedback from STriders that have used my drive gears.
Please reply carlermotorcycleparts@gmail.com for comments.
warofman9 (Ricke)
Carlermotorcycleparts
That would be great Rick, you may want to post something in the group buy section w/poll as it may help you estimate the current interest/volume.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I bought one out of the first batch, but it turned out to be a bad cable, so the gear is still sitting in my parts bin. :eek:4:

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I broke some of the black plastic push in screws while taking front cowling and windshield apart. Went to Canadian Tire and they are $4.49 for two. I can buy 100 of similar looking ones on eBay for less than $10. What are they called, what size are they, diameter and length? They are the push in screws that spread apart link a gyproc wall anchor.where can i purchase rhem on line

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I have GEARS! I have sent paypal requests to those on the list......and posted the second document.

Long may you run!

ricke (warofman9)
carlermotorcycleparts@gmail.com
View attachment 142266
Hoping the gear kit purchased back then (thank you!) can revive the screen mechanism on my 03.

The bike is non ABS and the mechanism is a dealer installed after-market system that is not wired/connected per great posted doc (which was also included in the kit} and am looking for help on how to disconnect the cable from the motor. Right now the mechanism is still tethered to the bike. There is no other connector in the harness. Have to disconnect at the motor. But the connector is not cooperating....

Anybody worked on an 03 and managed to disengage this connector...without breaking it? Here is a picture of the connector. Thank you.

IMG_20170423_201622622-1 (Small).jpg IMG_20170423_201641546 (Small).jpg

Bike
2005 st1300
That red "tab" looks like a retainer. I would try and pull that out and I would think the connector would come off.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
That red "tab" looks like a retainer. I would try and pull that out and I would think the connector would come off.
I wondered about this tab as well. It is rubber. Not sure what it does. Feels like it will tear off if pulling on it and too soft to push on. Worst case I'll have to cut the cable, but would prefer to not to.

Thank you.

Bike
2005 st1300

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I broke some of the black plastic push in screws while taking front cowling and windshield apart. Went to Canadian Tire and they are $4.49 for two. I can buy 100 of similar looking ones on eBay for less than $10. What are they called, what size are they, diameter and length? They are the push in screws that spread apart link a gyproc wall anchor.where can i purchase rhem on line
Try these guys...http://wingstuff.com/products/1551-standard-or-low-profile-fairing-plastic-rivets

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
In this thread https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?93564-Windscreen-Alignment-(slipped-a-gear)/page3 , it shows a picture of what looks like you have and it looks like there is a tab off the one side that you should push to release the plug from the motor housing.
Yes same connector. Thanks for the picture, it helps. Looking at it, I'll see if I can take the motor off its mount as shown, that should give better access to the connector and finding out about the location of the locking tabs

It also shows a plug at the end of the harness, but if you say that you cant disconnect any other way, then perhaps they hard-wired yours.
I wish I had this green plug at the end of the cable as shown in the picture. This is either from the ABS bike wiring or a different kit. For my non ABS after market kit, I'd have to pull tabs from the relays to disconnect the cable (same for the Limit Switches by the way, but it was easy to unbolt them from the rails and let them hang on the bike). Would prefer to leave that side of the electrical wiring alone and pull the connector.

Bike
2012 Gold Wing
STOC #
After 12.4 years and 122K my windshield adjuster puked this morning. With what the bike is worth I am thinking I may just leave in the spot it is in and call it good. I never did use the adjustment much, found the sweet spot and usually didn't move it much. Had a spot i liked for the summer and spot I liked the rest of the year.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just snatched a "broken" unit off ebay for $43 (including shipping) With that and another one I have, I hope to make a good one! :D Which will wind up on my '04#1.

Just keep an eye on ebay, you might be able to pick one up cheap and between the two make a good one! :D

I bought one out of the first batch, but it turned out to be a bad cable, so the gear is still sitting in my parts bin. :eek:4:

Hi. do you still have that windshield drive gear of riche's. if so would you be interested in selling it ? desperate owner of broken windshield mechanism

Hi. do you still have that windshield drive gear of riche's. if so would you be interested in selling it ? desperate owner of broken windshield mechanism
just thinking that if your problem was just the cable..... did your screen tilt to one side while still working. I raised my screen up on one side on the manual adjustment and stopped using the power up and down for fear of damaging cables beyond repair. I still haven't taken cowling off to inspect the damage. My question again is , What was actually wrong with the cable on your bike if it wasnt a stripped drive gear ? I too may not need to purchase drive gears before I dismantle it but would obviously be a bummer if I stripped it down to find a stripped gear and not hasving at least 1 replacement . Ive written to Riche to see if he has any replacements but thinking from his latest posts that there may not be any. Could you get back to me with any ideas please. Be appreciated

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Maybe this project will come to life https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?162459-Replace-gear-wheel-for-windshield-unit&p=2065484&viewfull=1#post2065484

Also, some were able to extend the life of their worn out gear by shimming the mechanism with washers for the cable to engage the gear away from the worn out area.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, I still have that gear, along with three or four other gears, since I have about five borken windshield mechanisms that I have bought off ebay. I bought that replacement gear hoping it would fix my mechanism before tearing things apart too. :eek:4:

There is no way to really tell if it's one of the cables or the gear, until you take it apart. My gear looked new, whereas my cable showed some signs of it being striped. I tried to change the cable by rotating it by 180 degrees, but it still failed. There just isn't any real good way to tell what is failing without disassembly!

One trick I've heard of for fixing a bad gear is to put a washer under it to raise it up so a different part of the gear is against the cables.

just thinking that if your problem was just the cable..... did your screen tilt to one side while still working. I raised my screen up on one side on the manual adjustment and stopped using the power up and down for fear of damaging cables beyond repair. I still haven't taken cowling off to inspect the damage. My question again is , What was actually wrong with the cable on your bike if it wasnt a stripped drive gear ? I too may not need to purchase drive gears before I dismantle it but would obviously be a bummer if I stripped it down to find a stripped gear and not hasving at least 1 replacement . Ive written to Riche to see if he has any replacements but thinking from his latest posts that there may not be any. Could you get back to me with any ideas please. Be appreciated

hey Vincent. that looks like an interesting and very cheap fix. I havent dismantled my ST windscreen mecanism yet so its all theory to me so far. it appears that windscreen failure isnt always the same problem. slide bits can pull off cables. hopefully mines not a stripped gear but others have got around that too it seems. did your screen tilt to one side when it failed ? Im still getting around to attempting this repair but its good to hear about different scenarios as the problem varies. Im starting to think my problem may only be a bit missing off a cable.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
hey Vincent. that looks like an interesting and very cheap fix. I havent dismantled my ST windscreen mecanism yet so its all theory to me so far. it appears that windscreen failure isnt always the same problem. slide bits can pull off cables. hopefully mines not a stripped gear but others have got around that too it seems. did your screen tilt to one side when it failed ? Im still getting around to attempting this repair but its good to hear about different scenarios as the problem varies. Im starting to think my problem may only be a bit missing off a cable.
I tore into a unit this weekend that actually looked pretty good with a couple of possible issues (bent tubes)

Was I ever surprised! Rebuilding a Windshield-Mechanism

Hi All,

As Johbayreminded me, I had posted about my attempt to fix my mechanism with a bunch ofwashers. (see page 2) I have to say, it worked quite well. ran smooth and noissues.

Allas, algood things come to an end.

After one year, my windscreen showed me a familiar shanted look…
So I pulled the mechanism out and took a look.
Result: Gear had been worn of at the new position as well.
Cause: the cable itself was so badly damaged, it destroyed the gear in no time.
But…There might be a fix..!

Apparently it is possible to rotate the cable 180 degrees. It will by itself promptly turn back, but as I look at how it is attached to the sledge, I think it is possible to squeeze the metal where the cable is mounted, so it is fixated. Big plyer,work bench, some force.. done. That should hold the cable and thus, we can use the mint-condition side of it.

With the washers in place, and a properly cleaned slide mechanism!!, you should be able to enjoy it for several years to come.
For me, it was too far gone. I spend 400 euro, and got a new one 2 days later. J

@Johbay:
Just some nuts ‘n bolts, and two connectors. Noting you can really damage, so taking it out and opening it, should not be a big deal.
Try it, fix it, let us know how it goes.

Regards,
V

Bike
2007 ST1300
Happy November to all
Just finished reading Warofman9's ST1300 - Windshield mechanism gear replacement article dated Sept 1,2013 ( kudos for an excellent write up)
As I'm planning my winter maintenance for my '07 ST, the windshield is high on my list. I would appreciate some feedback from the group on the lubricants used and long term results
Got out yesterday to get my Nov ride in. Came home and said the rider's prayer- "just one more before the snow flies"

Top Bottom