Article [13] ST1300 - Windshield mechanism gear relacement

Hello all.
Can anyone tell if on the upper and lower limit switches on the screen, is the small silver button supposed to move in and out, thus making the connection inside the switch or is contact made by the metal arm contacting the silver button? Probably seems a daft question but neither of the buttons move on my 2 switches and the buttons have a black coating on them.
Yes the silver buttons Depress which activates the switch. Strange that yours don't. it's possible that the OEM Lube has degraded to the point of jamming that mechanism. That stuff has the consistency of what best can be described as stiff rubber.

Hi all new to the group.
Was wondering if the windshield motor gear is still available. Mine just stripped and am chasing a new one.
Cheers.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hi all new to the group.
Was wondering if the windshield motor gear is still available. Mine just stripped and am chasing a new one.
Cheers.
Welcome to the forum.

A good gear is worth more than gold at the same weight! And trying to guess the condition of one in a used unit is a crap shoot. They are out there, (ebay comes to mind) but you could buy two or three damaged units before finding a good gear. (Speaking from experience! :doh1:

Good luck with your search!

V4 Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300A4P
64170MCSG01 still listed as available in UK and US but price is eye watering.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
64170MCSG01 still listed as available in UK and US but price is eye watering.
That is for the WHOLE mechanism!

There were some that have made just replacement gears.

Gear 21112019.jpg

But I know of none that are still doing that!

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Has anyone ever considered turning off the teeth in a lathe and fitting a new gear in their place? I don't CNC or know a lot about gears, but it seems plausible if some outfit like Boston Gear sells suitable gear blanks. I'd be willing to at least try if someone donated a broken piece and we could determine the gear requirement.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
There are a lot of threads dedicated to this subject, this one seems to be one of the best.

I'm dealing with a bad cable and gear myself. Everyone says to lube your assembly. When I took mine apart, the plastic followers were warped / swollen. They were very difficult to move by hand in the channels. No amount of lube was going to help this situation. I sanded each plastic block until they could move freely in the channels. So if you are just relying on regular lubrication to keep you out of trouble, you could be fooling yourself.

Someone posted about the use of washers to lower the gear, thus moving the position up on the gear where the cables engage. You are moving the cables away from the worn section of the gear. (not sure what windshield thread that was in) I tried this and it seems to be working.

Clutch

ai, that was me.

Be warned, it lasted a year or so, since the wire is damaged, it also damages the new (part of the) gear. you need to flex the wire and try using the other side. (did not manage that myself, as it wants to flex back... maybe hotmeld or something might hold it in place till it settles. the aluminum which holds it will break if you squeeze it, so don't do that. :) )

hope it lasts a while

V

Bike
05 ST1300, 2000 K120
This document ST1300 Window Adjustment Mechanism Removal.pdf shows step by step instructions for removal of the ST1300 Window Adjustment Mechanism (Honda Part# 64170-MCS-G01).
As more owners report mechanism failure, it is becoming clear that regular removal, inspection, cleaning, lubrication and possible gear replacement is required to assure a working unit.
The OEM mechanism has 3 primary failure modes; one often leads to the other.
1) The OEM lube looses its properties, degrading into a waxy, sticky ?anti-lube? substance.
2) The gear fractures under the increased load.
3) The fragments and the rotating gear eat up the polymer portion of the drive cables.
Ideally, a lube and gear replacement should be performed before failure occurs. At the very least you stop cycling the mechanism immediately after initial failure to minimize further damage and plan the maintenance process.
Whether you choose to replace the drive gear or not, this document shows how to remove the mechanism.
A second related document ST1300 Window Adjustment Mechanism (Clean Lubricate, Re-assembly) shows how to perform the required maintenance.
Basically the steps are; remove, clean, evaluate, lube, replace gear and reassemble.
Thanks to Dave Sennister for proof-reading & all his help. (& Mellow Joe)
I have GEARS! I have sent paypal requests to those on the list......and posted the second document.
Still 140$ shipped (cont. US) including replacement gear,a 1.75oz tube of soap based lithium grease (NLGI#2), instructions and several brushes to complete the kit. Shipments outside the US, on a case by case basis.
Long may you run!
ricke (warofman9)
carlermotorcycleparts@gmail.com
View attachment 142266
Gonna pull her apart today.

Top Bottom