What about a warmest ride contest?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Yeah, I didn't understand Larry's air temp comment either, especially coming from him. Agree, must have been a senior moment... a weekly occurrence for me. ;)

We set some temp records in the Dallas area this week... saw 111° several times on my 30 minute ride home from work. The hottest I've ever ridden in for several hours was a trip from TX to CA in June 2017. Rode in 117° for several hours at a time. Had to stop every 100 miles or so to hydrate and cool off.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, getting the outside air temp to max out is easy. Especially in our southern climates and a pit stop to let the engine heat waft forward. Phx is supposed to hit 115 early next week again. :(
Yeah, we are looking at around 105F then! HOT, anyway you look at it! BUT, at least it's a DRY HEAT! :rofl1:

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
What time did you come thru Amarillo on Wednesday? I was at the Pilot on 335 around 11:30 on my way home on Wednesday :cool:
Around noon I'd guess. We left Santa Rosa about 8:30 am to Clovis, then up 60 and I-25 to I-40 eastbound. We got gas in Clovis and again in Sayre, OK, and there should have been a gas stop around Amarillo. But I don't see anything in my online credit card statement, so I must have paid cash. No idea which gas station it might have been.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Yeah, I didn't understand Larry's air temp comment either, especially coming from him. Agree, must have been a senior moment... a weekly occurrence for me. ;)

We set some temp records in the Dallas area this week... saw 111° several times on my 30 minute ride home from work. The hottest I've ever ridden in for several hours was a trip from TX to CA in June 2017. Rode in 117° for several hours at a time. Had to stop every 100 miles or so to hydrate and cool off.
I don't think I would call it a senior moment, although I've had alot of those lately :rolleyes:
What I was pointing out, or trying too at least, was I have ridden my bike in similar temps, and the dash should read close to what the outside temp is, unless your sitting idling for a long period of time, and the engine raises the temp a little bit more.
However, when the bars are maxed out and blinking, that is not a good thing, or time to keep operating your bike without concern. My first question would be "how is your clutch fluid doing?" when things are that hot.
Like everyone else in the thread, we've all ridden through Death Valley, Yuma, Arizona, or across Texas with high temp readings showing, but I've never had one Flashing at me that warning before.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't think I would call it a senior moment, although I've had alot of those lately :rolleyes:
What I was pointing out, or trying too at least, was I have ridden my bike in similar temps, and the dash should read close to what the outside temp is, unless your sitting idling for a long period of time, and the engine raises the temp a little bit more.
However, when the bars are maxed out and blinking, that is not a good thing, or time to keep operating your bike without concern. My first question would be "how is your clutch fluid doing?" when things are that hot.
Like everyone else in the thread, we've all ridden through Death Valley, Yuma, Arizona, or across Texas with high temp readings showing, but I've never had one Flashing at me that warning before.
Come on down next week and ride with me so we can compare temps! ;)

We'll be over 100F for the first part of next week and I can pretty much guaranty I'll see it a couple of times when I stop for gas. :eek:4:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
On 7-6-18 it was very hot here in Lost Angels for a week or two. Many times the ST air temp gauge was maxed out at a blinking 122*F value. I captured this one in the shade

B6266FC3-129A-4345-BFAD-124F58DCBE20.jpg

The good old ST water temp never went past 3 bars and the cooling fans ran like crazy after shutting the engine down.
However, when the bars are maxed out and blinking, that is not a good thing, or time to keep operating your bike without concern.
Larry, see highlighted red text from original post, he was never talking about the coolant temp flashing, only the ambient air temp flashing.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
OK Senior moment....the older I get, the better I was I guess :rolleyes:

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
I think it was 111* here, on my short ride home from work Wednesday.
Anything exposed will get windburn in a short time riding those temps!

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I saw 111F in Phoenix in 2007 and 112F in Death Valley on the same trip.

It's important to only take a reading after several miles of riding, since sitting in the hot sun can give a false high reading until you air it out. That can make photo proof a bit complicated, since you have to stop and take a quick pic.

Bike
ST1300
Rode from Poetry to Richardson and back yesterday (about 90 minutes) at 109 degrees. My hottest ride yet. Stopped for a quick hydration break and saw the air temp gauge flash 122 before I started moving again. Then it “cooled†back down to 109.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Well, I don't know where this number stands since a list wasn't generated, but my highest this summer was 108°F on my way home from work one day. There were quite a few days that week above 105°. We had a couple weeks that were unusually hot.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Well, I don't know where this number stands since a list wasn't generated, but my highest this summer was 108°F on my way home from work one day. There were quite a few days that week above 105°. We had a couple weeks that were unusually hot.
we had a 115°F day here in soCal back in early July, I saw 116-117 on my unofficial thermometer on my bike riding home from work that afternoon. I think SupraSabre saw similar on his way home.

edit: post #50 AV8R has a picture of his 1300 air temp at 120°F on that same day, SupraSabre only saw 111°F as he rode home a little later.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
I think I won this heated contest with my bike’s air temp blinking at 122*
So the prize is? Don’t say a trip to Buffalo in Winter

Just sayin

Top Bottom