New Battlax T30 vs BT-023

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Ok so I installed the T30's on 7/31/14 since then I have been to 2 STOC events and done 3700 miles my rear T30 is about 1/2 gone if not worse. I guess I will be going back to the PR4's. The T30 is a good tire handles well wet and dry but it is not lasting like I had hoped it would.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm at 7600 miles on the rear T30 now. Wearing very well with about 3/32" left after starting at 7/32".

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Dave I had hoped these would get me to FLSTOC and back but I don't think I would ride them for another 2k+ miles. The front is holding up well but the rear is going fast.

Bike
Vstrom 650
I have the T30's fitted,the front is the GT version,showing very little wear after 5000 miles,the rear is the standard version,half worn and squaring off after 5000 miles,alot of that was 2 up though,it's a pity they don't have the GT version in the rear 160/70-17 size.
I might try the 170/60-17 GT next time,my abs isn't working now anyway so the different size won't affect that now.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Dave I had hoped these would get me to FLSTOC and back but I don't think I would ride them for another 2k+ miles. The front is holding up well but the rear is going fast.

I wonder if weight/2 up has a big effect on wear. No offense Steve.

I'm a lightweight like Dave so hopefully I get the same wear as him.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Ok so I installed the T30's on 7/31/14 since then I have been to 2 STOC events and done 3700 miles my rear T30 is about 1/2 gone if not worse.
The GT versions, Steve? Curious, as I just bought a set. My Conti RoadAttack2 is going fast.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Yes mine is the GT version both front and rear all but the last 150 or so miles were solo. And the last bit of 2 up was with Todds daughter Emily. There was some spirited riding at NNESTOC but nothing crazy. I got at least as much mileage from the Cont Road Atack 2 as I have from the T30.

Bike
'12 GL1800
STOC #
I will chime in on the GT rear. I have a couple of friends that are running them...one on an ST1300 & the other on an FJR. Both used the rear up pretty fast. The FJR got just over 4k miles, I think. I followed him to & throughout OhioSToc & I KNOW why it went away so fast (sorry, Barry)!! I just put a set on my 1100 (GT front & reg. rear) & I expect to wear 2 rears to one front. Even doing that, my total cost will only be a little over $300, as I mount my own.....not bad for a tire that turns in & grips as well as these do, IMO.

John

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
At the first part of July I put on T30 front and rear. I just changed them out yesterday with 9000 miles on them. I ran 42 psi front and rear and had maybe a 1000 miles of two up. I have been getting between 5k and 9k miles on my tires. Metzler Z6 low, BT023 high. So 9000 in these is good for me. I cannot get a 2 to 1 front to rear to front replacement I always change together.

I will say that these tires felt very weird for the first 300 to 500 miles. The bike was all over just acting squirrelly. (I will see if the new set does the same.)After that they have been great. These tires do have sticky sides you can really bend the curves with these. But with that said with two up I have been know to slide a bit on very fast tight corners. The wife is the one that feels the slide, but it is not an uncomfortable feeling.

Below are so pictures to show the wear of these tires.

Attachments

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I ran 42 psi front and rear
I'm not surprised your bike acted a bit squirrelly with a front at 42 psi. Same with the sliding in the corners feeling. Your contact patch is smaller with the overinflated tire and the corners are where your contact patch diminishes even more and you need more grip. That "slide a bit" will quickly become a more uncomfortable feeling as soon as your bike slides out from under you (and the missus) in the blink of an eye.

36 to 38 has long been an acknowledged pressure for a front ST1100 tire. Doesn't matter what brand. The manual concurs with that.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
@Bush-I've ridden behind Grabcon and I KNOW you don't need to worry about his bike sliding out from under him. The man knows how to ride.
Knowing how to ride has nothing to do with my comment. From the appearance of those tires, it looks like most of the riding has been straight up, with the large centre flat spotting.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
And I was only stating a possible reason why his front end felt "squirrelly' and he was noticing some small slide in corners also. That small contact patch is the only thing keeping the tire on the road. Should he encounter any small bit of road grit or a greasy spot, his 'reduced from normal' contact patch could easily be compromised to the point the wheel slides right out and we all know how quick a bike will go down when that front traction is lost. Running with a proper inflation *may* change the way he feels about the tire.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I'm not surprised your bike acted a bit squirrelly with a front at 42 psi.
Bush this is a good explanation for what I have felt. It is time to experiment again with pressures.

36 to 38 has long been an acknowledged pressure for a front ST1100 tire. Doesn't matter what brand
I have run these tire pressures in the past and what was has happened is that I went thru the tires in in 2500 to 3500 miles front and rear. My 1100 compared to others is very hard on tires. It might be my riding style it might be the bike. I don't know. What I do know is that the higher tire pressure works well for me on this bike.

From the appearance of those tires, it looks like most of the riding has been straight up, with the large centre flat spotting.
I would say for most riders of these types of bikes that 75% of the time is straight up riding. That is the way roads and highways are designed. I have asked many folks about the flat spot you speak of including the people I get my tires from and no one sees that as an issue. It is considered normal for dual compound tires. If you take a closer look at the rear you will notice that there is also very even tread wear across the tire. Yes the center is wore but look at the sides wear the different rubber compounds meet it is very noticeable. The depth of the thread is even and well worn.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
It is time to experiment again with pressures.
I wouldn't experiment, I would stick with what's recommended by the MGF... MHO...

My 1100 compared to others is very hard on tires. It might be my riding style it might be the bike.
Can't be "the motorcycle"... probably the style (heavy on brakes and throttle), maybe the tarmac (abrasive), ambient & deck temperatures combined with speed (doing +100mph at >100?F and such) and to a good deal the payload/distribution...

I have asked many folks about the flat spot you speak of including the people I get my tires from and no one sees that as an issue. It is considered normal for dual compound tires.
I'm always amazed that folks manage to get 3 flat spots on their rear tires... there is the flat centre (that's from spending long highway/motorway hours, vertical...) and from that two equally angled lean marks... like if they always ride the exact same lean angle at the exact same speed...??

Obviously I'm not able to do that, yes the rear wears down, yes depending on tour/terrain a bit more at the centre, but it wears off in an oval, I never manage get this sharp edged wear pattern...??

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Obviously I'm not able to do that, yes the rear wears down, yes depending on tour/terrain a bit more at the centre, but it wears off in an oval, I never manage get this sharp edged wear pattern...??
I suggest it might be a combination of road architecture, weight and riding style. Here in Alberta (and most of North America) the majority of our roads aren't based on goat and cart tracks, but are predominantly, planned, straight road sections, with intersections generally at right angles. This puts most riding in a straight line, flattening the middle of the tire, and most turns at right angles, which focuses the wear at a particular spot. If you're like me and ride conservatively with a pinion, the extra wear cornering with that extra weight is not near the edge of the contact patch, but generally focused on one strip on each side of the tire, fairly close to the edge of the harder centre material, which removes the softer rubber exposing the edge of the harder centre material. I suspect this is what produces the three flat spots on the rear tire. YM obviously V.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Here in Alberta (and most of North America) the majority of our roads aren't based on goat and cart tracks, but are predominantly, planned, straight road sections, with intersections generally at right angles.
So they take a map, place a ruler on it, draw a line and that's the road... ;-)

YM obviously V.
Obviously... :lol:

Over here roads often just follow the layout of ancient trading/grazing routes, windings of rivers/creeks, or the geology by hugging onto mountain edges ;-)
So offer an infinite variation of radii, tightness, opening, closing and combinations of all... thus the lack off triple flat-spotted tires, regardless their make or compound mix...

But I still think that heavy braking, harsh operation of throttle/clutch (and payload) are contributing factors...
Maybe a more smooth, analogue style would also smoother the wear pattern...

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I agree with you John I wasn't sure what I was going to do about a new rear but ended up ordering another T30 GT $104 I think it might have been $114.

Top Bottom