New Battlax T30 vs BT-023

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
When I needed tires last fall, I didn't find BT-020s available for a decent price. I decided to try the BT-023 GTs instead and found a set from those two crazy brothers for $230 shipped; a fair deal at the time. The GTs are supposed to offer more mileage than previous offerings. I mounted them last fall and so far, I've been happy with them after the first 4000 or so miles. I got nearly 12000 miles on the previous set of BT-020s and I'm hoping for at least that much from the BT-023 GTs; so far, they both look very good. I figure that I'll need another set sometime during late summer, so I just bit the bullet and ordered another set of BT-023 GTs from Iron Pony for $186 shipped. That may be the last good deal I will find on BT-023 GTs before I consider something else.

Last edited:
I'm guessing at least some of us may be getting an email on Monday that Iron Pony sold out of 023's :) There are going to wonder why the sudden flurry of orders. I was going to order pr4's, but at $185, I can't pass it up.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Has anyone found the T30 GT to suit the ST1100 abs11? I can get them in the non GT spec ok. 023's are about $45 cheaper.

the only T30 I can find in the right size for the front is down on the list as a rear tyre,120/70/18
the rear tyre T30's are dual compound while the fronts are single compound.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just ordered a set of 023s from Iron Pony....I hope they have them in stock to ship. I am at 6200 miles on a set and the rear tire is at 3/32" tread after starting at 7/32". The most I got so far out of a Pilot Road 2 or 3 was about 9000 miles. If I don't get that out of this 023 the per mile cost is still ahead. I paid $265 for the current set on the bike and this set was $185 to my door from Iron Pony. While the wet grip of the PR3 is top of the pack the 023 feels better in the dry and isn't far behind in the wet. YMMV
I called Iron Pony this morning to make sure they had stock and was assured they had a GT combo in 1300 sizes with my name on it. Later in the day I got a confirmation email and a tracking number. Smoking deal.

I received mine from Iron Pony yesterday. They definitely have stiff sidewalls.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Bike
Vstrom 650
My German is a bit rusty Martin, but I don't think those are GT spec, I can get the front in GT spec,in fact my tyres arrived today and I have them fitted,
the front is the GT spec, but the rear isn't available in the GT spec so I have the standard version, I'll see now how they do, went for a 30 mile spin this evening to begin the scrubbing in process,I didn't balance the wheels and I thought I felt a slight vibration in the handlebars that wasn't there before,
could be the imagination kicking in though,I'll give it a few hundred miles to see if it settes down.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
My German is a bit rusty Martin...
Didn't think it matters when it comes to reading dimensions/type... :wink:
However, knock yourself out on their UK site: http://www.bridgestone.co.uk/moto/ranges/battlax/t30/

The weird thing is, that no Bridgestone site lists a T30-GT... only bikebandit.com comes up with that appendix... sooo... ?

I didn't balance the wheels and I thought I felt a slight vibration in the handlebars that wasn't there before, could be the imagination kicking in though...
Not balancing (or at least 'matching' the MFG dot with the valve stem position) is always an issue...
Spinning them on the balancer stand will also give a visual if a tire is warped or shows a radial run-out/bounce...
(had both showing on a D205F once... unrideable... Dunflops are crap anyway... same then on a BT54F... vibrates the watch off your wrist...)
It could also be that the carcass is stiffer, so you might feel more pounding through the unevenness or the roadway...
Or, also possible, that you start to experience a 'shimmy'... looking at the thread-pattern of that T30, missing the 'central groove' aiding wheel guidance, I would not exclude that...

Bike
Vstrom 650
Not balancing (or at least 'matching' the MFG dot with the valve stem position) is always an issue
I done around 50 miles today and she felt fine,on some rough enough roads,never even thought about that 'dot' or matching it with the valves stem,now I've got to run out and check,LOL never a dull moment with this ST.
If I could just get the abs fault sorted now,then change the oil and filter and hopefully ride the wheels of her this year without any further dramas.
I have a notion to buy a crosstourer next year.I think it would be a great compromise bike for me.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...never even thought about that 'dot' or matching it with the valves stem...
LOL! Tire installation 1on1, the yellow dot signifies the 'light' spot on a tire, AKA 'pre balanced' by the MFG...
Ditto with always install new valve-stem when getting new tires... :wink:

Bike
Vstrom 650
LOL! Tire installation 1on1, the yellow dot signifies the 'light' spot on a tire, AKA 'pre balanced' by the MFG...
Ditto with always install new valve-stem when getting new tires...
oops, LOL I seem to learn everything the hard way, she seems 100% fine now anyway,I'll post back later hopefully I got lucky and that yellow dot is lined with the valve. I didn't bother fitting a new valve either.
I got the tyres fitted at a local auto tyre fitters,I don't suppose the fitter would have even been aware of any of this stuff regarding motorcycle tyres.
Ah well you live and learn,and hopefully don't make the same mistake/get fooled twice, as G.Dubya.Bush famously said.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I didn't bother fitting a new valve either.
hmm... risky... over time the rubber dries out/rots, suffers cracks and one day... puff...
I got the tyres fitted at a local auto tyre fitters, I don't suppose the fitter would have even been aware of any of this stuff regarding motorcycle tyres.
Well, actually they should, as the same accounts for car tires... not so much on agricultural machinery though... :wink:
But getting MT's installed at CT-shops mostly seems an issue... not lubricating the drive-spline comes to mind, neglecting the use of torque-wrenches, banging up the ABS sensors and such...
There are some that work well and carefully however...

Bike
Vstrom 650
Well, actually they should, as the same accounts for car tires... not so much on agricultural machinery though...
But getting MT's installed at CT-shops mostly seems an issue... not lubricating the drive-spline comes to mind, neglecting the use of torque-wrenches, banging up the ABS sensors and such...
There are some that work well and carefully however...
I removed and re fitted the wheels myself,so nothing got banged about and I put moly paste on the splines, they only charged 10 euro to fit the new tyres, I might get the front wheel removed and balanced the next day I'm at a proper motorbike shop. It will be interesting to see how far out the balance is.

I forgot to mention,I see those yellow dots now, they are in the same quadrant as the valve put probably 6 or 8 inches along the rim from it. It will be interesting to see how it fares when I get the balance checked.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The weird thing is, that no Bridgestone site lists a T30-GT... only bikebandit.com comes up with that appendix... sooo... ?
The websites have not been updated...I have the 2014 Bridgestone MC Tire Data Book and it lists GT spec tires to fit the ST1300 but not the 1100 rear size.

Bike
Vstrom 650
The websites have not been updated...I have the 2014 Bridgestone MC Tire Data Book and it lists GT spec tires to fit the ST1300 but not the 1100 rear size.
Yes I have the front 120/70/18 GT fitted, the rear is non GT 160/70/17 I don't think there's a problem having one of them GT, anyway it rides fine, just have them scrubbed in, dry grip is great, haven't had them in the wet yet though.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Yeah, despite making great MT's and CT's, Bridgestone has a known reputation for having a mess in their literature/documentations...
Since over a decade frequent rumours appear about their Exedra G547/548 being discontinued... only because their randomly omitted in some catalogues...

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Ditto with always install new valve-stem when getting new tires... :wink:
Even better, put your wheel on the balancer without the tire and mark the heavy spot on the wheel itself. I have done this to at least 30 wheels and the heavy spot has never been at the valve stem.

Then match the light spot of the tire with the heavy spot on the wheel. This cuts down on the amount of weight necessary to properly balance the tire/wheel combo.

I change rubber valve stems about every other tire change or every two years, whichever comes first.

Michelin PR fans - there is no light spot mark on these tires unless they started with the PR4s.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Even better, put your wheel on the balancer without the tire and mark the heavy spot on the wheel itself. I have done this to at least 30 wheels and the heavy spot has never been at the valve stem.
Sure, cast alloy/aluminium can never be that precise...
Then match the light spot of the tire with the heavy spot on the wheel. This cuts down on the amount of weight necessary to properly balance the tire/wheel combo.
By this you already describe the process of "matching"...
Good tire-guys do that to minimise (ideal: eliminate) the amount of balancing weight, by rotating the tire on the rim back and forth to find the 'best spot'...
But most just don't have the extra time to do that, so they place the dot to the valve stem, hammer/glue the required max 5 gram on the rim, and done...

Bike
Vstrom 650
Just to report on the T30's, I think they are a brilliant tyre,they heat up quick,the grip is fantastic,they seem to have stiffer sidewalls anyway the bike feels more comfortable if that makes sense. The GT front should last longer,we'll see.

Bike
09 ST1300
STOC #
I have a Pilot Road on the front and hate it because it's so noisy!! I'm trashing it after @ 3K miles and planned on going back to the BT-23. But now the T-30?
Those of you who have run the T-30, is it as quiet as the BT-23?

thanks

Top Bottom