Article [13] ST1300 - Electric Windshield Assembly - Remove / Clean / Reinstall

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I pulled the adjuster mechanism and cleaned it up. The good news is the gear is not showing any signs of wear and in great shape. The cables are showing some wear. The rubber coating that comes in contact with the gear was worn. Nothing terrible. I found that the track that the dawg rides in was "pinched" at the points where the bracket was attached. This pinch point significantly inhibited the movement of the dawg. I was able to open it just slightly to free up the movement of the dawg. I used a large flat screw driver with a towel over the end so as to not mar the surfaces. A little adjustment sure went a long way. The be honest, I can't believe the mechanism even worked because the movement was so inhibited. This was the case on both tracks/sides. Has anyone else ever run across this?

Another thing that I came across was the spacer in between the dawg and the carriage made the movement REALLY tight and difficult. I took the spacer out on both sides and it moves much better and there isn't alot of play. Can anyone tell me if this is OK? I think I read in a post that someone else had done this but I can't find the post.

Thanks in advance. Rides Safe.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
My bad....I just re-read this post and both my questions were answered. Fingers crossed as I'm putting it back in the bike today.

Ride Safe.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Thanks for this article! I was already part way into the removal, piece by piece (had to do it that way because when I installed my cruise control, I threaded the cable through the lower (l)oops!) and hoping to not drop any bolts or washers into the front abyss when I decided to document and possibly put together an article. Lo and behold, it was already done, and done well. Only suggestion I'd make is to consider putting the windshield brackets back on the dogs before inserting the unit back into the front of the bike; the bolts are sort of difficult to get to once installed again and it would be very frustrating to drop one so close to being done!

I used lithium grease; will prob check it in a few more years to see how it is holding up, and relube what I can reach without removing whenever I'm into the front end. I don't move the windshield much, so mine wasn't worn at all (approaching 100k miles) and should be good for the life of the bike now. The dogs seemed difficult to move by hand when going back together (possibly due to rotating the cables); unfortunately I didn't check them prior to removing to see what the comparison might have been. Fortunately, it appears the motor has no problem with them.

Thanks to everyone who posts their experiences on this site...it's been very helpful and encouraging to do a better maintenance job on the ride.

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Thanks to another member for pointing out a used mechanism here in Canada. I got it for $140cdn dollars including postage, me happy Rob.. Just disassembled it. All looks good. Cleaned it and discovered I have no soap based lithium grease. Hope I can find some somewhere tomorrow. I fear no other grease will do. Can't wait to take my old one off and pop in my new to me mechanism. 4years with mine wired in the middle position. I wonder what it will feel like to push that button and magically see my windshield go up and down.!I

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
seeking recommendations on "soap based white lithium grease". I want to lubricate the dickens out of my new to me mechanism before I put it back together and put it on my bike. I thought I could pop to local Canadian Tire to pick up grease but no luck. I can't find any in my area. I see petroleum based grease, others don't say what the "base" is but warning label states keep away from flames, so I assume petroleum based. Are others using sprays or grease from a tube? Any specific names appreciated. Honda shop was not helpful.

I followed the instructions and took my windscreen mechanism apart for cleaning and lube. Thanks for the great instructions! I noticed that the cables are in pretty bad shape. Has anyone attempted to re-coat them with something? Would epoxy work? Thanks!

Appreciate all the support from the ST board.

ST1300 owners
Machined & Heat treated replacement gear kits are now in stock.
The gears are machined from heat treated 4140 steel bar stock and will not deteriorate like the OEM powder metal drive gear.
They are a simple drop-in replacement for the Honda gear and provides insurance against total failure and often fixes completely failed mechanisms.
Note that its best to replace the drive gear and clean these expensive assemblies prior to complete failure.

See these threads for further details:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...ent&highlight=
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...all&highlight=

ST1300 windshield adjuster gears made by a small shop here in the USA.
Gear kits are still 140$ shipped (anywhere in continental US)(multiple kit orders could be less). The kit includes the replacement gear,a 1.75 oz tube of soap based lithium grease (NLGI#2), and several brushes. Shipments outside the US, on a case by case basis (shipping varies quite a bit) but should be around 160$.
Paypal is preferred. carlermotorcycleparts@gmail.com tell me your general location and the quantity desired.
As always; thanks to everyone who has contributed technically and otherwise.
ricke (warofman9)
Hello there;
My ST1300 windscreen goes up but not down, do you think your home made gear could fix the problem ? I’m interested to buy one. Do you ship to Canada ?
Do you have a picture of the gear ?
Thanks

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Hello there;
My ST1300 windscreen goes up but not down, do you think your home made gear could fix the problem ? I’m interested to buy one. Do you ship to Canada ?
Thanks
I don't believe that worfman9 is selling these anymore. He has not been on this site for almost a year.

Have a look at the two below threads for a new replacement gear initiative;
Potential Repair Solution for ST1300 Windscreen Mechanism
Call for Action (ST1300 Windshield Mech Repair Kit)

Before you order any parts, you need to diagnose the problem with your windshield. It may not be the gear causing your problem. It could be a faulty switch, switch contact, the limit switch, or several other things.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hello there;
Thanks

That problem is usually a switch. Easiest way to test it is to swap them around. Then if your windshield is doing opposite, then you know it's a switch. If you need a switch assembly, contact me through a "message".

Here is the story, I already took it to Honda dealer; the assembly gear was B/O and out of price ($ 1,000 with taxes) , so they fixed it, but they say it will do it again,...and they were right, one season later, it did the same thing. I say season, because I'm from Montreal, Canada, and we don't ride all year long.
Hw to swap the switch around ? I have to disassembled first right ?
cheers

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks for these articles. I used them last year to clean/lube and it worked for a few days, but didn’t last. After seeing the wear on the gear and cables, I wasn’t expecting much. Bought a new assembly and installed it today. Was pretty easy with the well written article. Thanks again!

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I think that I used lithium grease - but my drive gear and cables were all in decent shape. The key thing is to not allow the mechanism to become covered in grit as that will chew up the gear and the cables.

Also, everyone really should be aware that Bike-Quip has reproduced the key parts of the ST1300 windshield mechanism and so if yours craps out - you can replace the worn parts with brand new ones.

Pete

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
I think that I used lithium grease - but my drive gear and cables were all in decent shape. The key thing is to not allow the mechanism to become covered in grit as that will chew up the gear and the cables.

Also, everyone really should be aware that Bike-Quip has reproduced the key parts of the ST1300 windshield mechanism and so if yours craps out - you can replace the worn parts with brand new ones.

Pete
Hey Peter.
Do you know if Bike-Quip sells the cables as well? I see new assemblies are $400 USD plus on HondaParts.com.
I'm going to attempt another rebuild/lubrication this spring and see if I get anywhere.
Will report later.
Dave

Great article! I'm disassembling now to clean and lube.

Question, should the nosepiece bar/wire touch the nosepiece? Mine has a gap of about 3/8 inch.

Thanks,
Ron

Attachments

Bike
2006 ST 1300
I know this is a pretty dated thread. But good sound working advice is never in abundant supply. I stumbled across this little trick quite by accident. I hate a dirty wind screen! The more cleaning T.L.C. you do. The more scratched it becomes.
Take your wind screen off the bike. Lay it on a large soft cloth like a beach towell. Then take a pan of warm water and your clay bar. Then gently scrub away on both sides of the screen with the clay bar and plenty of water. You can tell by the way the clay bar moves super freely across the area your cleaning. I use the term "slicker than snot on a door knob" You've successfully removed a multitude of sins of scratches from Summers past plus bug damages. Then apply a couple of coats of your favorite car wax. Now you have a very renewed wind screen.
Please note! I have not tried the new ceramic liquid waxes that;ve recently his the market.

Top Bottom