Steering Stem race/bearing tool kit review

Borrowed the steer tube bearing tool kit from John and all I can say is wow, having the right tool for the job is soooooo nice.

I am one who on occasion makes my own tools or improvises and gets stuff done, this was a case where I sure am glad this tool kit was available..........that # 3 tool (lower bearing race remover) is invaluable, worth the price of admission just for that one tool. Having a press that is precisely the correct size is nice too!

All of the white papers from various ST gurus printed out in the box already was super cool (with tips from previous users too). I actually felt honored to be one of the many home mechanics who has had his hands on this tool set, knowing so many talented persons had previously used them.

Many thanks to John O. Bravo/

-mtnpat

Bike
1994 ST1100
I just removed my head bearings recently ready to fit tapered rollers.
Didn't have the special tools either so I improvised by taking an old crowbar, which has been unused in the garage for the last 10 years, and bending the flattened end at about 45 degrees. I read about somebody else - I think it was on here - who used concrete re-enforcing bar and a grinder to make a similar arrangement. Just use the bent end to tap on the bearing outer race from the opposite end of the stem tube. Move round in a circle tapping as you go. Eventually the bearing drops onto the floor! Both removed in about 3 minutes.
Brilliant!!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I just removed my head bearings recently ready to fit tapered rollers.
Didn't have the special tools either so I improvised by taking an old crowbar, which has been unused in the garage for the last 10 years, and bending the flattened end at about 45 degrees. I read about somebody else - I think it was on here - who used concrete re-enforcing bar and a grinder to make a similar arrangement. Just use the bent end to tap on the bearing outer race from the opposite end of the stem tube. Move round in a circle tapping as you go. Eventually the bearing drops onto the floor! Both removed in about 3 minutes.
Brilliant!!
I used the same method with a length of threaded rod, either 1/4" or 5/16", I can't recall since I did it in 1997. But I need to replace the bearings again, so I may opt for the official tool this time.

BTW, I work for Broadcom and we have an office in Swindon, know anybody who works there?

I ended up using a bent screw driver. I hate doing head bearings. Fingers crossed, that'll be that for the next 75,000 miles

Top Bottom